Seed bank dynamics in abandoned meadows during a 20-year period in the Białowieża National Park
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2002
Journal of Ecology
Volume 87, Issue 3, pages 461–475, June 1999
How to Cite
Falińska, K. (1999), Seed bank dynamics in abandoned meadows during a 20-year period in the Białowieża National Park. Journal of Ecology, 87: 461–475. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00364.x
- Issue online: 2 JUL 2002
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2002
- 1989 Some aspects of the natural history of seed banks. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks (eds M.A.Leck, V.T.Parker & R.L.Simpson), pp. 9 – 21. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1996 Soil seed bank composition along a gradient from dry alvar grassland to Juniperus shrubland. Journal of Vegetation Science, 7, 165 – 176. , , , ,
- 1989 Physiology of dormancy and germination in relation to seed bank ecology. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks (eds M.A.Leck, V.T.Parker & R.L.Simpson), pp. 53 – 66. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. &
- 1989 Seed banks in arable land. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks (eds M.A.Leck, V.T.Parker & R.L.Simpson), pp. 309 – 328. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. &
- 1980 The biology of seeds in the soil. Demography and Evolution in Plant Populations (ed. O.T.Solbrig), pp. 107 – 128. Columbia University Press, New York, NY.
- 1998 The persistence of calcareous grassland species in the soil seed bank under developing and established scrub. Plant Ecology, 136, 27 – 39. &
- 1980 Distribution of buried viable seeds along a successional series. Biological Conservation, 17, 297 – 311. &
- 1978 Behaviour of Caltha palustris L. populations in forest and meadow ecosystems of łowieża National Park. Ekologia Polska, 26, 85 – 109.
- 1981 Experimental investigations of perennial plant populations. Wiadomoíci Botaniczne, 25, 209 – 230.
- 1986 Demography of Iris pseudoacorus L. populations in abandoned meadows. Ekologia Polska, 34, 583 – 613.
- 1989 Plant population processes in the course of forest succession in abandoned meadows. I. Variability and diversity of floristic combinations, and biological mechanisms of species turnover. Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae, 58, 441 – 467.
- 1991Plant Demography in Vegetation Succession. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London.
- 1995 Genet disintegration in Filipendula ulmaria: consequences for population dynamics and vegetation succession. Journal of Ecology, 82, 865 – 877.
- 1997 Life history variation in Cirsium palustre and its consequences for the population demography in vegetation succession. Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae, 66, 207 – 220.
- 1986 Vegetation dynamics in temperate lowland primeval forests. Geobotany, 8, 1 – 537. Dr W. Yunk Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 1996Ekologia Roílin [Plant Ecology]. Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa, Poland.
- 1985Seed Ecology. Chapman & Hall, London, New York.
- 1987 Seed characteristics in relation to succession. Colonisation, Succession and Stability (eds A.J.Gray, M.J.Crawley & P.J.Edwards), pp. 103 – 114. Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford, UK.
- 1992Plant Succession Theory and Prediction. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. , ,
- 1988 Estimation of the seed bank of a chalk grassland ley established on former arable land. Journal of Applied Ecology, 25, 241 – 252. &
- 1998 Attributes of the seed bank after a century of primary succession on islands in Lake Hjalmaren, Sweden. Journal of Ecology, 86, 293 – 303. &
- 1988Comparative Plant Ecology. A Functional Approach to Common British Species. Unwin Hyman Ltd, London, UK. , ,
- 1990 A comparison of methods for estimating seed numbers in the soil. Journal of Ecology, 78, 1079 – 1093.
- 1988 The uncoupling of disturbance and recruitment, two kinds of seed bank, and persistence of plant populations at the regional and local scales. Annals of Zoological Fennici, 25, 23 – 36.
- 1987 Buried germinative seeds in mature beech forests with different herbaceous vegetation and soil types. Holarctic Ecology, 10, 268 – 277. , ,
- 1980 Seed stocks in Ghanaian forest soils. Biotropica, 12, 256 – 263. &
- 1977Population Biology of Plants. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 1991 Succession from heather moorland to birch woodland. III. Seed availability, germination and early growth. Journal of Ecology, 79, 329 – 344. , ,
- 1996a Studies on the feasibility of re-creating chalk grassland vegetation on ex-arable land. I. The potential roles of the seed bank and the seed rain. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 1171 – 1181. &
- 1996b Studies on the feasibility of re-creating chalk grassland vegetation on ex-arable land. II. Germination and early survivorship of seedlings under different management regimes. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 1182 – 1190. &
- 1989 The seed regeneration dynamics of an emergent salt marsh. Journal of Ecology, 77, 615 – 637. &
- 1998 The size and diversity of the soil seeds banks and the light requirements of the species in sunny and shady natural communities of łowieża Primeval Forest. Plant Ecology, 136, 105 – 118. , , , ,
- 1969 Content of buried seed in arable soil in Denmark and its relation to the weed population. Dan Botany Ark, 27, 1 – 55.
- 1975 Buried seed populations in the subarctic forest east of Great Slave Lake, Northwest Territories. Canadian Journal of Botany, 53, 2933 – 2941.
- 1992 Evidence for lottery recruitment in Mediterranean old fields. Journal of Vegetation Science, 3, 91 – 100. &
- 1989Ecology of Soil Seed Banks. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , ,
- 1990 Seed bank dynamics of Mediterranean pastures subjected to mechanical disturbance. Journal of Vegetation Science, 1, 339 – 344. , ,
- 1995 The relationship between the soil seed bank and the above-ground vegetation of a coastal barrier island. Journal of Vegetation Science, 6, 825 – 836. &
- 1993 The role of seedbank and sown seeds in the restoration of an English flood-meadow. Journal of Vegetation Science, 4, 395 – 400.
- 1996 Seed bank classification and its importance for restoration of species-rich flood-meadows. Journal of Vegetation Science, 7, 157 – 164. , ,
- 1990 What is the maximum longevity of seeds? Sven Botany Tidskr, 84, 323 – 352.
- 1992 Seed bank in a 35 year old experiment with different treatments of a semi-natural grasslands. Acta Oecologica, 13, 743 – 752.
- 1995 Soil seed bank after eighteen years of succession from grassland to forest. Oikos, 72, 3 – 13.
- 1993 Soil seed bank and species turnover in a limestone grassland. Journal of Vegetation Science, 5, 35 – 42. &
- 1998 A comparative study of the seedbanks of heathland successional habitats in Dorset, Southern England. Journal of Ecology, 86, 588 – 596. , ,
- 1997 A study of succession on lowland heaths in Dorset, Southern England: changes in vegetation and soil chemical properties. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1426 – 1444. , , ,
- 1996 The trend of soil banks in climax forests in Japan. Verhandlung der Gesellschaft für Ökologie, 25, 301 – 308.
- 1940 Buried viable seeds in a successional series of old field and forest soils. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 67, 253 – 273. &
- 1996 Heathland seedbanks under bracken Pteridium aquilinum (L.) Kuhn and their importance for re-vegetation after bracken control. Journal of Environmental Management, 47, 329 – 339. &
- 1989 Soil seed banks of secondary vegetation on the Port Hills and Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, New Zealand, and their role in succession. New Zealand Journal of Botany, 27, 421 – 435.
- 1989 Seed bank dynamics in temperate deciduous forest. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks (eds M.A.Leck, V.T.Parker & R.L.Simpson), pp. 123 – 147. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. &
- 1983 Seed bank in the soil of the stabilized ecosystem of a deciduous forest (Tilio–Carpinetum) in łowieüa National Park. Ekologia Polska, 3, 145 – 172.
- 1984 Buried viable seed in a ponderosa pine community. Canadian Journal of Botany, 62, 44 – 52. , ,
- 1986 Some concepts and objectives of forest dynamics research. Forest Dynamics of Western and Central Europe (ed. J.Fanta), pp. 32 – 41. Pudoc, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- 1981 Buried viable seed in a North American tall-grass prairie: the resemblance of their abundance and composition to dispersing seeds. Oikos, 36, 191 – 195.
- 1989 Impacts of seed banks on grassland community structure and population dynamics. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks (eds M.A.Leck, V.T.Parker & R.L.Simpson), pp. 211 – 230. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1981 Seed banks in soils. Advances in Applied Biology, 6, 1 – 55.
- 1991 Floristics of chronosequence corresponding to old field–deciduous forest succession in southwestern Ohio. II. Seed banks. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 118, 377 – 384. &
- 1980 Leaf canopy-induced seed dormancy in a grassland flora. New Phytologist, 85, 109 – 118.
- 1981 Seed size, life span and germination date as co-adapted features of plant life history. American Naturalist, 118, 860 – 864.
- 1989 Interactive effects of disturbance and shade upon colonization of grassland: an experiment with Anthriscus sylvestris (L.) Hoffm., Conium maculatum L., Daucus carota L. & Heracleum sphondylium L. Functional Ecology, 3, 229 – 235. &
- 1996 An improved method for seed bank analysis: seedling emergence after removing the soil by sieving. Functional Ecology, 10, 144 – 151. , , ,
- 1987 Seeds and seed banks. New Phytologist, 106 (Suppl.), 23 – 34.
- 1992 The functional ecology of seed banks. The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities (ed. M.Fenner), pp. 231 – 258. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- 1997The Soil Seed Banks of North West Europe: Methodology, Density and Longevity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , ,
- 1993 Seed size and shape predict persistence in soil. Functional Ecology, 7, 236 – 241. , ,
- 1979 Seasonal variation in the seed banks of herbaceous species in the contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology, 67, 893 – 921. &
- 1993 The relationship between the seed bank species composition of plant communities in two British salt marshes. Journal of Vegetation Science, 4, 531 – 536. &
- 1988 Vegetation dynamics: patterns in time and space. Vegetatio, 77, 7 – 19.
- 1991 Floristics of a chronosequence corresponding to old field–deciduous forest succession in southwestern Ohio. IV. Intra- and inter-stand comparisons and their implications for succession mechanisms. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 118, 392 – 398.
- 1991 Floristics of a chronosequence corresponding to old field–deciduous forest succession in southwestern Ohio. III. Post-disturbance vegetation. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 118, 385 – 391. &
- 1984 Changes during 3 years in the size and composition of the seed bank beneath a long-term pasture as influenced by defoliation and fertilizer regime. Journal of Applied Ecology, 21, 603 – 615.