* Present address and correspondence: Lab. Especializado de Ecología, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), México DF, 04510, México (fax 525 622 4828; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).
Variation in the demography of a woodland understorey herb (Primula vulgaris) along the forest regeneration cycle: projection matrix analysis
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 545–562, August 1998
How to Cite
Valverde, T. and Silvertown, J. (1998), Variation in the demography of a woodland understorey herb (Primula vulgaris) along the forest regeneration cycle: projection matrix analysis. Journal of Ecology, 86: 545–562. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00280.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1994 Density dependence and patch dynamics in tropical rain forest: matrix models and applications to a tree species. American Naturalist, 143, 155–191.
- 1991 Seed and forest dynamics: a theoretical framework and an example from the neotropics. American Naturalist, 137, 133–154. &
- 1991 Finding confidence limits on population growth rates. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 6, 221–224. &
- 1993 Finding confidence limits on population growth rates: Monte Carlo test of a simple analytical method. Oikos, 68, 273–282. &
- 1994 Finding confidence limits on population growth rates: three real examples revisited. Ecology, 75, 255–260. &
- 1964 The photographic computation of light conditions. Journal of Ecology, 52, 27–41.
- 1980 Population dynamics of the wild daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus). I. Clonal growth, seed production, mortality, and the effects of density. Journal of Ecology, 68, 607–633.
- 1992a The effect of coppicing and neglect on the performance of the perennial ground flora. Ecology and Management of Coppice Woodlands (eds G.P.Buckley), pp. 115–146. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1992b Population dynamics of the wild daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus). IV. Clumps and gaps. Journal of Ecology, 80, 797–808.
- 1982a The demography of Jack-in-the pulpit, a forest perennial that changes sex. Ecological Monographs, 52, 335–351.
- 1982b Life histories and demography of shade-tolerant temperate forest herbs: a review. New Phytologist, 90, 757–776.
- 1986 The ecology of homostyle and heterostyle primroses (Primula vulgaris Huds.). PhD Thesis.The Open University.
- 1990 Population ecology of heterostyle and homostyle Primula vulgaris: growth, survival and reproduction in field populations. Journal of Ecology, 78, 799–813. , &
- 1985 Treefalls, regrowth and community structure in tropical forests. The Ecology of Natural Disturbances and Patch Dynamics (eds S.T.A.Pickett & P. S.White), pp. 53–69. Academic Press, NY.
- 1978 A general formula for the sensitivity of population growth rate to changes in the life history parameters. Theoretical Population Biology, 14, 215–230.
- 1989 Matrix Population Models. Sinauer Associates Inc, Publishers, Sunderland, MA.
- 1987 Photographic estimation of photosynthetically active radiation: evaluation of a computarized technique. Oecologia, 73, 525–532. &
- 1994 A model of patch dynamics, seed dispersal, and sex ratio in the dioecious shrub Lindera benzoin (Lauraceae). Journal of Ecology, 82, 621–633. , &
- 1993 Population growth, structure, and seed dispersal in the understorey herb Cynoglossum virginianum: a population and patch dynamics model. Plant Species Biology, 8, 117–129. , &
- 1985 Response of forest herbs to canopy gaps. The Ecology of Natural Disturbances and Patch Dynamics (eds S.T.A.Pickett & P. S.White), pp. 217–234. Academic Press, NY. , &
- 1998 Population growth and viability analyses of the clonal woodland herb, Asarum canadense. Journal of Ecology, 86, 13–26. &
- 1995 Demography of the perennial herb Lathyrus vernus. II. Herbivory and population dynamics. Journal of Ecology, 83, 297–308.
- 1995 Comparing plant life histories using elasticity analysis: the importance of the life span and the number of life-cycle stages. Oecologia, 104, 79–84. , &
- 1988 Projection matrices in population biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 3, 264–269. , &
- 1988 The contrasting dynamics of two populations of Plantago lanceolata classified by age and size. Journal of Ecology, 76, 585–599. &
- 1994 Variation in individual growth and the population structure of a woodland perennial herb, Paris tetraphylla. Journal of Ecology, 82, 3–12. &
- 1991 Local extinctions in a metapopulation context: an empirical evaluation. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 42, 73–88.
- 1986 Seed dispersal and environmental heterogeneity in a neotropical herb: a model of population and patch dynamics. Frugivores and Seed Dispersal (eds A.Estrada & T.Fleming), pp. 169–186. Junk Publishers, The Hague. &
- 1994 Effect of dispersers, gaps, and predators on dormancy and seedling emergence in a tropical herb. Ecology, 75, 1949–58. &
- 1995 Spatiotemporal variation in demographic transitions of a tropical understorey herb: projection matrix analysis. Ecological Monographs, 65, 155–192. &
- 1987 Demographic differentiation and life history evolution in temperate woodland plants. Differentiation in Higher Plants (eds K.M.Urbanska), pp. 153–181. Academic Press, London. , , &
- 1992 Germination and growth of colonizing species in artificial gaps of different species in dipterocarp rain forest. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 335, 357–366. &
- 1986 Elasticity: the relative contribution of demographic parameters to population growth rate. Ecology, 67, 1427–1431. , , &
- 1988 Demographic models of the northern spotted owl (Strix occidentalis caurina). Oecologia, 75, 601–607.
- 1985 The demography of tropical trees in the context of forest gap dynamics. Plant Population Ecology (eds A.J.Davy, M.J.Hutchings & A.R.Watkinson), pp. 293–313. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. , &
- 1998 Demographic viability of populations of Sinene regia in midwestern prairies: relationships with fire management, genetic variation, geographic location, population size and isolation. Journal of Ecology, 86, 63–78. &
- 1993 Use of Hemispherical Photographs in Forest Ecology: Calculation of Absolute Amount of Radiation Beneath the Forest Canopy. Oxford Forestry Institute, Occasional Paper no. 44.University of Oxford.Oxford. &
- 1986 A generalized algorithm for determining category size. Oecologia, 69, 176–180.
- 1985 The Ecology of Natural Disturbance and Patch Dynamics. Academic Press Inc, Orlando. &
- 1984 A high rate of self-fertilization and increased seed fertility of homostyle primroses. Nature, 310, 50–51. , &
- 1985 Population biology of Clintonia borealis. I. Ramet and patch dynamics. Journal of Ecology, 73, 169–183. , &
- 1989 Primulas of the British Isles. Shire Natural History Series. C.I. Thomas and Sons Ltd, Aylesbury.
- 1993 Primula. B.T. Batsford Ltd, London.
- 1991 British Plant Communities. Woodlands and Scrub. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1987 Treefalls revisted: gap dynamics in the southern appalachians. Ecology, 68, 417–424. &
- 1990 Fire and fire exclusion effects on the growth and survival of two savanna grasses. Acta Oecologica, 11, 783–800. , &
- 1993 Plant demography and habitat: a comparative approach. Plant Species Biology, 8, 67–73. &
- 1996 Interpretation of elasticity matrices as an aid to the management of plant populations for conservation. Conservation Biology, 10, 591–597. , &
- 1993 Comparative plant demography: relative importance of life cycle components to the finite rate of increase in woody and herbaceous perennials. Journal of Ecology, 81, 465–476. , , &
- 1981 Biometry, 2nd edn. W.H. Freeman and Co., NY. &
- 1995 Spatial variation in the seed ecology of a woodland herb (Primula vulgaris) in relation to light environment. Functional Ecology, 9, 942–950. &
- 1997a Canopy closure rate and forest structure. Ecology, 78, 1555–1562. &
- 1997b A metapopulation model for Primula vulgaris, a temperate forest understorey herb. Journal of Ecology, 85, 197–210. &
- 1997c An integrated model of demography, patch dynamics and seed dispersal in a woodland herb, Primula vulgaris. Oikos, 80, 67–77. &
- 1977 Population growth rates and age- vs. stage- distribution models for teasel. Ecology, 58, 1103–1111. &
- 1984 Biostatistical Analysis, 2nd edn . Prentice Hall, NJ.