Altitudinal and seasonal variation of frost resistance of Fagus crenata and Betula ermanii along the Pacific slope of Mt. Fuji, Japan
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2002
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 3, pages 382–390, June 1999
How to Cite
Gansert, DirK., Backes, K. and Kakubari, Y. (1999), Altitudinal and seasonal variation of frost resistance of Fagus crenata and Betula ermanii along the Pacific slope of Mt. Fuji, Japan. Journal of Ecology, 87: 382–390. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00354.x
- Issue published online: 2 JUL 2002
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2002
- 1983 The freezing of water in woody tissues of apricot and peach and the relationship to freezing injury. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science, 108, 299 – 303. , ,
- 1919 Baumgrenze und Klimacharakter. Rascher und Cie, Zürich, CH.
- 1976 Freezing and injury in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology, 27, 507 – 528. , , , ,
- 1995 The relationship between water content and frost tolerance in shoots of hardwood seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 25, 1738 – 1745. , , ,
- 1980 Am Ost- und Westrand Eurasiens – ein vegetations ökologischer Vergleich. Phytocoenologia, 7, 507 – 511.
- 1967 Index of injury – a useful expression of freezing injury to plant tissues as determined by the electrolytic method. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 47, 229 – 230. , ,
- 1982 Freezing avoidance by deep undercooling of tissue water in winter-hardy plants. Cryobiology, 19, 628 – 639. , ,
- 1978 Assessment of frost damage in radiate pine seedlings using the diffusate electro-conductivity technique. New Zealand Journal of Forest Science, 8, 344 – 350. &
- 1988 Determination of frost hardiness of Eucalyptus using the electrical conductivity of diffusate in conjunction with a freezing chamber. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research, 18, 595 – 600. &
- 1993 Daylength and thermal time responses of budburst during dormancy release in some northern deciduous trees. Physiologia Plantarum, 88, 531 – 540.
- 1980 Units of freezing of deep supercooled water in woody xylem. Plant Physiology, 66, 40 – 45. &
- 1980 Effect of freezing deep supercooled water on the viability of ray cells. Botanical Gazette, 141, 464 – 468. , ,
- 1978 Low temperature exotherms in xylems of evergreen and deciduous broad-leaved trees in Japan with reference to freezing resistance and distribution range. Plant Cold Hardiness and Freezing Stress, Mechanisms and Crop Implications (eds P.H.Li & A.Sakai), Vol. I, pp. 227 – 239. Academic Press, New York, NY. &
- 1949Forest Zone of Japan. Ringyogizyutu-kyokai, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1973 Die Phänologie der europäischen Buchenwälder auf pflanzensoziologischer Grundlage. Phytocoenologia, 1, 1 – 63. &
- 1982Plant Cold Hardiness and Freezing Stress, Mechanisms and Crop Implications, Vol. II. Academic Press, New York, NY. &
- 1991 Freezing stress response in woody tissues observed using low-temperature scanning electron microscopy and freeze substitution techniques. Plant Physiology, 95, 871 – 881. &
- 1985 Ecological studies on the timberline of Mt. Fuji. I. Structure of plant community and soil development on the timberline. Botanical Magazine Tokyo, 98, 15 – 28.
- 1989 Seasonal changes in the air temperature and the humidity over a four-year period at the timberline on Mt. Fuji. Reports of Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, 23, 65 – 72. , ,
- 1990 Seasonal changes in the air temperature and the warmth index over three years at the timberline on Mt. Fuji. Reports of Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, 24, 89 – 96. , , ,
- 1984 A vegetation-ecological view of the Japanese archipelago. Bulletin of the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology . Yokohama University, 11, 85 – 101.
- 1985Vegetation of Japan, Vol. 6. Shibundo Co.Ltd Publishers, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1992 Succession and differentiation of forest communities in the subalpine region of Mt. Fuji. Bulletin of the Tokyo University Forests, 87, 159 – 173.
- 1984 Differentiation of vegetation zones and species strategies in the subalpine region of Mt. Fuji. Vegetatio, 57, 15 – 52.
- 1990 An interpretation of latitudinal patterns of forest limits in South and East Asian mountains. Journal of Ecology, 78, 326 – 339.
- 1972 The relationship of exotherms to cold injury in apple stem tissues. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science, 97, 608 – 613. , ,
- 1991 Measuring cold hardiness. Techniques and Approaches in Forest Tree Ecophysiology (eds J.P.Lassoie & T.M.Hinckley), pp. 557 – 582. CRC Press, Boston, MA.
- 1978 Freezing tolerance of evergreen and deciduous broad-leaved trees in Japan with reference to tree regions. Low Temperature Science, Series B, 36, 1 – 19.
- 1987Frost Survival of Plants. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. &
- 1994 Seasonal patterns and environmental regulation of frost hardiness in shoots of seedlings of Thuja plicata, Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, and Picea glauca. Canadian Journal of Botany, 72, 309 – 316. &
- 1989 Ökophysiologische Untersuchungen an Rotbuchen (Fagus sylvatica L.) in verschiedenen Höhenlagen Nord- und Südtirols. Centralblatt für das Gesamte Forstwesen, 3, 225 – 246. &
- 1971Fujisan Report of the Scientific Survey of Mt. Fuji. Fuji-kyu, Tokyo, Japan. , , , , ,