Survival and growth of woody plant seedlings in the understorey of floodplain forests in South Carolina
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 574–587, August 1998
How to Cite
Jones, R. H. and Sharitz, R. R. (1998), Survival and growth of woody plant seedlings in the understorey of floodplain forests in South Carolina. Journal of Ecology, 86: 574–587. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00287.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1995 Seedling growth of co-occurring Shorea species in the simulated light environments of a rain forest. Forest Ecology and Management, 72, 1–12.
- 1995 Seedling survival and growth of four Shorea species in a Sri Lankan rainforest. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 11, 263–279. , &
- 1984 Seedling survival of tropical tree species: interactions of dispersal distance, light-gaps, and pathogens. Ecology, 65, 1705–1712.
- 1984 Influence of microtopography and canopy species on spatial patterns of forest understorey plants. Ecology, 65, 1406–1419.
- 1994 Seeds: Physiology of Development and Germination. Plenum Press, New York. &
- 1996 Ten years of tree seedling establishment and mortality in an Ohio deciduous forest complex. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 123, 309–317. &
- 1993 Forest Dynamics: an Ecological Model. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1990a Silvics of North America, Vol. 1. Conifers. USDA Agricultural Handbook 654, USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC. &
- 1990b Silvics of North America, Vol. 2. Hardwoods. USDA Agricultural Handbook 654, USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC. &
- 1994 Canopy cover and tree regeneration in old-growth cove forests of the Appalachian Mountains. Vegetatio, 115, 19–27.
- 1988 Growth and canopy architecture of shade-tolerant trees: response to canopy gaps. Ecology, 69, 786–795.
- 1989 Different responses to gaps among shade-tolerant tree species. Ecology, 70, 548–550.
- 1989 Secondary succession, gap dynamics, and community structure in a Southern Appalachian cove forest. Ecology, 70, 728–735. &
- 1989 Some processes affecting the species composition in forest gaps. Ecology, 70, 560–562.
- 1994 Tropical tree seedling dynamics: recruitment patterns and their population consequences for three canopy species in Panama. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 10, 369–383.
- 1980 Gap partitioning among tropical rainforest trees. Biotropica, 12 (Suppl.), 47–55.
- 1990 Growth response of tropical shrubs to treefall gap environments. Ecology, 71, 165–179. , , &
- 1993 Failure-time analysis: emergence, flowering, survivorship, and other waiting times. Design and Analysis of Ecological Experiments (eds S. M.Scheiner & J.Gurevitch), pp. 253–289. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1994 Analysis and modelling of cohort life tables of jack pine seed cones. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 24, 1579–1592. &
- 1993 Sapling growth and recruitment as affected by flooding and canopy gap formation in a river floodplain forest in southeast Texas. PhD Dissertation, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- 1982 Factors influencing distribution and first-year survivorship of a cohort of beech (Fagus grandifolia Ehrh). Castanea, 47, 148–157. , &
- 1995 Seed, seedling and sub-canopy survival in monodominant and mixed forests of the Ituri Forest, Africa. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 11, 443–459.
- 1968 Application of life-table analysis to tree seedlings in Quetico Provincial Park, Ontario. Forestry Chronicle, 44, 29–32. &
- 1971 Sugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh.) seedling mortality. Journal of Ecology, 59, 507–520. &
- 1976 Age structure models of balsam fir and eastern hemlock. Journal of Ecology, 64, 1029–1044. &
- 1984 Waterlogging tolerance of lowland tree species of the South. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, 8, 136–149.
- 1958 The effects of complete inundation upon seedlings of six bottomland tree species. Ecology, 39, 371–373.
- 1992 The reproductive ecology of Abies balsamea, Acer saccharum and Betula allegheniensis in the Tantare Ecological Reserve. Journal of Ecology, 80, 611–623.
- 1980 Seed predation and the coexistence of tree species in tropical forests. Oikos, 35, 214–229.
- 1986 Microsite abundance and distribution of woody seedlings in a South Carolina cypress-tupelo swamp. American Midland Naturalist, 115, 328–335. &
- 1987 Plant succession: life history and competition. American Naturalist, 130, 168–198. &
- 1970 Herbivores and the number of tree species in tropical forests. American Naturalist, 104, 501–528.
- 1987 Development of advanced oak regeneration as influenced by removal of midstory and understory vegetation. Proceedings of the Fourth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, November 4–6, 1986, Atlanta, GA, pp. 455–461. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report SE–42. &
- 1977 Predicting oak stump sprouting and sprout development in the Missouri Ozarks. USDA Forest Service Research Paper NC-149.
- 1987 Root sprouting in American beech: production, survival, and the effect of parent tree vigor. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 17, 539–544. &
- 1994 Woody plant regeneration in four floodplain forests. Ecological Monographs, 64, 345–367. , , , &
- 1989 Effects of flooding and root competition on growth of shaded bottomland hardwood seedlings. American Midland Naturalist, 121, 165–175. , &
- 1995 Juvenile tree survivorship as a component of shade tolerance. Ecological Applications, 5, 517–532. , , &
- 1980 Statistical Methods for Survival Data Analysis. Wadsworth, Belmont, CA.
- 1989 Forests are not just swiss cheese: canopy stereogeometry of non-gaps in tropical forests. Ecology, 70, 550–552. , &
- 1990 Predicting post-harvest performance of advance red oak reproduction in the Southern Appalachians. Forest Science, 36, 908–916.
- 1987 Predicting growth and ‘success’ of coppice-regenerated oak stems. Forest Science, 33, 740–749. , , , &
- 1983 Herb cover effects on tree seedling patterns in a mature hemlock-hardwood forest. Ecology, 64, 1367–1380. &
- 1981 Tree Disease Concepts. Prentice Hall, New York.
- 1982 Effect of advance seedling size and vigor on survival after clearcutting. USDA Forest Service Research Paper NE-498.
- 1995 Seedling recruitment patterns in a Belizean mangrove forest: effects of establishment ability and physico-chemical factors. Oecologia, 101, 448–460.
- 1993 Ecological field theory model – a mechanistic approach to simulate plant–plant interactions in southeastern forest ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 23, 2180–2193. , &
- 1995 Age-specific life table modeling of the Russian wheat aphid (Homoptera: aphididae) on barley grown in benzimidazole agar. Environmental Entomology, 24, 1284–1290. , &
- 1996 Forest models defined by field measurements: estimation, error analysis and dynamics. Ecological Monographs, 66, 1–43. , , , , &
- 1968 Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC. , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1988 SAS/STAT User's Guide, Release 6.03 edn. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC.
- 1989 Arrival and survival in tropical treefall gaps. Ecology, 70, 562–564. , , &
- 1984 A Theory of Forest Dynamics. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1993 Introduction to Plant Population Biology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. &
- 1962 The Practice of Silviculture, 7th edn . John Wiley, New York.
- 1989 Woody seedling dynamics in an East Texas floodplain forest. Ecological Monographs, 59, 177–204. , &
- 1993 Establishment of salmonberry, salal, vine maple, and bigleaf maple seedlings in the coastal forests of Oregon. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 23, 1775–1780. &
- 1993 Nontraditional regression analysis. Ecology, 74, 1629–1637. &
- 1990a The seedling survivorship of three Shorea species in a Malaysian tropical rain forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 6, 469–478.
- 1990b Tree seedling growth and survival in a Malaysian rain forest. Biotropica, 22, 146–154.
- 1986 The role of life history processes in primary succession on an Alaskan floodplain. Ecology, 67, 1243–1253. , &
- 1993 Relative growth rate in relation to physiological and morphological traits for northern hardwood tree seedlings: species, light environment and ontogenetic considerations. Oecologia, 96, 219–231. , &
- 1996 Are shade tolerance, survival, and growth linked? Low light and nitrogen effects on hardwood seedlings. Ecology, 77, 841–853. &
- 1992 Comparative evolutionary ecology of seed size. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 7, 368–372. , &
- 1979 Reciprocal replacement and the maintenance of codominance in a beech maple forest. Oikos, 33, 31–39.
- 1984 Patterns of tree replacement: canopy effects on understory pattern in hemlock-northern hardwood forests. Vegetatio, 56, 87–107.