A 38-year study of relations between weather and vegetation dynamics in road verges near Bibury, Gloucestershire
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 610–623, August 1998
How to Cite
Dunnett, N. P., Willis, A. J., Hunt, R. and Grime, J. P. (1998), A 38-year study of relations between weather and vegetation dynamics in road verges near Bibury, Gloucestershire. Journal of Ecology, 86: 610–623. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00297.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1988 Parallel long-term trends across four marine trophic levels and weather. Nature, 347, 753–755. , &
- 1997 Aspects of the ecology and conservation value of roadside vegetation. PhD Thesis, University of Bradford.
- 1961 Zur Konkurrenzkraft von Bromus erectus. En sechsjahriger Danerversuch. Botanische Jahrbhcher Fhr Systematik, Pflanzengeschichte und Pflanzengeographie, 80, 466–479.
- CCIRG 1991 The Potential Effects of Climate Change in the United Kingdom. First Report of the UK Climate Change Impacts Review Group. HMSO, London.
- 1995 Community stability: a 60-year record of trends and outbreaks in the occurrence of species in the Park Grass Experiment. Journal of Ecology, 83, 277–285. , , , &
- 1996 Vegetation and climate: a thirty-six year study in road verges at Bibury, Gloucestershire. PhD Thesis, University of Sheffield.
- 1995 Relationships between first flowering date and temperature in the flora of a locality in Central England. Functional Ecology, 9, 55–60. , , &
- 1988 Modern Elementary Statistics. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- 1979 Plant Strategies and Vegetation Processes. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- 1988 Comparative Plant Ecology: a Functional Approach to Common British Species. Unwin Hyman, London. , &
- 1994 Climate-vegetation relationships in the Bibury road verge experiments. Long Term Experiments in Agricultural and Ecological Sciences (eds R.A.Leigh & A.E.Johnston), pp. 271–285. CAB International, Wallingford. , , &
- 1993 The relationship between Gulf Stream position and Copepod abundance derived from the Continuous Plankton Recorder Survey: separating biological signal from sampling noise. Journal of Plankton Research, 15, 1359–1373. , &
- 1995 Climatic variability and grassland community composition over 10 years: separating effects on module biomass and number of modules. Functional Ecology, 9, 767–773. , , &
- 1997 Components of relative growth rate and their interrelations in 59 temperate plant species. New Phytologist, 135, 395–417. &
- 1993 Vegetation and Climate: A Thirty-Five Year Study in Road Verges at Bibury, Gloucestershire, and a Twenty-One Year Study in Chalk Grassland at Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire. Contract Report to Nuclear Electric. NERC Unit of Comparative Plant Ecology, University of Sheffield. , , , , , , , &
- 1982 Principal component analysis of the Lamb catalogue of daily weather types. I. Annual frequencies. Journal of Climatology, 2, 147–157. &
- 1964 The English Climate. The English Universities Press, London.
- 1972 British Isles Weather Types and a Register of the Daily Sequence of Circulation Patterns, 1861–1971. Geophysical Memoirs, Vol. 116. HMSO, London.
- 1990 Long-term ecological research and the invisible present. Bioscience, 40, 495–501.
- 1996 The use of the Lamb daily weather types and the indices of progressiveness, southerliness and cyclonicity to investigate the autumn migration of Rhopalosiphum padi. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 25–30. , , &
- 1988 Weather Systems. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1992 British Plant Communities, Vol. 3. Grasslands and Montane Communities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1980 The dynamics of a grassland ecosystem: botanical equilibrium in the Park Grass Experiment. Journal of Applied Ecology, 17, 491–504.
- 1994 Rainfall, biomass variation and community composition in the Park Grass Experiment. Ecology, 75, 2430–2437. , , , &
- 1960 The relation between weather and meadow hay yields in England. Journal of the British Grassland Society, 15, 203–208.
- 1995 The responses of species to climate over two centuries: an analysis of the Marsham phenological record, 1736–1947. Journal of Ecology, 83, 321–330. &
- 1972 Grasses and Legumes in British Agriculture. Bulletin of the Commonwealth Bureau of Pastures and Field Crops no. 49. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Farnham Royal. &
- 1997 New Flora of the British Isles, 2nd edn . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1995 Growth, carbohydrate reserves and drought survival strategies of contrasting Dactylis glomerata populations in a Mediterranean environment. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 56–66.
- 1996 The effect of age of the sward on the relationship between water-soluble carbohydrate accumulation and drought survival in two contrasted populations of cocksfoot (Dactylis glomerata L.). Grass and Forage Science, 51, 190–198. &
- 1985 Historical climate impact assessments. Climate Impact Assessment (eds R.W.Kates, J.H.Ausubel & M.Berberian), pp. 529–564. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. , , , , &
- 1972 Long-term ecological changes in sward composition following application of Maleic Hydrazide and 2, 4–D. Proceedings of the 11th British Weed Control Conference, Pp. 360–367. British Crop Protection Council, London.
- 1988 The effects of growth retardant and selective herbicide on roadside verges at Bibury, Gloucestershire, over a thirty-year period. Aspects of Applied Biology, 16, 19–26.
- 1959 Braunton Burrows: the dune system and its vegetation. Part I. Journal of Ecology, 47, 1–24. , , &
- 1962 The effect of maleic hydrazide and 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on roadside vegetation. Weed Research, 2, 24–40. &