Sources of plants colonizing experimentally disturbed patches in an acidic grassland, in eastern England
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Ecology
Volume 86, Issue 6, pages 1032–1041, December 1998
How to Cite
Pakeman, R. J., Attwood, J. P. and Engelen, J. (1998), Sources of plants colonizing experimentally disturbed patches in an acidic grassland, in eastern England. Journal of Ecology, 86: 1032–1041. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00327.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1994 An experimental study of the effects of sheep grazing on vegetation change in a species-poor grassland and the role of seedling recruitment into gaps. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 493 – 507. , , &
- 1995 Gap colonization as a source of grassland community change: effects of gap size and grazing on the rate and mode of colonization by different species. Oikos, 72, 273 – 282. , , &
- 1973 Breckland Forest Soils. Special Survey no. 7. Soil Survey of England and Wales, Harpenden, UK.
- 1988Vegetation Ecology of Central Europe, 4th edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1996 Experimental studies on the dispersal of plants and animals on sheep in calcareous grasslands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 1206 – 1222. , &
- 1988Comparative Plant Ecology. Unwin Hyman, London, UK. , &
- 1990 A comparison of method for estimating seed numbers in the soil. Journal of Ecology, 78, 1079 – 1093.
- 1977 The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biological Reviews, 52, 107 – 145.
- 1993 TABLEFIT, Version 0.0, for Identification of Vegetation Types. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Huntingdon, UK.
- 1962 Production of faecal pellets in the wild rabbit. Nature, 194, 988 – 989.
- 1995 Seed bank build-up in small disturbances in a Mediterranean pasture: the contribution of endozoochorous dispersal by rabbits. Ecography, 18, 73 – 82. , &
- 1997 Persistence and colonization of gaps in sown swards of grass and clover under different sward management. Grass and Forage Science, 52, 156 – 166. , , &
- 1995 The influence of resident adults on recruitment – a comparison to settlement. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 190, 169 – 198. &
- 1997 The seedbanks of the Breckland heaths and heath grasslands, eastern England, and their relationship to the vegetation and the effects of management. Journal of Biogeography, 24, 375 – 390. &
- 1985The Ecology of Natural Disturbance and Patch Dynamics. Academic Press, New York, NY. &
- 1992 British Plant Communities, Vol. 3. Grasslands and Montane Communities.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1992a Seedbank dynamics in a Mediterranean grassland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, 763 – 771. , &
- 1992b The fate of legume seeds eaten by sheep from a Mediterranean grassland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, 772 – 778. , &
- 1948 A mathematical theory of communication. Bell System Technological Journal, 27 (379–423), 623 – 56.
- 1978The Moss Flora of Britain and Ireland. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1991New Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1986 Small-scale heterogeneity in the seed bank of an acidic grassland. Journal of Ecology, 74, 733 – 748.
- 1997The Soil Seed Banks of North West Europe: Methodology, Density and Longevity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , &
- 1981 A comparative study of the germination ecology of some microspecies of Taraxacum Wigg. Acta Botanica Neerlandica, 30, 161 – 182. &
- 1993 Seed banks as a neglected area of biogeographic research: a review of literature and sampling techniques. Progress in Physical Geography, 17, 329 – 347. , &
- 1985 Studies in the grazing ecology of heather moorland in north-east Scotland. IV. Seed dispersal and plant establishment in dung. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 461 – 472.
- 1984Biostatistical Analysis, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, London, UK.
- 1992 Seed dispersal by a generalized herbivore: rabbits as dispersal vectors in a semiarid California vernal pool landscape. The American Midland Naturalist, 128, 1 – 10. &