Consequences of sexually dimorphic timing of emergence and flowering in Silene latifolia
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 397–404, June 1998
How to Cite
Purrington, C. B. and Schmitt, J. (1998), Consequences of sexually dimorphic timing of emergence and flowering in Silene latifolia. Journal of Ecology, 86: 397–404. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00262.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- Abacus Concepts 1991Superanova. Abacus Concepts Inc., Berkeley, CA.
- 1995 Spread of anther-smut disease (Ustilago violacea) and character correlations in a genetically variable experimental population of Silene alba. Journal of Ecology, 83, 783–794. &
- 1988 Relative reproductive effort in males and females of the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis. Oecologia, 76, 111–118. &
- 1984 On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: theory. Evolution, 38, 709–719. &
- 1973 Variation in wild populations of Papaver dubium. VII. germination time. Heredity, 30, 189–197. , &
- 1972 The influence of germination date on survival and seed production in a natural population of Leavenworthia stylosa. American Midland Naturalist, 88, 318–323. &
- 1991 Parental effects in Lychnis flos-cuculi. II. Selection on time of emergence and seedling performance in the field. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 3, 467–486.
- 1981 Differentiation between the sexes of Rumex hastatulus in net energy allocation, flowering and height. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 108, 446–455. &
- 1996 Measurements of natural selection on floral traits in wild radish (Raphanus raphanistrum). II. Selection through lifetime male and total fitness. Evolution, 50, 1137–1146. , , &
- 1980 Germination and size-dependent mortality in Viola blanda. Oecologia, 47, 115–117.
- 1927 Der Unterschied in der Keimungsgeschwindigkeit der Männchensamen und Weibschensamen bei Melandrium. Hereditas, 9, 33–44.
- 1993 Gender-specific physiology, carbon isotope discrimination, and habitat distribution in boxelder, Acer negundo. Ecology, 74, 798–815. &
- 1995 Sexual dimorphism masks life history trade-offs in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Ecology, 76, 775–785. &
- 1970 Sex characteristics and inheritance of sex in asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). Euphytica, 19, 277–287.
- 1995 Sex ratio and sexual dimorphism in the dioecious Borderea pyrenaica (Dioscoreaceae). Oecologia, 101, 59–67. &
- 1993 Temporal patterns in the development of sexual dimorphisms in Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 120, 405–416.
- 1994 Sexual differences in gas exchange and response to environmental stress in dioecious Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). American Journal of Botany, 81, 166–177. &
- 1924 Remarqeues sur le déterminisme du sexe chez Mercurialis annua L. Comptes Rendus Hébdomadaires Des Séances de l’Academie Des Sciences, 178, 1995–98.
- 1991 Seed mass and emergence time effects on performance of Panicum dichotomiflorum Michx. across environments. Oecologia, 87, 270–278. &
- 1981 Differences in biomass allocation to reproductive and vegetative structures of male and female plants of a dioecious, perennial herb, Silene alba (Miller) Krause. American Journal of Botany, 68, 801–807. &
- 1981 The effect of seed size and relative emergence time on fitness in a natural population of Impatiens capensis Meerb. (Balsaminaceae). American Midland Naturalist, 105, 312–320.
- 1986 Variable selection on the timing of germination in Collinsia verna (Scrophulariaceae). Evolution, 40, 479–491.
- 1991 Path analysis of selection. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 6, 276–280. &
- 1994 Shoot morphology and reproduction in jojoba: advantages of sexual dimorphism. Ecology, 75, 2384–2394.
- 1991 Sex ratio variation and spatial segregation of the sexes in populations of Rumox acetosa and R. acetosella (Polygonaceae). Plant Systematics and Evolution, 174, 183–195.
- 1983 The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution, 37, 1210–1226. &
- 1963 Genetics on wild populations of Melandrium. II. Flowering time and plant weight. Heredity, 18, 149–163.
- 1975Path Analysis: a Primer. Boxwood Press, Pacific Grove, CA.
- 1977 Secondary sex characteristics in plants. Botanical Review, 43, 177–216. &
- 1987 Effect of density on secondary sex characteristics and sex ratio in Silene alba (Caryophyllaceae). American Journal of Botany, 74, 40–46. , &
- 1981 Influence of germination date on survival and fecundity in wild lettuce Lactuca serriola. Oikos, 36, 326–330. &
- 1984 Sexual dimorphism and ecological differentiation of male and female plants. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, 71, 254–264.
- 1992 The quantitative genetics of sexual dimorphism in Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). I. Genetic variation. Evolution, 46, 445–457.
- 1987 Effects of emergence time on survival and growth in an early old-field community. Oecologia, 72, 272–278.
- 1991 FreeStat Users’ Manual. Technical Bulletin no. 101. University of Montana Herbarium. Missoula, MT.
- 1987 Regression analysis of natural selection: statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution, 41, 1149–1161. &
- 1993 Parental effects on progeny sex ratio, emergence, and flowering in Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). Journal of Ecology, 81, 807–811.
- 1995 Sexual dimorphism of dormancy and survivorship in buried seeds of Silene latifolia. Journal of Ecology, 83, 795–800. &
- 1986 Timing of seed production and dispersal in Geranium carolinianum: effects on fitness. Ecology, 67, 572–576.
- 1925 Secondary sex characters in Asparagus officinalis L. Hilgardia, 1, 183–202. &
- 1972 Occupation of biological space during seedling establishment. Journal of Ecology, 60, 77–88. &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1990 SAS User's Guide: Statistics, Version 6. Cary, NC.
- 1990 Enhancement of inbreeding depression by dominance and suppression in Impatiens capensis. Evolution, 44, 269–278. &
- 1985 Seed size and emergence time within a stand of wild radish (Raphanus raphanistrum L.): the establishment of a fitness hierarchy. Oecologia, 67, 524–531.
- 1983 Male competition, female choice, and sexual selection in plants. Pollination Biology (ed. L.Real), pp. 109–149. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1992 Life-cycle components of selection in Erigeron annuus. I. Phenotypic selection. Evolution, 46, 92–106.
- 1988 Establishment of Plantago lanceolata L. & Plantago major L. among grass. II. Shade tolerance of seedlings and selection on time of germination. Oecologia, 76, 341–347. &
- 1991 The additive partitioning of selection gradients. Evolution, 43, 1567–1569. &
- 1984 Sex ratio variation in populations of a dioecious desert perennial, Simmondsia chinensis. Oikos, 42, 343–348.
- 1976 Flowering periods in the gynodioecious species Gingidia decipiens (Umbellifererae). New Zealand Journal of Botany, 14, 207–210.
- 1995 Effect of density on magnitude of directional selection on seed mass and emergence time in Plantago wrightiana Dcne. (Plantaginaceae). Oecologia, 103, 365–370. &