Patterns of performance degradation and restoration during sleep restriction and subsequent recovery: a sleep dose-response study
Version of Record online: 21 FEB 2003
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 1–12, March 2003
How to Cite
Belenky, G., Wesensten, N. J., Thorne, D. R., Thomas, M. L., Sing, H. C., Redmond, D. P., Russo, M. B. and Balkin, T. J. (2003), Patterns of performance degradation and restoration during sleep restriction and subsequent recovery: a sleep dose-response study. Journal of Sleep Research, 12: 1–12. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2869.2003.00337.x
- Issue online: 21 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 21 FEB 2003
- Accepted in revised form 11 December 2002; received 28 June 2002
- A model of human sleep homeostasis based on EEG slow-wave activity: quantatative comparison of data and simulations. Brain Res. Bull., 1993, 31: 91–113. , , and
- Predicting duration of sleep from the three-process model of alertness regulation. Occup. Environ. Med., 1996, 53: 136–141. and
- Validation of the S and C components of the three-process model of alertness regulation. Sleep, 1995, 18: 1–6. and
- The three-process model of alertness and its extension to performance, sleep latency, and sleep length. Chronobiol. Int., 1997, 14: 115–123. and
- Effects of Sleep Schedules on Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Performance. Report MC-00–133, National Technical Information Service, U.S. Department of Transportation, Springfield, VA, 2000. , , , , , , , , and
- Prevalence of self-reported poor sleep in a healthy population aged 50–65. Soc. Sci. Med., 1992, 34: 49–55. , , and
- We are chronically sleep deprived. Sleep, 1995, 18: 908–911. and
- A two-process model of sleep regulation. Hum. Neurobiol., 1982, 1: 195–204. , , and
- Sleep initiation and initial sleep intensity: interactions of homeostatic and circadian mechanism. J. Biol. Rhythms., 1989, 4: 149–160. et al.
- Cumulative effects of sleep restriction on daytime sleepiness. Psychophysiology, 1981, 18: 107–113. and
- Sleep Thieves. Free Press, New York, 1997.
- Performing while sleepy: effects of experimentally-induced sleepiness. In: T. H.Monk (Eds) Sleep, Sleepiness, and Performance. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1991: 97–128. and
- Chronic sleep restriction: neurobehavioral effects of 4, 6 and 8 h TIB. Sleep, 1999, 22 (1 Suppl.): 115. , , , , , and
- Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4–5 hours per night. Sleep, 1997, 20: 267–277. , , , , , , and
- Microcomputer analyses of performance on a portable, simple, visual RT task during sustained operations. Behav. Res. Meth. Instrum. Comput., 1985, 17: 652–655. and
- Altered brain response to verbal learning following sleep deprivation. Nature, 2000, 403: 655–657. , , , , and
- Three-process model of the regulation of alertness and sleepiness. In: R.Ogilvie and R.Broughton (Eds) Sleep, Arousal and Performance: Problems and Promises. Birkhauser, Boston, 1991: 11–26. and
- Performance and mood during and after gradual sleep reduction. Psychophysiology, 1977, 14: 245–250. , , , , and
- ‘High sleepability without sleepiness’. The ability to fall asleep rapidly without other signs of sleepiness. Neurophysiol. Clin., 1996, 26: 15–20. and
- Should we be taking more sleep? Sleep, 1995, 18: 901–907. and
- Quantification of sleepiness: a new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 431–436. , , , and
- Why We Sleep. Oxford University Press, New York, 1988.
- Chronic sleep reduction: daytime vigilance performance and EEG measures of sleepiness with particular reference to ‘practice’ effects. Psychophysiology, 1985, 22: 69–78. and
- Dose–response relationship between sleep duration and human psychomotor vigilance and subjective alertness. Sleep, 1999, 22: 171–179. , , and
- Interactive mathematical models of subjective alertness and cognitive throughout in humans. J. Biol. Rhythms, 1999, 14: 588–597. and
- Experimental Design: Procedures for the Behavioral Sciences, 3rd edn. Brooks/Cole, Pacific Grove, California, 1995.
- Mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2002, 59: 137–138. , , , and
- Chronic restriction of sleep to 4 hours per night for 14 nights changes performance linearly but not subjective sleepiness. Sleep, 1998, 21 (3 Suppl.): 241. , , and
- The cost of sleep-related accidents: a report for the. Natl. Commission Sleep Disord. Res. Sleep, 1994, 1994, 17: 84–93.
- Performance under sleep loss and fatigue. In: S. S.Kety, E. V.Evarts and H. L.Williams (Eds). Sleep and Altered States of Consciousness. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1967: 506–513.
- Catastrophes, sleep, and public policy. Consensus Rep. Sleep, 1988, 11: 100–109. , , , , and
- Sleep during gradual sleep reduction. Psychophysiology, 1977, 14: 237–244. , , , and
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep in America Poll. http://www.sleepfoundation.org.
- Psychological functioning among members of a small polar expedition. Avia. Space Environ. Med., 1995, 66: 943–950. , and
- Effects of sleep deprivation on performance: a meta-analysis. Sleep, 1996, 19: 318–326. and
- A Manual of Standardized Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Brain Information Service and Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 1968. and
- Modulation of synaptic transmission: second messengers. In: E. R.Kandel, J. H.Schwarz and T. M.Jessell (Eds) Principles of Neural Science. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2000: 229–252. , and
- Impact of sleep debt on metabolic and endocrine function. Lancet, 1999, 354: 1435–1439. , and
- Chronic partial sleep deprivation data point to a novel process regulating waking behavioural alertness. Sleep, 2002, 11 (Suppl. 1): 232. and
- Behavioural alertness and the two-process model of sleep regulation during chronic partial sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2002, 11 (Suppl. 1): 233. , , and
- The effects of chronic limitation of sleep length. Psychophysiology, 1974, 11: 265–274. and
- Are we chronically sleep deprived? Bull. Psychonomic Soc., 1975, 6: 47–48. and
- Does sleep fragmentation impact recuperation? A review and reanalysis. J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 237–245. , and
- Impaired performance with acute sleep loss. Psychol. Monographs, 1959, 73: 1–26. , and