Range size, dispersal and niche breadth in the herbaceous flora of central England
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 1, pages 150–155, January 1999
How to Cite
Thompson, K., Gaston, K. J. and Band, S. R. (1999), Range size, dispersal and niche breadth in the herbaceous flora of central England. Journal of Ecology, 87: 150–155. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00334.x
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
- 1990 Acorn size and geographical range in the North American oaks (Quercus L.). Journal of Biogeography, 17, 327 332. &
- 1992 Do big acorns matter? A reply to R.J. Jensen. Journal of Biogeography, 19, 581 582. &
- 1997 A new apparatus to measure the rate of fall of seeds. Functional Ecology, 11, 121 125. , , ,
- 1988 Germination ecophysiology of herbaceous plant species in a temperate region. American Journal of Botany, 75, 286 305. &
- 1968 The ecology of arctic and alpine plants. Biological Review, 43, 481 529. &
- 1984 On the relationship between abundance and distribution of species. American Naturalist, 124, 255 279.
- 1989 The habitat, s of scarce and ubiquitous plants: a test of the model of environmental control. American Naturalist, 133, 228 239.
- 1996 Short-term evolution of reduced dispersal in island plant populations. Journal of Ecology, 84, 53 61. &
- 1971 On the measurement of niche breadth and overlap. Ecology, 52, 567 576. &
- 1996 Reserve mass and dispersal investment in relation to geographic range of plant species: phylogenetically independent contrasts. Journal of Biogeography, 23, 329 338. &
- 1996 Experimental studies of the dispersal of plants and animals on sheep in calcareous grasslands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 1206 1222. , ,
- 1994Rarity. Chapman & Hall, London, UK.
- 1998 Species-range size distributions: products of speciation, extinction and transformation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London B, 353, 219 230.
- 1997 Interspecific abundance–range size relationships: an appraisal of mechanisms. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 579 601. , ,
- 1997 Rare–common differences: an overview. The Biology of Rarity: Causes and Consequences of Rare-Common Differences (eds W.E.Kunin & K.J.Gaston), pp. 13 29. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. &
- 1995 Biological flora of the British Isles: Symphoricarpos albus (L.) S. F. Blake (S. rivularis Suksd. S. racemosus Michaux). Journal of Ecology, 83, 159 166.
- 1988Comparative Plant Ecology: a Functional Approach to Common British Plants. Unwin Hyman, London, UK. , ,
- 1981 A comparative study of germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology, 69, 1017 1059. , , , , , , ,
- 1997 Patterns in the distribution, abundance and body size of carabid beetles (Coleoptera: Caraboidea) in relation to dispersal ability. Journal of Biogeography, 24, 903 914. &
- 1980 Influence of larval dispersal and geographic distribution on species longevity in neogastropods. Paleobiology, 6, 193 207.
- 1991The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1992 Rarity at range limits; dispersal capacity and habitat relationships of extraneous moss species in a boreal Canadian National Park. Biological Conservation, 59, 113 120.
- 1993Methods in Comparative Plant Ecology. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. &
- 1998 Ecological correlates of seed size in the British flora. Functional Ecology, 12, 762 766. , , , , ,
- 1997 Plant dispersal: the role of man. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1484 1496. &
- 1992 Acorn size redux. Journal of Biogeography, 19, 573 579.
- 1983 Body size, dispersal ability, and range size in North American species of Brachinus (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Coleopterists’. Bulletin, 37, 232 238.
- 1985 On wing atrophy in carabid beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) with special reference to Nearctic Nebria. Taxonomy, Phylogeny and Zoogeography of Beetles and Ants (ed. G.E.Ball), pp. 408 431. Dr Dr W. Junk, Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- 1994 Floristics and biogeography of a rain forest in the Venezuelan Andes. Journal of Biogeography, 21, 421 440. , , ,
- 1997 Introduction: on the causes and consequences of rare–common differences. The Biology of Rarity: Causes and Consequences of Rare–Common Differences (eds W.E.Kunin & K.J.Gaston), pp. 3 11. Chapman & Hall, London, UK.
- 1993 The biology of rarity: patterns, causes and consequences. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 8, 298 301. &
- 1997The Biology of Rarity: Causes and Consequences of Rare–Common Differences. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. &
- 1992 Reproduction and rarity in British mosses. Biological Conservation, 59, 89 98.
- 1986 Control of relative abundance of perennials in chalk grassland in southern England. Journal of Ecology, 74, 1139 1166. &
- 1993 Geographic ranges of plant species in relation to dispersal morphology, growth form and diaspore weight. Journal of Biogeography, 20, 563 572. , , ,
- 1994 Comparative analyses of ecological characteristics of British angiosperms. Biological Reviews, 69, 95 115. &
- 1998. Changing dispersal processes in the central European landscape since the last ice age: an explanation for the actual decrease of plant species richness in different habitats. Acta Botanica Neerlandica, 47, 27 44. &
- 1995 Comparative analysis by independent contrasts (CAIC): an Apple Macintosh application for analysing comparative data. Computer Applications in Biosciences, 11, 247 251. &
- 1978 Abundance and diaspore weight in rare and common prairie grasses. Oecologia, 37, 213 219.
- 1981 Dispersal abilities of seven sparse and common grasses from a Missouri prairie. American Journal of Botany, 68, 616 624. &
- 1980 Geographic range, life history patterns, and body size in a guild of coral-dwelling mantis shrimps. Evolution, 34, 1019 1030.
- 1995 Community structure in sand dune annuals: is seed weight a key quantity? Journal of Ecology, 83, 857 864.
- 1977New Flora of the British Isles, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1995 Ecophysiology of germination in the aromatic plants thyme, savory and oregano (Labiatae). Seed Science Research, 5, 161 170. , ,
- 1970 Germination of Caryophyllaceae in relation to their geographical distribution in Europe. Annals of Botany, 34, 427 449.
- 1983 A comparative study of germination responses to diurnally fluctuating temperatures. Journal of Applied Ecology, 20, 141 156. &
- 1998 Abundance–range size relationships in the herbaceous flora of central England. Journal of Ecology, 86, 439 448. , ,