A comparative study of the seedbanks of heathland and successional habitats in Dorset, Southern England
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 588–596, August 1998
How to Cite
Mitchell, R. J., Marrs, R. H. and Auld, M. H. D. (1998), A comparative study of the seedbanks of heathland and successional habitats in Dorset, Southern England. Journal of Ecology, 86: 588–596. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00281.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1992 Innovative approaches to seedbank studies. Weed Science, 40, 660–669. , &
- 1989 Factors influencing the precision of soil seedbank estimates. Canadian Journal of Botany, 67, 2833–2840. , &
- 1934 On the viable seeds present in the soil beneath pastures. Journal of Ecology, 22, 508–531. &
- 1975Biological flora of the British Isles Rhododendron ponticumL. Journal of Ecology, 63, 345–364.
- Department of Environment 1995a Biodiversity: UK Steering Group Report, Vol. 1: Meeting the Rio Challenge. HMSO London.
- Department of Environment 1995b Biodiversity: UK Steering Group Report, Vol. 2: Action Plans. HMSO London.
- 1990 Does bracken spread by spores? Bracken Biology and Management. (eds J.A.Thompson & R.J.Smith), pp. 35–42. Australian Institute of Agricultural Science, occasional publication no 40. .
- 1954 Vegetation science concepts I. Initial floristic composition—a factor in old-field vegetation development. Vegetatio, 4, 412–417.
- 1992 The lowland heathland managment book. English Nature Science, Peterborough.
- 1987 Seed viability of fourteen species during five years of storage in a forest soil. Journal of Ecology, 75, 321–331.
- 1988 Comparative Plant Ecology. A functional approach to common British species. Unwin Hyman Ltd, London. , &
- 1981 The density of viable seed in soils of forest plantations in upland Britain. Journal of Ecology, 69, 693–709. &
- 1984 Studies of fire in Scottish heathland communities II Post-fire vegetation development. Journal of Ecology, 72, 585–610. &
- 1992 The role of dispersal mechanism, regenerative strategies and seedbanks in the vegetation dynamics of the British landscape. Seeds, the Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities (eds M.Fenner), pp. 65–81. CAB International, Wallingford. &
- 1995 Data Analysis in Community and Landscape Ecology, 2nd edn . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 1980 Discriminant Analysis. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills and London.
- 1984 Birch control on lowland heaths: mechanical control and the application of selective herbicides by foliar spray. Journal of Applied Ecology, 21, 703–716.
- 1989 Soil fertility—a potential problem for habitat restoration. Biological Habitat Reconstruction (eds G.P.Buckley), pp. 29–44, Belhaven Press, London. &
- 1986 Losses of lowland heath through succession at four sites in Breckland East Anglia UK. Biological Conservation, 35, 19–38. , &
- 1992 Control of bracken and the restoration of heathland II Regeneration of heathland community. Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, 204–211. &
- 1993 Control of bracken and the restoration of heathland. V Effects of bracken control treatments on the rhizome and its relationship with frond performance. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 107–118. , &
- 1981 Effects of Birch on Moorlands. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Cambridge.
- 1980 The effects on heathland and moorland soils in Scotland and Northern England following colonisation by Birch (Betula spp.). Bulletin Societé D’Écologie, France, 11, 233–242. &
- 1997 A study of succession on lowland heaths in Dorset, Southern England: Changes in vegetation and soil chemical properties. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1426–1444. , , &
- 1978 Seedlings of the North-Western European Lowland. A Flora of Seedlings. Dr W. Junk, B.V. publishers, The Hague, Boston.
- 1996 Heathland seedbanks under Bracken Pteridium aquilinum (L) Kuhn and their importance for re-vegetation after Bracken control. Journal of Environmental Management, 47, 329–339. &
- 1990 The significance of the dormant viable seedbank in the restoration of heathlands. Biological Conservation, 52, 1–16. &
- 1997 The decline of heathland seed populations following the conversion to agriculture. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 949–960. , &
- 1995 A comparison of techniques for restoring heathland on abandoned farmland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 400–411. , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1988 SAS/STAT User's Guide, Release 6.03 edn. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC.
- 1991 Control of Rhododendron ponticum at Ynys-hir RSPB reserve Wales. Proceedings of Heathland Conference II. History and Management of Southern Lowland Heaths. (eds M.H.D.Auld, B.P.Pickess & N.D.Burgess) RSPB Southern Heathland Project, pp. 69–72.
- 1991 New Flora of the British Isles. St Edmundsbury Press Ltd, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
- 1979 Seasonal variation in the seedbanks of herbaceous species in ten contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology, 67, 893–921. &
- 1990 Changes on the heathlands of Dorset, England, between 1978 and 1987. Biological Conservation, 51, 273–286.
- 1996 RSPB Dorset Heathland Project 1989–95. A management case study. RSPB, Sandy. , &