Combined index of heart rate variability and oximetry in screening for the sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2003
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 53–61, March 2003
How to Cite
Raymond, B., Cayton, R. M. and Chappell, M. J. (2003), Combined index of heart rate variability and oximetry in screening for the sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. Journal of Sleep Research, 12: 53–61. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2869.2003.00330.x
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2003
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2003
- Accepted in revised form 11 November 2002; received 3 September 2002
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. The report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep, 1999, 22: 667–689.
- Descriptive physiological data on a sleep bruxism population. Sleep, 1997, 20: 982–990. et al.
- Sleep on the cheap: the role of overnight oximetry in the diagnosis of the sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. Thorax, 1999, 54: 958–959. and
- Heart rate variability: sleep stage, time of night, and arousal influences. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1997, 102: 390–396. and
- Periodic movements in sleep (nocturnal myoclonus) and restless legs syndrome. In: C.Guilleminault (Ed.) Sleeping and Waking Disorders: Indications and Techniques. Addison-Wesley, Palo Alto, 1982: 265–295.
- Arterial blood pressure responses to graded transient arousal from sleep in normal humans. J. Appl. Physiol., 1993, 74: 1123–1130. et al.
- Factors related to sleep apnea syndrome in sleep clinic patients. Chest, 1994, 105: 1753–1758. et al.
- Fluoxetine-induced sleep disturbance in depressed patients. Neuropsychopharmacology, 1996, 14: 437–442. et al.
- Clinical value of polysomnography. Lancet, 1992, 339: 347–350. et al.
- Importance of the pulse oximeter averaging time when measuring oxygen desaturation in sleep apnea. Sleep, 1998, 21: 386–390. et al.
- Stroke volume and cardiac output decrease at termination of obstructive apneas. J. Appl. Physiol., 1992, 73: 1743–1748. et al.
- Identification and quantification of apneas by computer-based analysis of oxygen saturation. Am. Rev. Respir Dis, 1988, 137: 1238–1240. et al.
- Utility of home oximetry as a screening test for patients with moderate to severe symptoms of obstructive sleep apnoea. Sleep, 1999, 22: 932–937. et al.
- Cyclical variation of the heart rate in sleep apnoea syndrome. Mechanisms, and usefulness of 24h electrocardiography as a screening technique. Lancet, 1984, 1: 126–131. et al.
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1991, 111: 540–545.
- The orienting reflex during waking and sleeping. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1967, 22: 11–21. and
- Fibromyalgia syndrome: overnight falls in arterial oxygen saturation. Am. J. Med., 1996, 101: 54–60. et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: who should be treated? Sleep, 2000, 23 (Suppl. 4): S187–S190.
- What is hypopnea, anyway? Chest, 1994, 105: 426–428. et al.
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs affect normal sleep patterns in humans. Physiol. Behav., 1994, 55: 1063–1066. et al.
- Autonomic markers of arousal during sleep in patients undergoing investigation for obstructive sleep apnoea, their relationship to EEG arousals, respiratory events and subjective sleepiness. J. Sleep Res., 1998, 7: 53–59. and
- Changes in pulse transit time and pulse rate as markers of arousal from sleep in normal subjects. Clin. Sci. (Colch), 1994, 87: 269–273. et al.
- A Manual of Standardised Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 1968. and (Eds)
- Effects of varying approaches for identifying respiratory disturbances on sleep apnea assessment. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2000, 161: 369–374. et al.
- Validation of British Thoracic Society guidelines for the diagnosis of the sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome: can polysomnography be avoided? Thorax, 1995, 50: 972–975. et al.
- Periodic, profound peripheral vasoconstriction – a new marker of obstructive sleep apnoea. Sleep, 1999, 22: 939–946. et al.
- Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples. A preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep, 1992, 15: 174–184.
- Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use. Circulation, 1996, 93: 1043–1065.
- Automated analysis of digital oximetry in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnoea. Thorax, 2000, 55: 302–307. et al.
- Short-term analysis of heart-rate variability by adapted wavelet transforms. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Magazine, 1997, 16: 113–118. et al.
- The evoked heart rate response to periodic leg movements of sleep. Sleep, 1999, 22: 575–580.
- Population-based study of sleep-disordered breathing as a risk factor for hypertension. Arch. Intern. Med., 1997, 157: 1746–1752. et al.