Construct validity of the Nursing Care Dependency Scale
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 380–388, July 1999
How to Cite
DIJKSTRA, A., BUIST, G., MOORER, P. and DASSEN, T. (1999), Construct validity of the Nursing Care Dependency Scale. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 8: 380–388. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2702.1999.00245.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
- care dependency scale;
- long-term care;
• This paper describes the results of a study determining construct validity aspects of the Nursing Care Dependency (NCD) Scale.
• This 15-item instrument has been developed recently for the assessment of the care dependency of dementia or learning-disabled inpatients.
• Data was collected for 450 dementia and 203 learning-disabled patients using the NCD instrument.
• Factor analysis of the NCD instrument resulted in one Factor. With Mokken scale analysis an H-coefficient of 0.75 was found, which implied a strong hierarchical scale.
• Cronbach's α coefficients (0.97) were high enough to use the NCD instrument in clinical practice, at both group and individual levels.