A sediment-based history of medium altitude forest in central Africa: a record from Kabata Swamp, Ndale volcanic field, Uganda
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 2, pages 303–315, March 1999
How to Cite
Taylor, D., Marchant, R. A. and Robertshaw, P. (1999), A sediment-based history of medium altitude forest in central Africa: a record from Kabata Swamp, Ndale volcanic field, Uganda. Journal of Ecology, 87: 303–315. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00347.x
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2001
- 1994 Late Quaternary changes from δ13C measurements from a highland peat bog from equatorial Africa (Burundi). Quaternary Research, 41, 225 233. , ,
- 1993 230Th –234U and 14C ages obtained by mass spectrometry on corals. Radiocarbon, 35, 191 199. , , ,
- 1989 High-Ca, low-alkali carbonatite volcanism at Fort Portal, Uganda. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 103, 166 177. &
- 1969 Strontium isotopic studies of alkalic rocks: the potassium-rich lavas of the Birunga and Toro-Ankole regions, east and central equatorial Africa. Journal of Petrology, 10, 536 572. &
- 1997 A revised 30,000-year palaeoclimatic and paleohydrologic history of Lake Albert, East Africa. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 136, 259 279. , ,
- 1985Numerical Methods in Quaternary Pollen Analysis. Academic Press, London, UK. &
- 1994 Pollen-inferred climatic fluctuations in Ethiopia during the last 3000 years. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 109, 331 343. &
- 1996 The East African rift system. Continental Rifts: Evolution, Structure, Tectonics (ed. K.H.Olsen), pp. 213 231. Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. , , , ,
- 1996 Amazonian conservation in a changing world. Biological Conservation, 76, 219 228.
- 1997 Lake level and paleoenvironmental history of Lake Tanganyika, Africa. As Inferred from Late Holocene and Modern Stromatolites Geological Society of America Bulletin, 109, 444 460. , , , ,
- 1996 The effects of fragmentation and disturbance of rainforest on ground-dwelling small mammals on the Robertson Plateau, New South Wales, Australia. Journal of Biogeography, 23, 187 201. &
- 1989 Tectonic development and the western branch of the East African rift system. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 101, 885 903.
- 1947 Observations on the ecology of the Budongo rain forest, Uganda. Journal of Ecology, 34, 20 87.
- 1989Textbook of Pollen Analysis, 4th edn. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK. &
- 1996 Effect of forest fragmentation on genetic diversity and mating system in a tropical tree, Pithecellobium elegans. Conservation Biology, 10, 757 768. , ,
- 1972 The interpretation of pollen diagrams from highland Uganda. Palaeoecology of Africa and Surrounding Islands, 7, 45 149.
- 1982Environmental History of East Africa: a Study of the Quaternary. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 1991 A Field Guide to Ugandan Forest Trees. Hamilton, Godalming, UK.
- 1989 Palynological evidence of differential residence times of organic carbon prior to its sedimentation in East African Rift lakes and peat bogs. Quaternary Science Reviews, 8, 207 212. , , , , ,
- 1989 Non-metamict uranoan pyrochlore and uranpyrochlore from tuff near Ndale, Fort Portal area, Uganda. Mineralogical Magazine, 53, 257 262. &
- 1991Nature Conservation in Uganda's Tropical Forest Reserves. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland.
- 1992 Dynamic history of a tropical swamp. Pollen evidence from Ndurumu, Burundi. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 75, 133 151. &
- 1997 Vegetation dynamics in central Africa since 18,000 yr BP: pollen records from the interlacustrine highlands of Burundi, Rwanda and western Uganda. Journal of Biogeography, 24, 495 512. , , , , , ,
- 1996 Effects of rain forest disturbance and fragmentation: comparative changes of the raptor community along natural and human-made gradients in French Guiana. Journal of Biogeography, 23, 7 25. &
- 1980A Political History of Uganda. Heinemann, London, UK.
- 1969 An ecological history of the Lake Victoria basin. Ecological Monographs, 39, 121 176.
- 1995 Deforestation and bird species composition in Liberia, West Africa. Tropical Zoology, 8, 239 256. &
- 1964The Vegetation of Uganda and its Bearing on Land-Use. Uganda Government Printer, Entebbe, Uganda. , ,
- 1997 Responses of mammals to rainforest fragmentation in tropical Queensland: a review and synthesis. Wildlife Research, 24, 603 612.
- 1974East African Vegetation. Longman, London, UK. &
- 1967 Postglacial vegetation of the Ruwenzori mountains in equatorial Africa. Ecological Monographs, 37, 25 52.
- 1985 Experimental melting and crystallization of glassy olivine melilitites. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 90, 236 243.
- 1996 Late Stone Age and Early Iron Age settlement in the Interlacustrine Region: a district case study. Azania, 29–30, 296 302.
- 1998 Dynamics of montane forest in central Africa during the late Holocene: a pollen-based record from western Uganda. Holocene, 8, 375 381. &
- 1993 The atmosphere during the Younger Dryas. Science, 261, 195 197. , , , , , , ,
- 1982 Past and present environments of the Nyika Plateau, Malawi. PhD Thesis. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- 1997 Reproductive and genetic consequences of forest fragmentation: two case studies of Neotropical canopy trees. Journal of Heredity, 88, 264 276. &
- 1996 Environmental change within the historical period. The Physical Geography of Africa (eds W.A.Adams, A.S.Goudie & A.R.Orme), pp. 60 87. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1959Working Plan for the Kibale and Itwara Forests. First Revision: Period 1959–65. Uganda Forest Department, Entebbe, Uganda.
- 1965 The past and present climate and vegetation of the Rwenzori and its neighborhood. Unpublished DPhil Thesis. University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- 1997 The changing ecology of tropical forests. Biodiversity and Conservation, 6, 291 311.
- 1997 Munsa earthworks: a preliminary report on recent excavations. Azania, 32, 1 20.
- 1996 Gorillas of Bwindi-Impenetrable forest and the Virunga volcanoes: taxonomic implications of morphological and ecological differences. American Journal of Primatology, 40, 1 21. , ,
- 1997 Archaeological views on a history of landscape changes in East Africa. Journal of African History, 38, 393 421.
- 1993 We are what we eat: ancient agriculture between the Great Lakes. Journal of African History, 34, 1 31.
- 1971 Two categories of 13C/12C ratios for higher plants. Plant Physiology, 47, 380 384. &
- 1997 A high-resolution 11,400-yr diatom record from Lake Victoria, East Africa. Quaternary Research, 47, 81 89. , ,
- 1993 Extended C-14 data-based and revised CALIB 3.0 C-14 age calibration program. Radiocarbon, 35, 215 230. &
- 1993 The antecedents of the Interlacustrine kingdoms. Journal of African History, 34, 33 64.
- 1988 The Environmental History of Southwest Uganda. Unpublished DPhil Thesis. University of Ulster, Ulster, UK.
- 1990 Late Quaternary pollen records from two Ugandan mires: evidence for environmental change in the Rukiga Highlands of southwest Uganda. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 80, 283 300.
- 1992 Pollen evidence from Muchoya Swamp, Rukiga Highlands (Uganda), for abrupt changes in vegetation during the last ca. 21,000 years. Bulletin Societe Geologie de France, 163, 77 82.
- 1993 Environmental change in montane south west Uganda: a pollen record for the Holocene from Ahakagyezi Swamp. Holocene, 3, 324 332.
- 1996 Stand dynamics in Mpanga Research Forest Reserve, Uganda, from 1968 to 1993. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 12, 583 597. , , , ,
- 1995 Human-impact in south-west Uganda: long term records from the Rukiga Highlands, Kigezi. Azania, 30, 283 295. &
- 1996 Species loss in fragments of tropical rain forest: a review of the evidence. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 200 209.
- 1997 The use by rain forest mammals of natural forest fragments in an equatorial African savanna. Conservation Biology, 11, 1190 1203. , ,
- 1997 Study of the modern pollen rain in Western Uganda with a numerical approach. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 96, 145 168. , , ,
- 1978 13C/12C, 18O/16O, and 14C concentrations in the carbonatites of the Kalyango Volcano (East Africa). Serie Geologica, 6, 33–41. [in Russian, reference not seen by authors, cited in Barker & Nixon 1989]. , , ,
- 1983The Vegetation of Africa. UNESCO, Paris, France.
- 1985 Charcoal analysis for palaeoenvironmental interpretation. A chemical assay. Quaternary Research, 23, 313 326.