• This paper outlines the development of a competency model to be used to assess clinical competence during a post-registration specialist course.
• A nominal group technique was used to gather data about the detailed practice of paediatric oncology nurses.
• The nominal group technique was chosen to achieve consultation and consensus with a professional group.
• The six steps from undertaking the nominal group technique to implementation are described in detail.
• Some reflections on the use of competency statements are offered.