Nitrogen and phosphorus limitation in a coastal barrier salt marsh: the implications for vegetation succession
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2001
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 2, pages 265–272, March 1999
How to Cite
Van Wijnen, Harm. J. and Bakker, Jan. P. (1999), Nitrogen and phosphorus limitation in a coastal barrier salt marsh: the implications for vegetation succession. Journal of Ecology, 87: 265–272. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00349.x
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2001
- 1990Saltmarsh Ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1989Nature Management by Grazing and Cutting. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- 1993 Salt marshes along the coast of the Netherlands. Hydrobiologia, 265, 73 96. , , , , ,
- 1998 Soil organic matter accumulation and its implications for nitrogen mineralization and plant species composition during succession in coastal dune slacks. Plant Ecology, 137, 71 78. , ,
- 1990 Changes in productivity and distribution of nutrients in a chronosequence at Glacier Bay national park, Alaska. Journal of Ecology, 78, 561 578. &
- 1975 The relationship of mineral nutrients to growth of Spartina alterniflora in North Carolina. II. The effects of N, P, and Fe fertilizers. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, 39, 301 307. , ,
- 1984 Nutrient limitation of primary production in a sub-arctic salt marsh. Journal of Applied Ecology, 21, 657 668. &
- 1981 Accumulation of proline and glycinebetaine in Spartina alterniflora Loisel. in response to NaCl and nitrogen in the salt marsh. Oecologia, 49, 224 228. &
- 1986 The nature of nutrient limitation in plant communities. American Naturalist, 127, 48 58. , ,
- 1955 Soil development in relation to vegetation and surface age at Glacier Bay. Journal of Ecology, 43, 427 448. &
- 1989 Resource manipulations in natural vegetation: a review. Vegetatio, 84, 9 29. &
- 1993 A comparative study of the growth and morphology of eight grass species from habitats with different nutrient availabilities. Functional Ecology, 7, 223 229. &
- 1994 Development of the nitrogen cycle in the soils of a coastal dune succession. Acta Botanica Neerlandica, 43, 189 203. , ,
- 1980 The role of organic solutes in osmoregulation in halophytic higher plants. Genetic Engineering of Osmoregulation. Impact on Plant Productivity for Food, Chemicals and Energy (eds D.W.Rains, R.C.Valentine & A.Hollaender), pp. 135 153. Plenum, New York, NY.
- 1977 The effects on the vegetation of the additions of inorganic nutrients to salt marsh soils at Stiffkey, Norfolk. Journal of Ecology, 65, 867 882. &
- 1997 Nutrient limitation and plant species composition in temperate salt marshes. Oecologia, 111, 325 330. , ,
- 1996 Patterns of herbivory along a productivity gradient: an empirical and theoretical investigation. Ecology, 77, 736 745. , , ,
- 1981 Nitrogen as a limiting factor in plant communities. Nitrogen as an Ecological Factor (eds J.A.Lee, S.McNeill & I.H.Rorison), pp. 95 112. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. , ,
- 1997a Long-term changes (1953–90) in the salt marsh vegetation at the Boschplaat on Terschelling in relation to sedimentation and flooding. Plant Ecology, 132, 49 58. , ,
- 1997b Effects of nitrogen addition on the growth of the salt marsh grass Elymus athericus. Journal of Coastal Conservation, 3, 35 40. , ,
- 1990 Year-to-year variation in peak above-ground biomass of six salt-marsh angiosperm communities as related to rainfall deficit and inundation frequency. Aquatic Botany, 36, 139 151. , ,
- 1983 Nitrogen and the development of ecosystems. Nitrogen as an Ecological Factor (eds J.A.Lee, S.McNeill & I.H.Rorison), pp. 113 136. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. , , ,
- 1991 Effects of nitrogen loading on wetland ecosystems with particular reference to atmospheric deposition. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 22, 257 279.
- 1990 SPSS Base System User's Guide. SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL.
- 1993 Species dynamics and nutrient accumulation during early primary succession in coastal sand dunes. Journal of Ecology, 81, 693 706. , ,
- 1997 Vegetation succession and herbivory in a salt marsh: changes induced by sea level rise and silt deposition along an elevational gradient. Journal of Ecology, 85, 799 814. , , , , ,
- 1993 Spatial and temporal patterns of substrate physicochemical parameters in different-aged barrier island marshes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 37, 421 436. &
- 1969 Influence of mineral nutrition on the zonation of flowering plants in coastal salt-marshes. Ecological Aspects of the Mineral Nutrition (ed. I.H.Rorison), pp. 25 35. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK.
- 1985 A study on long term salt marsh succession using permanent plots. Vegetatio, 61, 23 32. &
- 1974 The role of proline accumulation in halophytes. Planta (Berlin), 120, 279 289. &
- 1985 The resource-ratio hypothesis of plant succession. American Naturalist, 125, 827 852.
- 1988Plant Strategies and the Dynamics and Structure of Plant Communities. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 196480 Flora Europaea, Vols 1–5. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , , ,
- 1967 On the effect of phosphorus and nitrogen supplied to Baltic shore-meadow vegetation. Botaniska Notiser, 120, 433 447.
- 1998 Defending the marsh; herbivores in a dynamic coastal ecosystem. Thesis. University of Groningen, Groningen, the Netherlands.
- 1997 Nitrogen accumulation and plant species replacement in three salt marsh systems in the Wadden Sea. Journal of Coastal Conservation, 3, 19 26. &
- 1999 The impact of herbivores on nitrogen mineralization rate: consequences for salt-marsh succession. Oecologia, in press. , ,