Characterization of ‘safe sites’ for pioneers in primary succession on recently deglaciated terrain
Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2003
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 1, pages 98–105, January 1999
How to Cite
Jumpponen, A., Väre, H., Mattson, K. G., Ohtonen, R. and Trappe, J. M. (1999), Characterization of ‘safe sites’ for pioneers in primary succession on recently deglaciated terrain. Journal of Ecology, 87: 98–105. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00328.x
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2003
- Received 13 March 1998revision accepted 9 July 1998
- 1992 Mycorrhizal fungi and their relationship to plant succession in subalpine habitats. PhD Thesis. Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- 1988 Spatial pattern analysis of seed banks: an improved method and optimized sampling. Ecology, 69, 497–507. &
- 1995 Positive interactions among plants. Botanical Review, 61, 306–349.
- 1993 Physiological controls over plant establishment in primary succession. Primary Succession on Land (eds J.Miles & D.W.H.Walton), pp. 161–178. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK.
- 1989 Seedling growth, physiology, and survivorship in a subalpine, volcanic environment. Ecology, 70, 1325–1324. &
- 1994 Mechanisms of primary succession following deglaciation at Glacier Bay, Alaska. Ecological Monographs, 64, 149–175. , &
- 1977 Mechanisms of succession in natural communities and their role in community stability and organization. American Naturalist, 111, 1119–1144. &
- 1955 Soil development in relation to vegetation and surface age at Glacier Bay, Alaska. Journal of Ecology, 43, 427–448. &
- 1989 Seed banks, fire season, safe sites and seedling recruitment in five co-occurring Banksia species. Journal of Ecology, 77, 1111–1122. &
- 1986 Microsite requirements for germination and establishment of three grass species. American Midland Naturalist, 115, 131–145.
- 1988 What is a safe site? Neighbor, litter, germination date, and patch effects. Ecology, 69, 947–961.
- 1973 Natural Vegetation of Oregon and Washington. General Technical Report PNW-8. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC. &
- 1998 Primary succession on glacier forelands in the subantarctic Kerguelen Islands. Journal of Vegetation Science, 9, 75–84. , , &
- 1992 Plant Succession – Theory and Prediction. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. , &
- 1987 Effect of soil surface topography and litter cover on the germination, survival, and growth of musk thistle (Carduus nutans). American Journal of Botany, 74, 451–457. &
- 1961 The evolution of closely related species living in the same area. Evolution, 15, 209–227. , , &
- 1965 The behaviour of seeds in soil. I. The heterogeneity of soil surfaces and its role in determining the establishment of plants from seed. Journal of Ecology, 53, 273–386. , &
- 1973 Flora of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA. &
- 1997 The interplay of facilitation and competition in plant succession. Ecology, 78, 1966–75. , &
- 1997 No evidence for interspecific interactions between plants in the first stage of succession on coastal dunes in subarctic Quebec, Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany, 75, 902–915.
- 1990 Substrate heterogeneity and regeneration of a swamp tree, Nyssa aguatica. American Journal of Botany, 77, 413–419. &
- 1998 Effects of established willows on primary succession on Lyman Glacier Forefront: evidence for simultaneous canopy inhibition and soil facilitation. Arctic and Alpine Research, 30, 31–39. , , &
- 1972 Influence of birds, stones and soil on the establishment of juniper, Juniperus communis, and red cedar. J. virgiana, in New England pastures. Ecology, 53, 1141–1147.
- 1989 Secondary dispersal of seed across snow in Betula lenta, a gap-colonizing tree species. Journal of Ecology, 77, 853–869.
- 1992 The Ecology of Recently-Deglaciated Terrain. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1987 Vegetation succession on the Storbreen glacier foreland. Arctic and Alpine Research, 19, 385–395. &
- 1989 Generalized Linear Models, 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY. &
- 1987 The influence of diaspore morphology and soil-surface properties on the distribution of grasses. Journal of Ecology, 75, 569–576. &
- 1987 Models, mechanisms and pathways of succession. Botanical Review, 53, 335–371. , &
- 1987 Distribution of seeds in Sonoran dessert soils: implications for heteromyid rodent foraging. Ecology, 68, 1797–1811. &
- 1980 Seed rain in a North American tall grass prairie. Journal of Applied Ecology, 17, 793–802. &
- 1981 Dispersal abilities of seven sparse and common grasses from Missouri prairie. American Journal of Botany, 68, 616–624. &
- 1996 The Statistical Sleuth: a Course in Methods of Data Analysis. Wadsworth Publishing Company, Belmont, CA. &
- 1986 Topographic variation in the abundance of Hieracium floribundum: relative importance of differential seed dispersal, seedling establishment, plant survival, and reproduction. Journal of Ecology, 74, 815–822. &
- 1984 Spatial and temporal variation of seed distributions in Sonoran dessert soils. Journal of Biogeography, 11, 1–11.
- 1971 Studies in seed dispersal. I. Trapping of diaspores in the alpine zone at Finse, Norway. Norwegian Journal of Botany, 18, 215–226.
- SAS 1997 SAS/STAT Software: Changes and Enhancements Through Release 6.12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1974 The behaviour of seeds in soil. III. The influence of seed morphology and the behaviour of seedlings on the establishment of plants from surface-lying seeds. Journal of Ecology, 62, 47–66.
- 1989 Seed dispersal of four sympatric grassland annual species of Erodium. Journal of Ecology, 77, 1005–1020.
- 1987 Succession of marginal arctic environments. Arctic and Alpine Research, 19, 373–384. &
- 1992 Establishment, colonization and persistence. Plant Succession– Theory and Prediction (eds D.C.Glenn-Lewin, R.K.Peet & T.T.Veblen), pp. 60–102. Chapman & Hall, London, UK.
- 1997 Relationships between floristic gradients in a primary succession. Journal of Vegetation Science, 8, 665–676.
- 1966 Plant succession and soil development on gravel outwash of the Muldrow Glacier, Alaska. Ecological Monographs, 36, 181–199.
- 1919 On the causes of failure of natural regeneration in British oakwoods. Journal of Ecology, 7, 173–203.
- 1991 The vegetation of the Storbreen gletchenvorfield, Jotunheimen, Norway. IV. Short-term vegetation change. Journal of Biogeography, 18, 41–52.