Forest fragmentation effects on palm diversity in central Amazonia
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 1, pages 66–76, January 1999
How to Cite
Scariot, A. (1999), Forest fragmentation effects on palm diversity in central Amazonia. Journal of Ecology, 87: 66–76. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00332.x
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2001
- 1994 Forest fragmentation, pollination, and reproduction in a chaco dry forest, Argentina. Ecology, 75, 330 351. &
- 1994 Effects of habitat fragmentation on birds and mammals in landscapes with different proportions of suitable habitat: a review. Oikos, 71, 355 366.
- 1998 Impact of forest fragmentation on seedling abundance in a tropical rain forest. Conservation Biology, 12, 380 389.
- 1988 Birds in Amazonian forest fragments: effects of insularization. Acta XIXX Congressus Internationalis Ornithologici, Vol. II (ed. H.Oullet), pp. 1564 1579. University of Ottawa Press, Ottawa, Canada. &
- 1983 Os latossolos amarelos álicos, argilosos dentro dos ecossistemas das bacias experimentais do INPA e da região vizinha. Acta Amazônica, 12 (suplemento), 47–60.
- 1995 Edaphic and human effects on landscape-scale distributions of tropical rain forest palms. Ecology, 76, 2581 2594. , , ,
- 1997 The influence of edge effects and forest fragmentation on leaf litter invertebrates in central Amazonia. Tropical Forest Remnants: Ecology, Management, and Conservation of Fragmented Communities (eds W. F.Laurance & R. O.Bierregaard, Jr), pp. 55 70. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1988 The loss of diversity: causes and consequences. Biodiversity (ed. E. O.Wilson), pp. 29 35. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 1955Experimental Design: Theory and Application. The Macmillan Co, New York, NY.
- 1997 Effects of forest fragmentation on mortality and damage of selected trees in Central Amazonia. Conservation Biology, 11, 797 901. &
- 1976 Avian distribution patterns in forest islands of different sizes in central New Jersey. Auk, 93, 356 364. , ,
- 1988 A comment on Quinn and Hastings: extinction in subdivided habitats. Conservation Biology, 2, 290 292.
- 1979 Small mammal populations in woodlot islands. American Midland Naturalist, 102, 105 112.
- 1995The Palms of the Amazon. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1992 A neglected facet of island biogeography: the role of internal spatial dynamics in area effects. Theoretical Population Biology, 41, 205 216.
- 1993 Ecology at the mesoscale: the influence of regional processes on local communities. Taxa Diversity in Ecological Communities (eds R.Ricklefs & D.Schluter), pp. 77 88. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1995 Vegetational dynamics in an experimentally fragmented landscape. Ecology, 76, 1610 1624. , ,
- 1994Biological Diversity: the Coexistence of Species on Changing Landscapes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1984 Dispersal of small seeds by big herbivores: foliage is the fruit. American Naturalist, 123, 338 353.
- 1986 The eternal external threat. Conservation Biology: the Science of Scarcity and Diversity (ed. M. E.Soulé), pp. 286 303. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 1985 The palm community in a forest of Central Amazonia, Brazil. Biotropica, 17, 210 216. &
- 1989 Effects of isolation on the water status of forest patches in the Brazilian Amazon. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 5, 173 185.
- 1997 Edge-related changes in environment and plant responses due to forest fragmentation in central Amazonia. Tropical Forest Remnants: Ecology, Management, and Conservation of Fragmented Communities (eds W. F.Laurance & R. O.Bierregaard, Jr), pp. 33 54. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , , ,
- 1989 Effects of forest fragmentation on dung and carrion beetle community in central Amazonia. Ecology, 70, 1715 1725.
- 1994 Plant taxa richness – the effect of island size and habitat diversity. Journal of Ecology, 82, 367 377. &
- 1997Tropical Forest Remnants: Ecology, Management, and Conservation of Fragmented Communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. &
- 1974 Gene flow in seed plants. Evolutionary Biology, 7, 139 220. &
- 1990 Central Amazonian forests and the Minimum Critical Size of Ecosystems Project. Four Neotropical Rainforests (ed. A. H.Gentry), pp. 60 71. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. &
- 1986 Edge and other effects of isolation on Amazon forest fragments. Conservation Biology: the Science of Scarcity and Diversity (ed. M. E.Soulé), pp. 257 285. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1988Ecological Diversity and its Measurement. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1993 Seed rain and advanced regeneration in a tropical rain forest. Vegetatio, 107/108, 299 318. &
- 1975 Patterns of taxa abundance and diversity. Ecology and Evolution of Communities (eds M. L.Cody & J. M.Diamond), pp. 81 120. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1995 Edge effects in fragmented forests: implications for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 10, 58 62.
- 1975Ecological Diversity. J. Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY.
- 1984 The complexity and stability of ecosystems. Nature, 307, 321 326.
- 1991The Balance of Nature? University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1985 An experimental study of competition among invasive prairie plants. Ecology, 66, 708 720. &
- 1962 The canonical distribution of commonness and rarity. Ecology, 43 (185–215), 410 432.
- 1987 Extinctions in subdivided habitats. Conservation Biology, 1, 198 208. &
- 1988 Extinctions in subdivided habitats: a reply to Gilpin. Conservation Biology, 2, 293 296. &
- RADAMBRASIL 1978Projeto Radambrasil-Programa de Integração Nacional: Levantamento de Recursos Naturais, 18. Ministério de Minas e Energia, Departamento Nacional de Produção Mineral, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 1992 Preliminary tree inventory results from upland rain forest of the Central Amazon. Acta Amazônica, 22, 493 534. , , , , ,
- 1992 Diverse and contrasting effects of habitat fragmentation. Science, 257, 524 526. , , , , , ,
- 1988 Primate population in continuous forest and forest fragments in central Amazonia. Acta Amazônica, 18, 291 307. &
- 1980 Demographic problems in tropical. Demography and Evolution in Plant Populations Systems (ed. O.Solbrig), pp. 161 188. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1996SAS/STAT Software: Changes and Enhancements Through Release 6.11. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC.
- 1996 The effects of rain forest fragmentation on the palm community in central Amazonia. PhD Dissertation. University of California, S. Barbara, CA.
- 1989 Taxa richness, density and distribution of palms in an Eastern Amazonian seasonally flooded forest. Principes, 33, 172 179. , ,
- 1994 Evaluating approaches to the conservation of rare and endangered plants. Ecology, 75, 584 606. , , , ,
- 1982 Refuge design and island biogeographic theory: effects of fragmentation. American Naturalist, 120, 41 50. &
- 1992 The impact of edge formation on regeneration and litterfall in a tropical rain forest fragment in Amazonia. PhD Dissertation. University of Cambridge, Cambridge UK.
- 1995Biometry, 3rd edn. W. H. Freeman, New York, NY. &
- 1989Research Priorities for Conservation Biology. Critical Issues Series. Island Press, Washington, DC. &
- 1992 A importância de frutos de palmeiras (Palmae) na dieta de um grupo de Cebus appella (Cebidae: Primates) na Amazônia Central. A Primatologia No Brasil, 3, 285 296.
- 1995 Use of Amazonian forest fragments by understorey insectivorous birds. Ecology, 76, 2429 2445. &
- SYSTAT 1992Statistics, Version 5.2. Systat Inc., Evanston, IL.
- 1986 Keystone plant resources in the tropical forest. Conservation Biology: the Science of Scarcity and Diversity (ed. M. E.Soulé), pp. 330 344. Sinauer, New York, NY.
- 1975 Life, death, and energy of a tree. Biotropica, 7, 260 269.
- 1981 Similarity indices, sample size and diversity. Oecologia, 50, 296 302.