• Family members do not give up their involvement in the life of their older relatives when they move to an institution.
• Relatives feel that it is they who take the initiative to establish a working relationship with the staff at the nursing home.
• Relatives want more spontaneous information from staff, particularly about residents’ daily lives, and there is a need for relatives to have opportunities to talk with staff under relaxed conditions.
• Staff behaviour and activities towards residents and relatives are a source of many feelings for relatives.
• Relatives’ understandings of the challenges faced by staff are not communicated to staff, nor are positive or negative experiences explicitly passed on to staff.