The development of clinical competencies for use on a paediatric oncology nursing course using a nominal group technique
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 9, Issue 3, pages 459–469, May 2000
How to Cite
Gibson, F. and Soanes, L. (2000), The development of clinical competencies for use on a paediatric oncology nursing course using a nominal group technique. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 9: 459–469. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2702.2000.00404.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
- assessment of competence;
- children’s nursing;
- clinical practice;
- nominal group technique
• This paper outlines the development of a competency model to be used to assess clinical competence during a post-registration specialist course.
• A nominal group technique was used to gather data about the detailed practice of paediatric oncology nurses.
• The nominal group technique was chosen to achieve consultation and consensus with a professional group.
• The six steps from undertaking the nominal group technique to implementation are described in detail.
• Some reflections on the use of competency statements are offered.