*Present address: Division of Botany, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia.
Sources and consequences of seed mass variation in Banksia marginata (Proteaceae)
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 563–573, August 1998
How to Cite
Vaughton, G. and Ramsey, M. (1998), Sources and consequences of seed mass variation in Banksia marginata (Proteaceae). Journal of Ecology, 86: 563–573. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00279.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1989 Seed size and number in Rubus chamaemorus: between-habitat variation, and effects of defoliation and supplemental pollination. Journal of Ecology, 77, 1080–1092.
- 1989 Reproductive traits and accumulation of nitrogen and phosphorus during the development of fruits of Protea compacta R. Br. (Calcifuge) and Protea obtusifolia Buek ex Meisn. (Calcicole). New Phytologist, 112, 109–115. , , &
- 1985 Seed Ecology. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1996 Reproductive ecology of non-sprouting and resprouting species of Hakea (Proteaceae) in southwestern Australia. Gondwanan Heritage: Past, Present and Future of the Western Australian Biota (eds S.D.Hopper, J.A.Chappill, M.S.Harvey & A.S.George), pp. 239–248. Surrey Beatty, Chipping Norton. &
- 1986 Distribution of biomass, nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrients in Banksia marginata and B. ornata shoots of different ages after fire. Australian Journal of Botany, 34, 709–725. , &
- 1988 Inclusive fitness, seed resources and maternal care. Plant Reproductive Ecology: Patterns and Strategies (eds J.Lovett Doust & L.Lovett Doust), pp. 60–79. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1991 Flora of New South Wales, Vol. 2. New South Wales University Press, Sydney.
- 1970 The shapes and sizes of seeds. Annual Reviews of Ecology and Systematics, 1, 327–356. , &
- 1982 Nutrient reserves in seeds of selected Proteaceous species from south-western Australia. Australian Journal of Botany, 30, 231–249. , &
- 1989 Resource limitation and offspring size and number trade-offs in Cirsium arvense (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany, 76, 1107–1113. &
- 1985 Reproductive biology of the Proteaceae in Australia and South Africa. Proceedings of the Ecological Society of Australia, 14, 213–224. , &
- 1994 Comparative size, fecundity and ecophysiology of roadside plants of Banksia hookeriana. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 137–144. , , &
- 1988 Seed production and mortality in a rare Banksia species. Journal of Applied Ecology, 25, 551–559. &
- 1987 Selection of offspring size at independence and other size-versus-number strategies. American Naturalist, 129, 800–817.
- 1991 The influence of mating system on seed size variation in Crinum erubescens (Amaryllidaceae). Evolution, 45, 883–890. &
- 1987 The quantitative genetics of life history and fitness components in Raphanus raphanistrum L. (Brassicaceae): ecological and evolutionary consequences of seed-weight variation. American Naturalist, 130, 891–914.
- 1987 Parental investment in offspring in variable environments: theoretical and empirical considerations. American Naturalist, 130, 370–398. , &
- 1993 Seed size and seed packaging variation in Baptisia lanceolata (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany, 80, 735–742.
- Minitab 1995 Release 10 Xtra. Minitab Inc., State College, PA.
- 1996 Sabal palmetto seed size: causes of variation, choices of predators, and consequences for seedlings. Oecologia, 106, 539–543.
- 1992 Seed size: phylogeny and adaptation in two closely related Proteaceae species-pairs. Oecologia, 91, 292–295. &
- 1993 Seed mass variation in the perennial herb Asphodelus albus: sources of variation and position effect. Oecologia, 93, 571–575.
- 1986 Seed nutrient reserves of Proteaceae with special reference to protein bodies and their inclusions. Annuals of Botany, 57, 747–770. , , &
- 1996 Inbreeding depression and pollinator availability in a partially self-fertile perennial herb Blandfordia grandiflora (Liliaceae). Oikos, 76, 465–474. &
- 1974 The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. American Naturalist, 108, 499–506. &
- 1984 Seed variation in wild radish: effect of seed size on components of seedling and adult fitness. Ecology, 65, 1105–1112.
- 1990 Influence of seed size and quality on seedling development under low nutrient conditions in five Australian and South African members of the Proteaceae. Journal of Ecology, 78, 1005–1020. , &
- 1989 Resource control of seed set in Banksia laricina C. Gardner (Proteaceae). Functional Ecology, 3, 453–460. , , &
- 1994 Effects of plant size and morphological constraints on variation in reproductive components in two related species of Epilobium. Journal of Ecology, 82, 735–746. &
- 1984 Variation among individual seed masses in Lomatium grayi (Umbelliferae) under controlled conditions: magnitude and partitioning of the variance. Ecology, 65, 626–631.
- 1990 Effects of seed weight and microsite characteristics on germination and seedling fitness in two species of Quercus in a subtropical wet hill forest. Oikos, 57, 289–296. &
- 1991 Variation between years in pollen and nutrient limitation of fruit set in Banksia spinulosa. Journal of Ecology, 79, 389–400.
- 1993 Nonrandom patterns of fruit set in Banksia spinulosa (Proteaceae): interovary competition within and among inflorescences. International Journal of Plant Sciences, 154, 306–313.
- 1997 Seed mass variation in the shrub Banksia spinulosa (Proteaceae): resource constraints and pollen source effects. International Journal of Plant Sciences, 158, 424–431. &
- 1992 Size-number trade-offs and the variation of seed size with plant resource status. American Naturalist, 140, 287–304.
- 1991 Statistical Principles in Experimental Design, 3rd edn . McGraw-Hill, New York. , &
- 1988 Ecological and evolutionary consequences of seed size in Prunella vulgaris. Ecology, 68, 1537–1544.
- 1991 Proximate and ultimate sources of within-individual variation in seed mass in Prunella vulgaris (Lamiaceae). American Journal of Botany, 78, 838–844.
- 1996a Disproportionate allocation of mineral nutrients and carbon between vegetative and reproductive structures in Banksia hookeriana. Oecologia, 105, 38–42. &
- 1996b Nutrient losses from commercial picking and cockatoo removal of Banksia hookeriana blooms at the organ, plant and site levels. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 131–140. &
- 1994 Commerical picking of Banksia hookeriana in the wild reduces subsequent shoot, flower and seed production. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 508–520. , &
- 1986 Seed size variation and pollinator uncertainty in Ipomopsis aggregata (Polemoniaceae). Journal of Ecology, 74, 361–371. , , &
- 1995 The genetics and ecology of seed size variation in a biennial plant, Hydrophyllum appendiculatum (Hydrophyllaceae). Oecologia, 101, 343–352.
- 1986a Seed size variation in Desmodium paniculatum. I. Factors affecting seed size. Journal of Ecology, 74, 87–97.
- 1986b Seed size variation in Desmodium paniculatum. II. Effects on seedling growth and physiological performance. Journal of Ecology, 74, 99–114.