Competition between tree seedlings and herbaceous vegetation: support for a theory of resource supply and demand
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 652–661, August 1998
How to Cite
Davis, M. A., Wrage, K. J. and Reich, P. B. (1998), Competition between tree seedlings and herbaceous vegetation: support for a theory of resource supply and demand. Journal of Ecology, 86: 652–661. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00087.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1988 Autogenic succession in a subtropical savanna, conversion of grassland to thorn woodland. Ecological Monographs, 58, 111–127. , &
- 1990 Measurement of soil water content. Remote Sensing Reviews, 5, 263–279.
- 1994 Influences of trees on savanna productivity, tests of shade, nutrients, and tree-grass competition. Ecology, 75, 922–932.
- 1995 Competition vs. facilitation of tree seedling growth and survival in early successional communities. Ecology, 76, 1156–1168. , &
- 1997 Differential use of spatially heterogeneous soil moisture by two semiarid woody species: Pinus edulis and Juniperus monosperma. Journal of Ecology, 85, 289–299. , , , &
- 1991 Facilitation and interference of Quercus douglasii on understory productivity in central California. Ecology, 72, 1484–1499. , &
- 1992 An experimental test of plant strategy theory. Ecology, 73, 15–19. &
- 1994 Fire and recruitment of Quercus in a postagricultural field. American Midland Naturalist, 131, 84–97. , &
- 1995 An experimental study of the effects of shade, conspecific crowding, pocket gophers and surrounding vegetation on survivorship, growth and reproduction in Penstemon grandiflorus. American Midland Naturalist, 134, 237–243. , , &
- 1997 On the relative importance of competition in unproductive environments. Journal of Ecology, 85, 409–418. &
- 1989 Competition for soil water between annual plants and blue oak (Quercus douglasii) seedlings. Oecologia, 79, 533–541. , , &
- 1993 The effects of habitat productivity on competition intensity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 8, 229–230.
- 1995 On the measurement of plant competition intensity. Ecology, 76, 305–308.
- 1983 Adversity selection and the habitat template. American Naturalist, 122, 352–365.
- 1974 Soils of the Cedar Creek Natural History Area. Miscellaneous Report 123. University of Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station, St Paul, Minnesota. , , , &
- 1973 Competitive exclusion in herbaceous vegetation. Nature, 242, 344–347.
- 1979 Plant Strategies and Vegetation Processes. Wiley, New York.
- 1985 Towards a functional description of vegetation. The Population Structure of Vegetation (eds J.White), pp. 501–514. Junk, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- 1988 The C-S-R model of primary plant strategies – origins, implications and tests. Plant Evolutionary Biology (eds L. D.Gottlieb & S. K.Jain), pp. 371–393. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1987 Botanical contributions to contemporary ecological theory. New Phytologist, 106, 283–295. &
- 1985 Plant populations and vegetation in relation to habitat, disturbance and competition, problems of generalization. The Population Structure of Vegetation (eds J.White), pp. 595–620. Junk, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- 1986 Competition and the local distribution of the grass Stipa neomexicana. Ecology, 67, 46–57.
- 1991 Effects of soil moisture on shrub seedling survival in a semi-arid grassland. Ecology, 72, 1138–1149.
- 1997 The interplay of facilitation and competition in plant communities. Ecology, 78, 1966–75. , &
- 1994 Competition and coexistence: the effects of resource transport and supply rates. American Naturalist, 144, 954–977. &
- 1992 Shrubland expansion in the American southwest. Climate Change, 22, 85–86.
- 1994 Old field succession on a Minnesota sand plain, effects of deer and other factors on invasion by trees. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 121, 266–276. , &
- 1988 Soil water improvement by trees in the rangelands of southern Spain. Oecologia Plantarum, 9, 405–422. &
- 1993 Increasing CO2 and plant–plant interactions, effects on natural vegetation. Vegetatio, 104–105, 157–170. , &
- 1989 Competition. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1985 Interactions of woody and herbaceous vegetation in a southern African savanna. Journal of Ecology, 73, 235–253. &
- 1993 Oak tree effects on soil and herbaceous vegetation in savannas and pastures in Wisconsin. American Midland Naturalist, 130, 31–42. &
- 1967 The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. &
- 1996 Measuring plant neighbor effects. Functional Ecology, 10, 548–549. &
- 1989 Competitive ability and adaptation to fertile and infertile soils in two Eriophorum species. Ecology, 70, 736–749. &
- 1983 Serengeti grassland ecology, the role of composite environmental factors and contingency in community organization. Ecological Monographs, 53, 291–320.
- 1973 Competition and diversity in herbaceous vegetation. Nature, 244, 310.
- 1989 Variation in competition along an environmental gradient, Hieracium floribundum in an abandoned pasture. Journal of Ecology, 77, 673–684. &
- 1994 Intensity of plant competition in relation to neighbor biomass, an intercontinental study with Poa pratensis. Ecology, 75, 1753–1760. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1997 Tree–grass interactions in savannas. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 28, 517–544. &
- 1977 Habitat, the template for ecological strategies? Journal of Animal Ecology, 46, 337–365.
- 1990 On the relationship between r/K selection and environmental carrying capacity, a new habitat template for plant life history strategies. Oikos, 58, 239–250. , &
- 1988 Plant Strategies and the Dynamics and Structure of Plant Communities. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1989 Growth of old field herbs on a nitrogen gradient. Functional Ecology, 3, 425–438. &
- 1980 Electromagnetic determination of soil water content measurements in coaxial transmission lines. Water Resources Research, 16, 574–582. , &
- 1981 Stability of semi-arid savanna grazing systems. Journal of Ecology, 69, 473–498. , , &
- 1996 Are shade tolerance, survival, and growth linked? Low light and nitrogen effects on hardwood seedlings. Ecology, 77, 841–853. &
- 1982 Factors affecting the density response of Vulpia fasciculata Journal of Ecology, 70, 149–161.
- 1986 Measuring diffuse competition along an environmental gradient, results from a shoreline plant community. American Naturalist, 127, 862–869. &
- 1995 Minnesota St Croix River Valley and the Anoka Sandplain. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota. , &