* Current address and correspondence: Institute of Biodiversity and Environmental Conservation, University Malaysia Sarawak, 94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).
Comparative ecology of 11 sympatric species of Macaranga in Borneo: tree distribution in relation to horizontal and vertical resource heterogeneity
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 662–673, August 1998
How to Cite
Davies, S. J., Palmiotto, P. A., Ashton, P. S., Lee, H. S. and Lafrankie, J. V. (1998), Comparative ecology of 11 sympatric species of Macaranga in Borneo: tree distribution in relation to horizontal and vertical resource heterogeneity. Journal of Ecology, 86: 662–673. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00299.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1996 Tree species stratification in relation to allometry and demography in a warm temperate rain forest. Journal of Ecology, 84, 207–218. &
- 1992 Demography and allometry of Cecropia obtusifolia, a neotropical pioneer tree – an evaluation of the climax-pioneer paradigm for tropical rain forests. Journal of Ecology, 80, 275–290. &
- 1978 Micrometeorology of Pasoh Forest. Malaysian Nature Journal, 30, 149–159. , &
- 1992 Comparisons of structure among mixed dipterocarp forests of north-western Borneo. Journal of Ecology, 80, 459–481. &
- 1984 Light requirements of neotropical tree seedlings: a comparative study of growth and survival. Journal of Ecology, 72, 777–796.
- 1987 Site characteristics and the distribution of tree species in mixed dipterocarp forest on tertiary sediments in central Sarawak, Malaysia. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 3, 201–220. , , , , &
- 1983 Characteristics of populations in relation to disturbance in natural and man-modified ecosystems. Disturbance and Ecosystems: Components and Response (eds H. A.Mooney & M.Godron), pp. 259–275. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1991 Regeneration of tropical forests: physiological responses of pioneer and secondary species. Rain Forest Regeneration and Management (eds A.Gomez-Pompa, T. C.Whitmore & M.Hadley), pp. 91–118. The Parthenon Publishing Group, Parkridge, New Jersey.
- 1994 Coping with environmental heterogeneity: the physiological ecology of tree seedling regeneration across the gap-understorey continuum. Exploitation of Environmental Heterogeneity by Plants (eds M. M.Caldwell & R. W.Pearcy), pp. 349–390. Academic Press, San Diego. &
- 1990 Leaf dynamics of seedlings of rain forest species in relation to canopy gaps. Oecologia, 82, 122–127. &
- 1988 Internal heterogeneity of gaps and species richness in Costa Rican tropical wet forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 4, 99–119. , &
- 1985 Gap-phase regeneration in a tropical forest. Ecology, 66, 682–687.
- 1987 Gap-phase regeneration of three pioneer tree species in a tropical forest. Journal of Ecology, 75, 9–19.
- 1994 Causes and consequences of resource heterogeneity in forests: interspecific variation in light transmission by canopy trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 24, 337–349. , , &
- 1986 Light variation and carbon gain in rainforest understorey palms. Journal of Ecology, 74, 995–1012.
- 1985 SOLARCALC 6.03 unpublished computer program. &
- 1988 Interactions between crown structure and light environment in five rain forest Piper species. American Journal of Botany, 75, 1459–1471. , &
- 1992 Life history diversity of canopy and emergent trees in a neotropical rain forest. Ecological Monographs, 62, 315–344. &
- 1998 Edaphic variation and the mesoscale distribution of tree species in a neotropical rain forest. Journal of Ecology, 86, in press. , &
- 1993 Comparative analysis of microhabitat utilization by saplings of nine tree species in NEOTROPICAL rain forest. Biotropica, 24, 397–407. , &
- 1995 Research in large, long-term tropical forest plots. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 10, 18–22.
- 1996 The comparative ecology of Macaranga (Euphorbiaceae). PhD Thesis, Harvard University, MA, USA.
- 1998 Photosynthetic characteristics of nine early-successional Macaranga species from Borneo in relation to life-history traits. Ecology, in press.
- 1995 Pioneer trees of the genus Macaranga (Euphorbiaceae) in Lambir Hills National Park, Sarawak, Malaysia. Long-Term Ecological Research at Lambir Hills National Park, Sarawak, Malaysia (eds H. S.Lee). Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. , &
- 1996 Floristic composition and stand structure of mixed dipterocarp and heath forests in Brunei Darussalam. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 8, 542–569. &
- 1987 Tropical rainforest gaps and tree species diversity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 18, 431–451.
- 1998 Treefall gap size effects on above- and below-ground processes in a tropical wet forest. Journal of Ecology, 86, in press. , &
- 1990 Growth responses of tropical shrubs to treefall gap environments. Ecology, 71, 165–179. , , &
- 1993 Seed and seedling ecology of neotropical Melastomataceae. Ecology, 74, 1733–1749. , , &
- 1988 The effects of environmental heterogeneity in space and time on the regulation of populations and communities. Plant Population Ecology. 28th Symposium of the British Ecological Society (eds A. J.Davy, M. J.Hutchings & A. R.Watkinson), pp. 249–270. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1991 Structure, stand dynamics and species compositional change in three mixed dipterocarp forests of northwest Borneo. PhD, Boston University.
- 1983 Diversity of canopy trees in a neotropical forest and implications for conservation. Tropical Rain Forest: Ecology and Management (eds S. L.Sutton, T. C.Whitmore & C.Chadwick), pp. 25–41. Serial Publication Number 2 of the British Ecological Society, UK. &
- 1995 Survivorship and growth of seedlings of four dipterocarp species in a tropical rainforest of Sarawak, East Malaysia. Ecological Research, 10, 327–338. , , &
- 1987 Forest Ecology. Macmillan Publishing Co, New Jersey.
- 1990a The adaptive significance of tree height. American Naturalist, 135, 809–828.
- 1990b Allometry of saplings and understorey trees of a Panamanian forest. Functional Ecology, 4, 27–32.
- 1994 Relative importance of photosynthetic traits and allocation patterns as correlates of seedling shade tolerance of 13 tropical trees. Oecologia, 98, 419–428.
- 1993 Size-structured tree populations in gap-dynamic forest – the forest architecture hypothesis for the stable coexistence of species. Journal of Ecology, 81, 131–143.
- 1995 Species list for the 52-ha forest dynamics research plot. Lambir Hills National Park, Sarawak, Malaysia. Center for Tropical Forest Science, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute unpublished report. , &
- 1988 Tropical wet forest treefall gaps and distributions of understorey birds and plants. Ecology, 69, 1076–1085.
- 1990 Methodology for the Fifty Hectare Research Plot at Pasoh Forest Reserve. Forest Research Institute Malaysia, Kepong, Malaysia. , , , , , &
- 1992 The effect of leaf litter on early seedling establishment in a tropical forest. Ecology, 73, 68–77. &
- 1996 Primary lowland dipterocarp forest at Danum Valley, Sabah, Malaysia. Species composition and patterns in the understorey. Vegetatio, 122, 193–220. , , &
- 1984 Ecological studies in four contrasting lowland rain forests in Gunung Mulu National Park, Sarawak. IV. Associations between tree distributions and soil factors. Journal of Ecology, 72, 475–493. &
- 1995 Size-dependent allometry of tree height, diameter and trunk taper. Annals of Botany, 75, 217–227.
- 1988 Within-gap spatial heterogeneity and seedling performance in a Mexican tropical forest. Oikos, 51, 274–284. &
- 1982 The influence of treefalls in tropical forests on tree species richness. Tropical Ecology, 23, 255–279.
- 1995 Preliminary characterization of soil texture and organic matter thickness in 52 ha of lowland mixed dipterocarp forest, Lambir Hills National Park, Sarawak Malaysia. Long Term Ecological Research of Tropical Rain Forest in Sarawak (eds H. S.Lee, P. S.Ashton & K.Ogino), pp. 61–67. Ehime University, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- 1994 Dynamics and species richness of tropical rain forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA, 91, 2805–2809. , , , &
- 1988 Pioneer species distribution in treefall gaps in neotropical rainforest; a gap definition and its consequences. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 4, 77–88. , , &
- 1983 Treefall pits and mounds, buried seeds, and the importance of soil disturbance to pioneer trees on Barro Colorado Island, Panama. Ecology, 64, 1069–1074.
- 1994 Photosynthesis–nitrogen relations in Amazonian tree species. I. Patterns among species and communities. Oecologia, 97, 62–72. , , &
- 1977 Environmental heterogeneity and plant species diversity: a hypothesis. American Naturalist, 111, 376–381.
- 1991 Photosynthesis and successional status of seedlings in a tropical semi-deciduous rain forest in Nigeria. Journal of Ecology, 79, 491–503. , , , &
- 1981 The use of non-linear regression methods in crop modelling. Mathematics and Plant Physiology (eds D. A.Rose & D. A.Charles-Edwards), pp. 269–282. Academic Press, London.
- 1985 Plant demography: a community-level interpretation. Studies on Plant Demography: a Festschrift for John L. Harper (eds J.White), pp. 17–31. Academic Press, London. , &
- 1992 Adinandra belukar: an anthropogenic heath forest in Singapore. Vegetatio, 102, 125–137. , &
- 1981 Biometry. Freeman, New York. &
- 1996 Rainfall and soil fertility as factors limiting forest species distributions in Ghana. Journal of Ecology, 84, 419–428.
- 1988 On the definition of ecological species groups in tropical rainforests. Vegetatio, 75, 81–86. &
- 1993 Interspecific allometry in Malaysian Rain forest trees. PhD Thesis, Harvard University, MA, USA.
- 1995 Asymptotic height as a predictor of growth and allometric characteristics in Malaysian rain forest trees. American Journal of Botany, 83, 556–566.
- 1988 Vegetation dynamics in Amazonian treefall gaps. Ecology, 69, 751–763. , , &
- 1984 Litterfall, nutrient cycling, and nutrient limitation in tropical forests. Ecology, 65, 285–298.
- 1986 Nitrogen and phosphorus availability in treefall gaps of a lowland tropical forest. Journal of Ecology, 74, 1167–1178. &
- 1985 Lambir Hills National Park: Resource Inventory with Management Recommendations. National Parks and Wildlife Office, Forest Department, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- 1969 First thoughts on species evolution in Malayan Macaranga (Studies in Macaranga III). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 1, 223–231.
- 1975 Macaranga Thou. The Euphorbiaceae of Borneo (eds H. K.Airy Shaw), pp. 140–159. HMSO, London.
- 1978 Gaps in the forest canopy. Tropical Trees as Living Systems (eds P. B.Tomlinson & M. H.Zimmerman), pp. 639–655. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1990 SYSTAT: the system for statistics. Evanston, IL, USA.
- 1963 Manual of Malayan Silviculture for Inland Forests. Malayan Forest Records, Vol. 23–30, K.L., Malaysia.
- 1974 Three-dimensional distribution of light intensity in a tropical rain forest of west Malaysia. Japanese Journal of Ecology, 24, 247–254.
- 1996 Photosynthesis in relation to growth and seedling ecology of two dipterocarp rain forest tree species. Journal of Ecology, 84, 863–887. &