Treefall gap size effects on above- and below-ground processes in a tropical wet forest
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 597–609, August 1998
How to Cite
Denslow, J. S., Ellison, A. M. and Sanford, R. E. (1998), Treefall gap size effects on above- and below-ground processes in a tropical wet forest. Journal of Ecology, 86: 597–609. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00295.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1991 Seed and forest dynamics: a theoretical framework and an example from the neotropics. American Naturalist, 137, 133–154. &
- 1989 The relationship between treefall gap size and light flux in a Neotropical rain forest in Costa Rica. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 5, 437–439. , &
- 1988 Water potential gradients for gaps and slopes in a Panamanian tropical moist forest's dry season. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 4, 173–184. , , &
- 1996 Changes in light below the canopy of a Jamaican montane rainforest after a hurricane. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 12, 699–722. , , &
- 1985 Resource limitation in plants – An economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 16, 363–392. , &
- 1982 The definition of treefall gap and its effect on measures of forest dynamics. Biotropica, 14, 158–160.
- 1985 Gap-phase regeneration in a tropical forest. Ecology, 66, 682–687.
- 1987 Gap-phase regeneration of three pioneer tree species in a tropical forest. Journal of Ecology, 75, 9–20.
- 1993 The implications of climate and gap microclimate for seedling growth in a Bornean lowland rain forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 9, 153–168.
- 1995 Responses to nutrient addition among shade-tolerant tree seedlings of lowland tropical rain forest in Singapore. Journal of Ecology, 83, 113–122. , &
- 1994 Mineral nutrient status of coastal hill dipterocarp forest and adinandra belukar in Singapore: bioassays of nutrient limitation. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 10, 579–599. , &
- 1989 A comparative study of plant responsiveness to the duration of episodes of mineral enrichment. New Phytologist, 112, 261–267. &
- 1980 The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 11, 233–260.
- 1984 Photosynthetic light environments in a lowland tropical rain forest in Costa Rica. Journal of Ecology, 72, 553–564. &
- 1987 Morphological plasticity and mineral nutrient capture in two herbaceous species of contrasted ecology. New Phytologist, 107, 403–414. &
- 1988 Nutrient dynamics within Amazonian forests. II. Fine root growth, nutrient availability and leaf litter decomposition. Oecologia, 76, 222–235. &
- 1997 Soil seed bank community dynamics in seasonally moist lowland tropical forest, Panama. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 13, 659–680. , &
- 1980 Gap partitioning among tropical rainforest trees. Biotropica, 12, 47–55.
- 1987 Tropical rainforest gaps and tree species diversity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 18, 431–451.
- 1994 Treefall gap environments and forest dynamic processes. La Selva: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Rain Forest (eds L.A.McDade, K.Bawa, H.Hespenheide & G.S.Hartshorn), pp. 120–127. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. &
- 1991 The effect of palms on growth and survival of tree seedlings in a rain forest understory. Biotropica, 23, 225–234. , &
- 1990 Growth response of tropical shrubs to treefall gap environments. Ecology, 71, 165–179. , , &
- 1987 Bioassays of nutrient limitation in a tropical rain forest soil. Oecologia, 74, 370–376. , &
- 1985 Vegetation effects on microclimate in lowland tropical forest in Costa Rica. International Journal of Biometeorology, 29, 145–155. , &
- 1997 Responses to nutrient addition among seedlings of eight closely related species of Shorea in Sri Lanka. Journal of Ecology, 85, 301–311. , , , , &
- 1977 The influence of fertilization on some aspects of succession in a humid tropical forest. Ecology, 58, 1375–1383.
- 1978 Tree falls and tropical forest dynamics. Tropical Trees as Living Systems (eds P.B.Tomlinson & M.H.Zimmerman), pp. 617–638. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1994 Vegetation types and floristic patterns. La Selva: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Rain Forest (eds L.A.McDade, K.S.Bawa, H.A.Hespenheide & G.S.Hartshorn), pp. 73–89. University of Chicago, Chicago. &
- 1978 Plant Growth Analysis. Arnold, London.
- 1989 The timing and degree of root proliferation in fertile-soil microsites for three cold-desert perennials. Oecologia, 81, 149–153. &
- 1982 Nitrogen – inorganic forms. Methods of Soil Analysis Part 2. Chemical and Microbiological Properties (eds A.L.Page, R.H.Miller & D.R.Keeney), pp. 643–698. American Society of Agronomy Inc., Madison. &
- 1996 Cotyledon functional morphology, patterns of seed reserve utilization and regeneration niches of tropical tree seedlings. Ecology of Tropical Forest Tree Seedlings (eds M.D.Swaine), pp. 245–266. Parthenon, Paris.
- 1994 The importance of nutrient pulses in tropical forests. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 9, 384–387. , &
- 1991 Nitrogen mineralization and nitrification in terra firme forest and savanna soils on Ilha de Maraca, Roraima, Brazil. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 7, 123–137. , , &
- 1987 Nitrogen transformations following tropical forest felling and burning on a volcanic soil. Ecology, 68, 491–502. , , , &
- 1993 Photosynthetic responses of Miconia species to canopy openings in a lowland tropical rainforest. Oecologia, 94, 49–56. , , &
- 1982 Phosphorus. Methods of Soil Analysis Part 2. Chemical and Microbiological Properties (eds A.L.Page, R.H.Miller & D.R.Keeney), pp. 403–430. American Society of Agronomy Inc., Madison. &
- 1998 Belowground effects of canopy gaps in a tropical wet forest. Ecology, 79, 1294–1304.
- 1985 The effect of disturbance on water and solute budgets of hillslope tropical rainforest in northeastern Costa Rica. PhD Thesis, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.
- 1994 Root gap dynamics in lodgepole pine forest: nitrogen tranformations in gaps of different size. Ecological Applications, 4, 354–362. , &
- 1993 The demography of fine roots in response to patches of water and nitrogen. New Phytologist, 125, 575–580. , &
- 1990 Characterizing plant canopies with hemispherical photographs. Remote Sensing Reviews, 5, 13–29.
- 1993 Long-term study of solar radiation regimes in a tropical wet forest using quantum sensors and hemispherical photography. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 65, 107–127. , , &
- 1977 Environmental heterogeneity and plant species diversity: a hypothesis. American Naturalist, 111, 376–381.
- 1985 Disturbance regimes in temperate forests. The Ecology of Natural Disturbance and Patch Dynamics (eds S.T.A.Pickett & P.S.White), pp. 17–34. Academic Press, Orlando.
- 1987 Estudio detallado de suelos. Estacion Biologica ‘La Selva’. Organization for Tropical Studies, San Jose, Costa Rica. &
- 1989 Fine root biomass under a tropical forest light gap opening in Costa Rica. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 5, 251–256.
- 1990 Fine root biomass under light gap openings in an Amazon rain forest. Oecologia, 83, 541–545.
- 1986 Canopy openings in a primary neotropical lowland forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 2, 277–282. , &
- 1994 Climate, geomorphology, and aquatic systems. La Selva: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Rain Forest (eds L.A.McDade, K.S.Bawa, H.A.Hespenheide & G.S.Hartshorn), pp. 19–33. Univeristy of Chicago, Chicago. , , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1996 The SAS System for Windows, Version 6.11. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC.
- 1993 Biomass and nutrient content of the Bisley experimental watersheds, Luquillo Experimental Forest, Puerto Rico, before and after Hurricane Hugo, 1989. Biotropica, 25, 15–27. , , , &
- 1996 Regeneration from seed in a neotropical rain forest. PhD Thesis, Duke University, Durham, NC.
- 1994 Is nutrient availability related to plant nutrient use in humid tropical forests? Oecologia, 98, 336–343.
- 1996 At what temporal scales does disturbance affect belowground nutrient pools? Biotropica, 28, 441–457. , , , &
- 1993 Fine root dynamics following single and multiple disturbances in a subtropical wet forest ecosystem. Journal of Ecology, 81, 729–738. &
- 1994 Soils and soil process research. La Selva: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Rain Forest (eds L.A.McDade, K.S.Bawa, H.A.Hespenheide & G.S.Hartshorn), pp. 34–53. University of Chicago, Chicago. , , &
- 1983 Response of tree roots to decomposing organic matter in two lowland Amazonian rain forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 13, 346–349.
- 1988 On the definition of ecological species groups in tropical rain forests. Vegetatio, 75, 81–86. &
- 1992 Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization effects on Venezuelan montane forest trunk growth and litterfall. Ecology, 73, 78–86. , &
- 1990 Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization of Jamaican montane forest trees. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 6, 213–238. , , , &
- 1991 Effects of shade and fertilizer addition on the seedlings of two tropical woody pioneer species. Tropical Ecology, 32, 24–29.
- 1993 The effect of fertilizer application on dipterocarp seedling growth and mycorrhizal infection. Forest Ecology and Management, 57, 329–337. , &
- 1988 Vegetation dynamics in Amazonian treefall gaps. Ecology, 69, 751–763. , , &
- 1992 Regeneration dynamics. Plant Succession: Theory and Prediction (eds D.C.Glenn-Lewin, R.K.Peet & T.T.Veblen), pp. 152–187. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1984 Litterfall, nutrient cycling, and nutrient limitation in tropical forests. Ecology, 65, 285–298.
- 1986 Nitrogen and phosphorus availability in treefall gaps of a lowland tropical rainforest. Journal of Ecology, 74, 1167–1178. &
- 1986 Nutrient cycling in moist tropical forest. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 17, 137–167. &
- 1996 A review of some aspects of tropical rain forest seedling ecology with suggestions for further enquiry. The Ecology of Tropical Forest Tree Seedlings (eds M.D.Swaine), pp. 3–39. UNESCO and Parthenon Publishing, New York.
- 1991 Crown asymmetry, treefalls, and repeat disturbance of broad-leaved forest gaps. Ecology, 72, 1464–1471. &