Anions permeate and gate GCAC1, a voltage-dependent guard cell anion channel
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 479–487, August 1998
How to Cite
Dietrich, P. and Hedrich, R. (1998), Anions permeate and gate GCAC1, a voltage-dependent guard cell anion channel. The Plant Journal, 15: 479–487. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1998.00225.x
- Issue online: 21 APR 2002
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2002
- Received 29 May 1998; accepted 10 June 1998.
- 1980 Sodium channel permeation in squid axons. II: non-independence and current–voltage relations. J. Physiol. (Lond.), 307, 243 257. &
- 1987 Mechanism of anion permeation through channels gated by glycine and γ-aminobutyric acid in mouse cultured spinal neurons. J. Physiol., 385, 243 286. , ,
- 1996 Nonequilibrium gating and voltage-dependence of the ClC-0 Cl– channel. J. Gen. Physiol., 10, 237 250. &
- 1983 Fitting and statistical analysis of single-channel records. In: Single Channel Recording ( Sakmann, B. & Neher, E., eds.). London: Plenum Press, pp. 191 263. &
- 1980 The permeability of the endplate channel to organic cations in frog muscle. J. Gen. Physiol., 75, 469 492. , ,
- 1997 Characterization of a light-controlled anion channel in the plasma membrane of mesophyll cells of pea. Plant Physiol., 113, 1419 1426. &
- 1995 An aspartic acid residue important for voltage-dependent gating of human muscle chloride channels. Neuron, 15, 463 472. , , , ,
- 1993 Anion permeation in GABA- and glycine-gated channels of mammalian cultured hippocampal neurons. Proceedings R. Soc. Lond.[Biol.], 253, 69 75. &
- 1941The Theory of Rate Processes. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company. , ,
- 1943 Potential, impedance and rectification in membranes. J. Gen. Physiol., 27, 37 60.
- 1997 Alteration of anion channel kinetics in wild-type and abi1–1 transgenic Nicotiana benthamiana guard cells by abscisic acid. Plant J., 12, 203 213. , , ,
- 1981 Improved patch–clamp technique for high-resolution current recording from cells and cell-free membrane patches. Pflügers Arch., 391, 85 100. , , , ,
- 1994 Voltage-dependent chloride channels in plant cells: identification, characterization, and regulation of a guard cell anion channel. In: Current Topics in Membranes, Volume 42 (Guggino, W.B., Ed.). San Diego: Academic Press, pp. 1 33.
- 1990 Ca2+ and nucleotide dependent regulation of voltage dependent anion channels in the plasma membrane of guard cells. EMBO J., 9, 3889 3892. , ,
- 1993 Malate-induced feedback regulation of plasma membrane anion channels could provide a CO2 sensor to guard cells. EMBO J., 12, 897 901. &
- 1994 Malate-sensitive anion channels enable guard cells to sense changes in the ambient CO2 concentration. Plant J., 6, 741 748. , , , , , ,
- 1992 Ionic Channels of Excitable Membranes. Sunderland, Massachusetts: Sinauer Associates Inc.
- 1978 Potassium channels as multi-ion single-file pores. J. Gen. Physiol., 72, 409 442. &
- 1949 The effect of sodium ions on the electrical activity of the giant axon of the squid. J. Physiol., 108, 37 77. &
- 1996 The electrical response of Avena coleoptile cortex to auxins. Planta, 198, 404 412. &
- 1995 Hodgkin–Huxley analysis of a GCAC1 anion channel in the plasma membrane of guard cell. J. Membr. Biol., 146, 273 282. , ,
- 1997a Multi-ion mechanism for ion permeation and block in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator chloride channel. J. Gen. Physiol., 110, 365 377. , ,
- 1997b Permeability of wild-type and mutant cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator chloride channels to polyatomic anions. J. Gen. Physiol., 110, 355 364. , , , , , , ,
- 1995 Anions modify the response of guard-cell anion channels to auxin. Planta, 197, 546 552. &
- 1998 Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) anion binding as a probe of the pore. Biophys. J., 74, 1320 1332. , , , , , , ,
- 1992 Identification and modulation of a voltage dependent anion channel in the plasma membrane of guard cells by high-affinity ligands. EMBO J., 11, 3569 3575. , , , , ,
- 1992 Corrections for liquid junction potentials in patch clamp experiments. Methods Enzymol., 207, 123 131.
- 1997 Differential abscisic acid regulation of guard cell slow anion channels in Arabidopsis wild-type and abi1 and abi2 mutants. Plant Cell, 9, 409 423. , , , ,
- 1995 Gating of the voltage-dependent chloride channel ClC-0 by the permeant anion. Nature, 373, 527 531. , , ,
- 1959 Electrolyte Solutions. 2nd Edn. London: Butterworths Scientific Publications. &
- 1996 Concentration and pH dependence of skeletal muscle chloride channel ClC-1. J. Physiol., 497, 423 435. , , , , ,
- 1998 Protein kinase and phosphatase regulation during abscisic acid signaling and ion channel regulation in guard cells. In: Cellular Integration of Signalling Pathways in Plant Development. NATO ASI Series H 104 ( Schiavo, F.L. Last, R.L. Morelli, G. & Reikhel, N.V., eds.). Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 59 69. , ,
- 1996 GCAC1 recognizes the pH-gradient across the plasma membrane – a pH-sensitive and ATP-dependent anion channel links guard cell membrane potential to acid- and energy metabolism. Plant J., 10, 993 1004. , ,
- 1994 Voltage gating of ion channels. Q. Rev. Biophys., 27, 1 40.
- 1997 Halide permeation in wild type and mutant cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator chloride channels. J. Gen. Physiol., 110, 341 354. , ,
- 1993 Multi-ion pore behaviour in the CFTR chloride channel. Nature, 366, 79 82. , , , , , ,
- 1995 ATP-dependent regulation of an anion channel at the plasma membrane of protoplasts from epidermal cells of Arabidopsis hypocotyls. Plant Cell, 7, 2091 2100. , , ,
- 1971 Eyring rate theory model of the current–voltage relationships of ion channels in excitable membranes. In: Chemical Dynamics. Papers in Honor of Henry Eyring ( Hirschfelder, J.O. & Henderson, D., eds.). New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc., pp. 601 617.
- 1994 An anion current in the plasma membrane of tobacco protoplasts shows ATP-dependent voltage regulation and is modulated by auxin. Plant J., 6, 707 716. , , ,