Integrating species and habitat data for nature conservation in Great Britain: data sources and methods
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Global Ecology and Biogeography
Volume 8, Issue 5, pages 329–345, September 1999
How to Cite
Griffiths, G. H., Eversham, B. C. and Roy, D. B. (1999), Integrating species and habitat data for nature conservation in Great Britain: data sources and methods. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 8: 329–345. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2699.1999.00143.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- (1991) Monitoring at the County Level. Monitoring for conservation and ecology. (ed. by F.B.Goldsmith), pp. 155-173. Chapman & Hall, London. .
- (1994). The butterflies of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, p. 160. Pisces Publications, Newbury. .
- (1997) A wide-ranging conservation. Mapping Awareness, 11, 32-34. & .
- (1995) Describing and managing uncertainty of categorical maps in GIS. Innovations in GIS 2. (ed. by P.F.Fisher), pp. 71-83. Taylor and Francis, London. & .
- (1996) Predicting the spatial distribution of buzzard Buteo buteo nesting areas using a GIS and remote sensing. J. appl. Ecol. 33, 1541-1550. , , , .
- (1989) A new model for the continuum concept. Vegetatio, 83, 35-47. & .
- (1996) Why are dormice so rare—a case study in conservation biology. Mammal Rev. 26, 157-187. & .
- (1996) The ITE Land Classification: Providing an environmental stratification of Great Britain. Environ. Assessment Monitoring, 39, 36-46. , , , .
- (1995) An environmentally defined biogeographical zonation of Scotland designed to reflect species distributions. J. Ecol, 83, 833-845. , , , , .
- (1916). Plant succession: analysis of the development of vegetation. Carnegie Institute, Washington. .
- (1961) The Second Land Use Survey: progress and prospect. Geogr. J. 127, 168-186. .
- Commission of the European Communities. (1991). CORINE biotopes: the design, compilation and use of an inventory of sites of major importance for nature conservation in the European Community. Commission of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- Commission of the European Communities. (1992). Council Directive 92/43 EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and wild fauna and flora. Official Journal of the European Communities, No. L206/7.
- (1991) Energy and large scale patterns of animal and plant species richness. Am. Nat. 137, 28-49. .
- (1987) Large-scale biogeographical patterns of species richness in trees. Nature, 329, 326-327. & .
- Department of Environment. (1994) Biodiversity: the UK Action Plan, p. 188. Presented to Parliament by the Secretaries of State for Environment and for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs. HMSO, London.
- (1986) Assessments using invertebrates: posing the problem. Wildlife conservation evaluation. (ed. by M.B.Usher), pp. 271-293. Chapman & Hall, London. .
- (1994). UK directory of ecological information, p. 185. Packard, Chichester. & .
- (1994) Using invertebrates to monitor land use change and site management. Br. J. Ent. Nat. Hist. 7, 36-45. .
- (1992) Research applications using data from species surveys in Britain. Faunal inventories of sites for cartography and nature conservation. (ed. by J.L.Van Goethem and P.Grootaert), pp. 29-40. Proceedings 8th International Colloquium of the European Invertebrate Survey, Brussels, September, 1991. , , , , .
- Biodiversity research using national data. English Nature Research Reports. & . (in press)
- (1986) An initial classification of the habits of aquatic Coleoptera in north-east England. J. Appl. Ecol. 23, 841-852. , , .
- (1994) Conservation of fragmented populations. Conserv. Biol. 8, 50-59. & .
- (1995) Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9, 1425-1441. , , , , , , .
- (1994) The land cover map of GB: an automated classification of Landsat ™ data. Photogramm. Engng Remote Sensing 60, 553-567. , , .
- (1991) The global magnitude of insect species richness. Conserv. Biol. 5, 283-296. .
- (1994) Biodiversity-measurement. Prog. Phys. Geogr. 18, 565-574. .
- (1995) Large scale patterns of biodiversity: spatial variation in family richness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B, 260, 149-154. , , , .
- (1997) Estuary shape, sediments and geographic position. BTO News, 208, 5. . et al.
- (1993) Use of preferred nesting habitat by stone curlews Burhinus oedicnemus in relation to vegetation structure. J. Zool. Lond. 233, 457-471. & .
- Landscape pattern and species richness; regional scale analysis from remote sensing. Int J. Remote Sensing, in press . , , . (in press)
- (1996) Temporal monitoring of soil moisture using ERS-1 SAR data. Hydrol. Processes, 10, 1127-1138. & .
- (1992) Global biodiversity: status of the Earth's living resources. A report compiled by the World Conservation Monitoring Centre , Chapman & Hall, London. .
- (1996) Quantifying landscape structure: a review of landscape indices and their application to forested landscapes. Prog. Phys. Geogr. 20, 418-445. & .
- (1997) A flora of Cumbria: comprising the vice-counties of Westmorland with Furness (v.c.69), Cumberland (v.c.70), and parts of North-west Yorkshire (v.c.65) and North Lancashire (v.c.60). Centre for North-West Regional Studies, University of Lancaster. .
- (1992) Metapopulation dynamics—brief history and conceptual domain. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 42, 3-16. & .
- (1990) Biological survey: need and network. A review of progress towards national policies. National perspectives in biological recording in the UK. (ed. by G. Stansfield and P.T. Harding), pp. 1-15. National Federation for Biological Recording, Cambridge. .
- (1992) The Centre: a pioneer in data gathering and retrieval. Recording of changes in British wildlife. (ed. by P.T.Harding), pp. 5-18. HMSO, London. & .
- (1995) Preface. Biodiversity measurement and estimation. (ed. by D.L. Hawksworth), pp. Royal Society, Chapman & Hall, London. & .
- (1992) Beta diversity on geographic gradients in Britain. J. anim Ecol. 61, 151-158. , , .
- (1979) TWINSPAN— A FORTRAN program for arranging multivariate data in an ordered two-way table by classification of the individuals and attributes. Cornell University, Ithaca. .
- (1991) Patterns of species distribution in Britain elucidated by canonical correspondence analysis. J. Biogeogr. 18, 247-255. .
- (1991). Atlas of Bryophytes of Britain and Ireland. 1. Liverworts (Hepaticae and Anthocerotae). Harley Books, Colchester. , , . (eds)
- (1992). Atlas of Bryophytes of Britain and Ireland. 2. Mosses (Except Diplolepideae). Harley Books, Colchester. , , . (eds)
- (1994). Atlas of Bryophytes of Britain and Ireland. 3. Mosses (Diplolepideae). Harley Books, Colchester. , , . (eds)
- (1996) Influences of population size and woodland area on bird species distributions in small woods. Oecologia, 105, 100-106. . et al .
- (1996) The ecological significance of diversity,. Ambio, 25, 409-415. .
- (1996) Linking ecological information recorded from ground, air and space: examples from Countryside Survey 1990. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. Letts, 5, 227-234. , , .
- Hunting Surveys and Consultants Ltd. (1986). Monitoring landscape change. Main Report , Volume 1.
- (1995) Modelling present and potential future ranges of some European higher plants using climate response surfaces. J. Biogeogr. 22, 967-1001. , , , .
- (1998). The flora of Oxfordshire. Pisces Publications, Newbury. , , .
- (1995) Biodiversity conservation in Britain. Letts Br. Wildlife 6 . .
- (1986). An atlas of Oxfordshire butterflies. Oxfordshire County Council, Oxford. & .
- (1995) Landscape ecology and biogeography. Prog. Phys. Geogr. 19, 18-34. .
- (1997) The use of satellite imagery to estimate dunlin Calidris alpina in Caithness and Sutherland and in the Shetland Islands,. Bird Study, 44, 220-226. & .
- (1994) The numbers and spatial distribution of species: analyses of British data. Syst. Conserv. Eval. 50, 177-195. , , .
- (1996) The role of remotely-sensed habitat variables in determining national patterns of biodiversity. The spatial dynamics of biodiversity. (ed. by I.A. Simpson and P. Dennis), pp. 179-182. Proc. Fifth Annual IALE (UK) Conference, Stirling, September, 1996. , , .
- (1942) The trophic dynamic concept of ecology,. Ecology, 2, 399-418. .
- (1995) Biodiversity, biotechnology, and business. Environ. Conserv. 22, 201-210. .
- (1981) Criteria used in assessing wildlife conservation potential: a review. Biol. Conserv. 21, 79-109. & .
- (1988) Threatened biotas: ‘Hot spots’ in tropical forests. The Environment, 8, 187-208. .
- (1990) The biodiversity challenge: Expanded hot-spot analysis. The Environment, 10, 243-256. .
- (1994) Declining biodiversity can alter the performance of ecosystems. Nature, 368, 734-737. , , , , .
- Nature Conservancy Council. (1987) Changes in the Cumbrian Countryside. First report of the National Countryside Monitoring Scheme, Research and Survey in Nature Conservation, no. 5. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough.
- Nature Conservancy Council. (1987) Handbook for Phase 1 Habitat Survey—a technique for environmental audit. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough.
- (1988) Indices of landscape pattern. Landscape Ecol, 1, 153-162. . et al .
- (1996). The Comparative Environment Index: Final report— information requirements and protocol, p. 55. Report to the Department of Environment. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Huntingdon. , , , , , .
- (1994). The economic value of biodiversity, p. 172. Earthscan, London. & .
- (1962). Atlas of the British Flora. Nelson, London. & .
- (1996) Application of GIS for analysing the effect of landscape connectivity on the distribution of Abex ater in a hedgerow network (ed. by I.A. Simpson and P. Dennis), pp. 17-24. The spatial dynamics of biodiversity. Proc. Fifth Annual IALE (UK) Conference, Stirling, September, 1996. , , .
- (1994) Recent changes in the distribution and abundance of British butterflies: interpreting the changes. Ecology and conservation of butterflies (ed. by A.S. Pullen), pp. 23-36. Proceedings 25th Aniversary Symposium of the British Butterfly Conservation Society. Chapman & Hall, London. & .
- (1993a) Rare species, the coincidence of diversity hotspots and conservation strategies. Nature, 365, 335-337. , , , .
- (1993b) Correcting for variation in recording effort in analyses of diversity hotspots. Biodiv. Letts, 1, 39-53. , , , , .
- (1977) A nature conservation review, p. 401. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. .
- (1986) Selection of important areas for wildlife conservation in Great Britain: the Nature Conservancy Councils approach. Wildlife conservation evaluation. (ed. by M.B.Usher). Chapman & Hall, London. .
- (1998). Squaring the circle—bias in distribution maps. Br. Wildlife, 9, 213-219. .
- (1992) Recording bias in botanical surveys. Watsonia, 19, 73-95. & .
- (1996) Changes in the vascular plant floras of England and Scotland between 1930 and 1960 and 1987-88: The BSBI Monitoring Scheme. Biol. Conserv, 75, 217-229. & .
- (1991) British plant communities. Volume 1: woodlands and scrub, p. 395. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. .
- (1995) Soil, vegetation and space—an analysis of their effects on the invertebrate communities of a moorland in northeast England. J. appl. Ecol, 32, 506-518. , , , .
- (1990) Biological consequences of ecosystem fragmentation: a review. Conserv. Biol, 5, 18-32. , , .
- (1984) Measuring beta diversity with presence-absence data. J. Ecol, 72, 1055-1064. & .
- (1992) The lost land: land use change in England 1945-90, p. 80. A Report for the Council for the Protection of Rural England. Blackmore Press, Dorset. .
- (1977) Habitat, the templet for ecological strategies. J. anim Ecol, 46, 337-365. .
- (1932) The land utilisation of Britain. Nature, 129, 709-711. .
- (1995) Estimating rates of butterfly decline from distribution maps: the effect of scale. Biol. Conserv, 73, 59-65. & .
- (1994) Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature, 371, 65-66. , , , .
- (1987) Does solar energy control organic diversity Butterflies, moths and the British climate. Oikos, 48, 195-205. , , .
- (1989) Landscape ecology: The effect of pattern on process. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst, 20, 171-197. .
- (1987) Effects of patch size, isolation and regional abundance on forest bird communities. Landscape Ecol, 1, 59-73. & .
- (1996) Methodology for an assessment of Europe's biodiversity. European Centre for Nature Conservation, Tilburg. .
- (1960) Vegetation of the Siskiyou Mountains, Oregon and California. Ecol. Monogr, 30, 279-338. .
- (1991) A review of Phase 1 habitat survey in England, p. 101. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough. .
- (1993) comparison of land cover definitions: dictionary of surveys and classifications of land cover and land use. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology. , , , , .
- (1998) The use of phytosociological data in conservation assessment: a case study of lowland grasslands in mid Wales. Biol. Conserv, 86, 125-138. , , .