Patterns of reproductive effort in male and female shrubs of Oemleria cerasiformis: a 6-year study
Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2003
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 1, pages 77–84, January 1999
How to Cite
Antos, J. A. and Allen, G. A. (1999), Patterns of reproductive effort in male and female shrubs of Oemleria cerasiformis: a 6-year study. Journal of Ecology, 87: 77–84. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00331.x
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2003
- 1987 Intersexual differences in phenology and damage by herbivores and pathogens in dioecious Rubus chamaemorus L. Oecologia, 72, 161–169.
- 1988 Sexual differences in biomass and nutrient allocation in the dioecious Rubus chamaemorus. Ecology, 69, 962–973.
- 1986 Flowering pattern and fruit production in the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis (Rosaceae). Canadian Journal of Botany, 64, 1216–1220.
- 1988 Relative reproductive effort in males and females of the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis. Oecologia, 76, 111–118. &
- 1993 Sex ratio variation in the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis. American Naturalist, 141, 537–553. &
- 1990a Habitat relationships of the Pacific coast shrub Oemleria cerasiformis (Rosaceae). Madroño, 37, 249–260. &
- 1990b A comparison of reproductive effort in the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis using nitrogen, energy and biomass as currencies. American Midland Naturalist, 124, 254–262. &
- 1994 Biomass allocation among reproductive structures in the dioecious shrub Oemleria cerasiformis– a functional interpretation. Journal of Ecology, 82, 21–29. &
- 1989 Flowering, sex ratios, pollen–ovule ratios, fruit set, and reproductive effort of a dioecious tree, Myristica insipida (Myristicaceae), in two different rain forest communities. American Journal of Botany, 76, 74–85. &
- 1992 Indirect costs of seed production within and between seasons in a gynodioecious species. Oecologia, 92, 266–272.
- 1994 A dynamic perspective on the physiological cost of reproduction in plants. American Naturalist, 144, 300–316.
- 1988 Staggered flowering in three Dipterocarpaceae: new insights into floral induction and the evolution of mast fruiting in the aseasonal tropics. American Naturalist, 132, 44–66. , &
- 1992 Leaf production, reproductive patterns, field germination and seedling survival in Chamaedorea bartlingiana, a dioecious understorey palm. Oecologia, 92, 250–256. &
- 1995 A reassessment of using light-sensitive diazo paper for measuring integrated light in the field. Ecology, 76, 1013–1016. , &
- 1988 Spatial segregation of the sexes of dioecious plants. American Naturalist, 132, 34–43. &
- 1993 Sex-biased herbivory in Ephedra trifurca: the importance of sex-by-environment interactions. Oecologia, 96, 49–55. &
- 1988 Allometry and sexual differences in leaf size. American Naturalist, 131, 901–910. &
- 1993 Resource and pollen limitations to lifetime seed production in a natural plant population. Ecology, 74, 1043–1051. &
- 1994 Sexual dimorphism and cost of reproduction in the dioecious shrub Lindera benzoin (Lauraceae). American Journal of Botany, 81, 65–75. &
- 1985 Patterns of biomass allocation to male and female functions in plants with different mating systems. Oecologia, 66, 299–306. &
- 1996 Pollen supply limits fruit initiation by a rainforest understorey palm. Journal of Ecology, 84, 185–194.
- 1877 The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species. Murray, London, UK.
- 1989 Patterns of water use and the tissue water relations in the dioecious shrub, Salix arctica: the physiological basis for habitat partitioning between the sexes. Oecologia, 79, 332–343. &
- 1993 Gender-specific physiology, carbon isotope discrimination, and habitat distribution in box elder, Acer negundo. Ecology, 74, 798–815. &
- 1993 Patterns of resource allocation in a dioecious Carex (Cyperaceae). American Journal of Botany, 80, 607–615. , &
- 1995 Sexual dimorphism masks life history trade-offs in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Ecology, 76, 775–785. &
- 1991 Why do plants produce surplus flowers? A reserve-ovary model. American Naturalist, 138, 918–933.
- 1991 Flowering in males and females of a Utah willow, Salix rigida, and effects of growth, tannins, phenolic glycosides and sugars. Oikos, 61, 65–72. , , &
- 1976 Differential resource utilization by the sexes of dioecious plants. Science, 193, 597–599. , &
- 1997 Sexual specialization and inbreeding avoidance in the evolution of dioecy. Botanical Review, 63, 65–92. , , , &
- 1993 The influence of topography on male and female fitness components of Atriplex canescens. Oecologia, 93, 538–547. , , &
- 1961 A simple method of measuring integrated light values in the field. Ecology, 42, 577–580.
- 1993 Why Prunus mahaleb (Rosaceae) produces more flowers than fruits. American Journal of Botany, 80, 1305–1309.
- 1974 The demography of plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 5, 419–463. &
- 1984 Interactions in the patterns of vegetative growth and reproduction in woody dioecious plants. Oecologia, 61, 109–114. &
- 1988 Survival and flowering of perennial herbs. V. Patterns of flowering. Oikos, 51, 203–219. &
- 1997 Evidence for widespread pollen limitation of fruiting success in Cape wildflowers. Oecologia, 109, 530–534. &
- 1990 How to test for proportionality in the reproductive effort of plants. American Naturalist, 135, 291–300. , &
- 1994 Acorn production by oaks in central coastal California: variation within and among years. Ecology, 75, 99–109. , , &
- 1989 Sex ratio, seed production, biomass allocation, and the cost of male function in Cucurbita foetidissima HBK (Cucurbitaceae). Evolution, 43, 1424–1434.
- 1994 Shoot morphology and reproduction in jojoba: advantages of sexual dimorphism. Ecology, 75, 2384–2394.
- 1992 Patterns of resource allocation in male and female plants of Rumex acetosa and. R. Acetosella. Oecologia, 89, 133–139.
- 1995 Positive effects of pollination on subsequent size, reproduction, and survival of Primula veris. Ecology, 76, 1084–1098. &
- 1973 Sex ratios in sexually dimorphic Umbelliferae. Heredity, 31, 239–249.
- 1977 Secondary sex characters in plants. Botanical Review, 43, 177–216. &
- 1988 Modules of production and reproduction in a dioecious clonal shrub, Rhus typhina. Ecology, 69, 741–750. &
- 1993 Light or pollen – seasonal limitations on female reproductive success in the understorey shrub Lindera benzoin. Journal of Ecology, 81, 315–323.
- 1997 Costs of reproduction in Ilex aquifolium: effects at tree, branch and leaf levels. Journal of Ecology, 85, 159–166.
- 1992. Life history features of three sexual morphs of Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae) clones grown in a common garden. American Journal of Botany, 79, 376–382. , , &
- 1988 Sexual dimorphism in biomass allocation and clonal growth of Xanthoxylum americanum. American Journal of Botany, 75, 1732–1741. &
- 1994 Costs of reproduction in the pink lady's slipper orchid (Cypripedium acaule): defoliation, increased fruit production, and fire. American Journal of Botany, 81, 1083–1090. , &
- 1989 Costs of flower and fruit production in Tipularia discolor (Orchidaceae). Ecology, 70, 1286–1293. &
- 1981 Flower and fruit abortion: proximate causes and ultimate functions. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 12, 252–279.
- 1986 Patterns of fruit-set: what controls fruit–flower ratios in plants? Evolution, 40, 117–128.
- 1996 Somatic cost of reproduction in three carnivorous Pinguicula species. Oikos, 76, 427–434. , &
- 1996 Ten year study of the annual variation in berry and seed production in a population of Vaccinium corymbosum L. American Midland Naturalist, 135, 349–356. &
- 1979 Sexual dimorphism and resource allocation in male and female shrubs of Simmondsia chinensis. Oecologia, 44, 34–39. &