Intrinsic dreams are not produced without REM sleep mechanisms: evidence through elicitation of sleep onset REM periods
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 43–52, March 2001
How to Cite
Takeuchi, T. , Miyasita, A. , Inugami, M. and Yamamoto, Y. (2001), Intrinsic dreams are not produced without REM sleep mechanisms: evidence through elicitation of sleep onset REM periods. Journal of Sleep Research, 10: 43–52. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2869.2001.00237.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2008
- 4Recent research trends in sleep onset mentation. In: S. J. Ellman and J. S. Antrobus (Eds) The Mind in Sleep: Psychology and Psychophysiology (2nd edn.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1991: 137–142.
- 21The problem of NREM recall re-examined. In: A. M. Atkin, J. S. Antrobus, and S. J. Ellman (Eds) The Mind in Sleep. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, New Jersey, 1978: 59–92., &
- 23Dreaming and the brain: Towards a cognitive neuroscience of conscious states. Behav. Brain Sci., 2000, 23: in press., &
- 26Topographical EEG changes and the hypnagogic experience. In: R. D. Ogilvie and J. R. Harsh (Eds) Sleep Onset: Normal and Abnormal Processes. American Psychological Association, Washington, 1994: 237–253., &
- 27The relationship between dream bizarreness and imagination: Artifact or essence? Dreaming, 1993, 3: 179–199., , &
- 35Appearance rate of sleep onset REM period and pre-awakening NREM duration. Sleep Res., 1989b, 18: 141–141., , &
- 36Mentation during sleep. The NREM/REM distinction. In: R. Lydic and H. A. Baghdoyan (Eds) Handbook of Behavioral State Control. Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms. CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999: 101–128.
- 37A review of mentation in REM and NREM sleep: ‘covert’ REM sleep as a possible reconcilliation of two opposing models. Behav. Brain Sci., 2000, 23: in press.
- 38The process of falling sleep. Sleep Medicine Review, in press.
- 41A manual of standard terminology, techniques, and scoring system for sleep stages of human subjects. Washington DC, Public Health Service. U.S. Government Printing Office, 1968.&
- 44Distribution of REM latencies after sleep interruption in depressive patients and control subjects. Biol. Psychiatr., 1982, 12: 1367–1376.&
- 50The dream property scale: An exploratory English version. Conscious. Cogn., in press., , , &
- 51Sleep-onset mentation. In: S. J. and Ellman, J. S., Antrobus (Eds) The Mind in Sleep: Psychology and Psychophysiology (2nd edn.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1991: 125–142.