Contrasting ecological breadth of co-occurring annual Polygonum species
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 363–383, June 1998
How to Cite
Sultan, S. E., Wilczek, A. M., Hann, S. D. and Brosi, B. J. (1998), Contrasting ecological breadth of co-occurring annual Polygonum species. Journal of Ecology, 86: 363–383. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00265.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1965 Characteristics and modes of origin of weeds. The Genetics of Colonizing Species (eds H. G.Baker & G. L.Stebbins), pp. 147–172. Academic Press, New York.
- 1974 The evolution of weeds. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 5, 1–24.
- 1994 Comparative ecophysiology of a rare and a widespread species of Echinacea (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany, 81, 958–964. &
- 1986 Life history of colonizing plants: some demographic, genetic and physiological features. Ecology of Biological Invasions of North America and Hawaii (eds H. A.Mooney & J. A.Drake), pp. 97–110. Ecological Studies 58. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1987 Experimental studies on the evolution of niche in successional plant populations. Colonization, Succession and Stability (eds A. J.Gray, M. J.Crawley & P. J.Edwards), pp. 245–271. Blackwell Scientific Publications, London.
- 1991 Habitat selection in plants. American Naturalist, 137, S116–S130.
- 1987 Ecological variation and the maintenance of plant diversity. Differentiation Patterns in Higher Plants (ed. K. M.Urbanska), pp. 69–93. Academic Press, London. &
- 1994 Competition and coexistence in plant communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 9, 246–250. , &
- 1994 Use and misuse of mixed model analysis of variance in ecological studies. Ecology, 75, 717–722. &
- 1995 Evolution of increased competitive ability in invasive nonindigenous plants: a hypothesis. Journal of Ecology, 83, 887–889. &
- 1989 Evolution and stress- genotypic and phenotypic components. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 37, 137–155. &
- 1984 On the relationship between abundance and the distribution of species. American Naturalist, 124, 255–279.
- 1981 Evolutionary changes accompanying colonization in plants. Evolution Today: Proceedings of the Second International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology (eds G. G. E.Scudder & J. L.Reveal), pp. 351–363, Hunt Institute, Pittsburgh. &
- 1993 Polygonum cespitosum var. longisetum (Polygonaceae) new to Texas. SIDA, 15, 656–657. &
- 1989 Short-term instabilities and long-term community dynamics. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 4, 293–298. &
- 1987Flora of the British Isles, 3rd edn. Cambridge University Press. , &
- 1971 On the measurement of niche breadth and overlap. Ecology, 52, 567–575. &
- 1987 Morphological plasticity and mineral nutrient capture in two herbaceous species of contrasted ecology. New Phytologist, 107, 403–414. &
- 1988 The evolution of ecological specialization. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 19, 207–233. &
- 1995 Competitive performance and species distribution in shoreline plant communities: a comparative approach. Ecology, 76, 280–291. &
- 1991 Manual of Vascular Plants of NE United States and Adjacent Canada. New York Botanical Gardens, New York. &
- 1992 Patterns and consequences of interspecific competition in natural communities: a review of field experiments with plants. American Naturalist, 139, 771–801. &
- 1977 The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biological Review, 52, 107–145.
- 1930Additions to the Flora of Connecticut. Bulletin no. 48. Connecticut Botanical Society, Connecticut.
- 1991The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press. &
- 1996 Agroecotypes or phenotypic plasticity? Comparison of agrestal and ruderal pupulations of the weed Solanum ptycanthum. Oecologia, 105, 271–280. &
- 1992 Occurrence and distribution of Polygonum species in Ohio. Ohio Journal of Science, 92, 88–97.
- 1979A Geographical Atlas of World Weeds. John Wiley and Sons, New York. , , &
- 1983New Jersey Wild Plants. Harmony Press, New Jersey.
- 1957 Fundamentals of biological control of weeds. Hilgardia, 27, 101–157.
- 1966Weeds of the World: Biology of Control. Plant Science Monographs. Leonard Hill, London.
- 1985 Biological aspects of endemism in higher plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 16, 447–479. &
- 1968Evolution in a Changing Environment. Princeton University Press, New Jersey.
- 1996 Insect herbivory as a major factor in the shade distribution of a native crucifer (Cardamine cordifolia A. Gray, bittercress). Journal of Ecology, 84, 229–237. &
- 1981Docks and Knotweeds of the British Isles. Handbook no. 3. Botanical Society of the British Isles, London. &
- 1956 Chromosomes and taxonomy of eastern North American Polygonum. Canadian Journal of Botany, 34, 501–521. &
- 1972 Geographical Ecology. Harper and Row, New York.
- 1988 Evolution of phenotypic plasticity in the Stellaria longipes complex: comparisons among cytotypes and habitats. Evolution, 42, 1036–1046. , &
- 1978 Polygonaceae of New York State. Contributions to a Flora of New York State I. Bulletin 431. University of the State of New York, New York State Museum, Albany. &
- 1955Weeds, 2nd edn. Macmillan Co, New York.
- 1970 Reproductive systems and colonization in Canadian weeds. Canadian Journal of Botany, 48, 859–860. &
- 1993 Phenotypic plasticity and contrasting habitat colonization in Festuca pallescens. Canadian Journal of Botany, 71, 970–977. , , &
- 1988Evolutionary Ecology, 4th edn. Harper and Row, New York.
- 1986 The habitat of Lythrum hyssopifolia L. in Cambridgeshire, its only surviving English locality. Biological Conservation, 35, 41–62. &
- 1983 Population variability in Danthonia caespitosa (Gramineae) in response to increasing density under three temperature regimes. American Journal of Botany, 70, 1425–1431. &
- 1981 Seven forms of rarity. Biological Aspects of Rare Plant Conservation (ed. H.Synge), pp. 205–217. Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 1991 Invasive vascular plants of California. Biogeography of Mediterranean Invasions (eds R. H.Groves & F.Di Castro), pp. 81–101. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 1985 Plant population genetics and evolution in disturbed environments. The Ecology of Natural Disturbance (eds S.T.A.Pickett & P.S.White), pp. 287–303. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1969 The Flora of New England. Charles E. Tuttle, Rutland,Vermont.
- 1984 Ecology, interspecific competition and the struggle for existence. More Than the Parts: Biology and Politics (eds L.Birke & J.Silvertown), pp. 177–203. Pluto Press, London.
- 1945a Polygonum persicaria L. Biological flora of the British Isles. Journal of Ecology, 33, 121–131.
- 1945b Polygonum lapathifolium L. Biological flora of the British Isles. Journal of Ecology, 33, 132–139.
- 1925 The inflorescence and flower-form in Polygonum, subgenus Persicaria. Rhodora, 27, 41–47.
- 1990 Annual Smartweeds in the prairie provinces. Canadian Field Naturalist, 104, 526–533. &
- 1979 Distribution and habitats of four annual Smartweeds in Ontario. Canadian Field Naturalist, 93, 378–385. &
- 1987 Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Evolutionary Biology, 21, 127–176.
- 1992 Phenotypic plasticity and the Neo-Darwinian legacy. Evolutionary Trends in Plants, 6, 61–71.
- 1995 Phenotypic plasticity and plant adaptation. Acta Botanica Neerlandica, 44, 363–383.
- 1993a Phenotypic plasticity in Polygonum persicaria. I. Diversity and uniformity in genotypic norms of reaction to light. Evolution, 47, 1009–1031. &
- 1993b Phenotypic plasticity in Polygonum persicaria. II. Norms of reaction to soil moisture, ecological breadth and the maintenance of genetic diversity. Evolution, 47, 1032–1049. &
- 1993c Phenotypic plasticity in Polygonum persicaria. III. The evolution of ecological breadth for nutrient environment. Evolution, 47, 1050–1071. &
- 1998 Physiological response to complex environments in annual Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Oecologia, in press. , , &
- 1965 A study of hybridization in Polygonum section Persicaria. Journal of the Linnaean Society, 59, 155–161.
- 1966 Polygonum hydropiper. Biological flora of the British Isles. Journal of Ecology, 54, 815–821.
- 1991 Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution, 45, 1317–1331.
- 1985 Genotype–environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution, 39, 505–522. &
- 1985Michigan Flora. Volume II. Cranbrook Institute of Science and University of Michigan Herbarium, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- 1990Farmland Weeds in China. Agricultural Publishing House, Beijing.
- 1996 Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Berkshire Museum.
- 1992Catalog of the Colorado Flora: a Biodiversity Baseline. University Press of Colorado. &
- 1975Soil Science Lab Manual. Department of Soil Science, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- 1995 Ecophysiology of introduced Pennisetum setaceum on Hawaii: the role of phenotypic plasticity. Ecology, 76, 1569–1580. , &
- 1985 Plant zonation on a shoreline gradient: physiological response curves of component species. Journal of Ecology, 73, 851–860. &
- 1971Statistical Principles in Experimental Design. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- 1992 Plant species coexistence – the role of historical, evolutionary and ecological factors. Oikos, 65, 314–320.