The experience of early miscarriage from a male perspective
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 325–332, July 1998
How to Cite
Murphy , F. A. (1998), The experience of early miscarriage from a male perspective. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 7: 325–332. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2702.1998.00153.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Cited By
- early miscarriage;
• In the literature there is increasing awareness of the psychological consequences of early miscarriage for women.
• However, there is little on the feelings, needs and experiences of men whose partner has had an early miscarriage.
• This paper aims to describe the experience of early miscarriage from a male perspective using a phenomenological approach.
• Seven categories related to the experience of early miscarriage are discussed: Feelings, Loss, Characteristics and differences between men and women, Staff action and attitudes, What to do?, Coping and Time.
• Based on an awareness of the needs of both partners, it is suggested that nurses have a key role to play in delivering effective interventions after early miscarriage.