Rapid fluorescence assessment of intracellular pH as a viability indicator of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 88, Issue 5, pages 809–816, May 2000
How to Cite
Chitarra, L.G., Breeuwer, P., Van Den Bulk, R.W. and Abee, T. (2000), Rapid fluorescence assessment of intracellular pH as a viability indicator of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 88: 809–816. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.01014.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7422/10/99: received 8 October 1999, revised 17 December 1999 and accepted 21 December 1999
- 1933) The control of tomato bacterial canker (Aplanobacter michiganensis E.F.S.) by fruit pulp fermentation in the seed extraction process. Proceedings of the Utah Academy of Science Arts and Letters 10, 19 23.
- 1996) A novel method for continuous determination of the intracellular pH in bacteria with the internally conjugated fluorescent probe 5 (and 6-)-carboxyfluorescein succinimidyl ester. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62, 178 183. , , ,
- 1930) Studies on bacterial canker of tomato. Journal of Agricultural Research 41, 825 851.
- 1999) Rapid fluorescence assessment of the viability of stressed Lactococcus lactis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65, 3681 3689. , , , ,
- 1984) Clavibacter: a new genus containing some phytopathogenic coryneform bacteria, including Clavibacter xyli subsp. xyli sp. nov., subsp. nov. and Clavibacter xyli subsp. cynodontis subsp. nov., pathogens that cause ratoon stunting disease of sugarcane and bermudagrass stunting disease. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 34, 107 117. , , ,
- 1989) Effect of seed extraction methods and seed treatments on control of tomato bacterial canker. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 11, 400 408.
- 1994) The use of fluorogenic esters to detect viable bacteria by flow cytometry. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 77, 221 228. &
- 1996) In Handbook of Fluorescent Probes and Research Chemicals ed. Larison, K.D. p. 679. Eugene, OR: Molecular Probes Inc.
- 1993) Reliability of calcein acetoxy methyl ester and ethidium homodimer or propidium iodide for viability assessment of microbes. Journal of Microbiological Methods 17, 1 16. , , ,
- 1992) Rapid assessment of bacterial viability and vitality by rhodamine 123 and flow cytometry. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 72, 410 422. &
- 1997) Viability of starved Pasteurella piscicida in seawater monitored by flow cytometry and the effect of antibiotics on its resuscitation. Letters in Applied Microbiology 24, 122 126. , , ,
- 1995) The ability of membrane potential dyes and calcafluor white to distinguish between viable and non-viable bacteria. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 78, 309 315. , , , ,
- 1990) Acid tolerance of Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Lactobacillus plantarum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 56, 2120 2124. , ,
- 1933) The estimation of the bacterial power of the blood. Journal of Hygiene 38, 732 749. &
- 1997) Evaluation of flow cytometric methods for the detection and viability assessment of bacteria from soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 29, 91 100. , ,
- 1989) Detection and identification of bacteria. In Detection of Bacteria in Seed and Other Planting Material. ed. Saettler, A.W., Schaad, N.W. and Roth, D.A. pp. 9 16. St Paul, MN: The American Phytopathological Society.
- 1976) Seed and plant bed treatments for bacterial canker of tomato. Plant Disease Report 60, 163 166. &
- 1973) Tomato bacterial canker: Control by seed treatment. Plant Disease Report 57, 974 977. , , ,