Circadian dysfunction causes aberrant hypocotyl elongation patterns in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 63–71, January 1999
How to Cite
Dowson-Day, M. J. and Millar, A. J. (1999), Circadian dysfunction causes aberrant hypocotyl elongation patterns in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal, 17: 63–71. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00353.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1997 Computer-assisted measurements of plant growth with linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) sensors. Archives Des Sciences, 50, 233 244. , ,
- 1997 Attenuation of phytochrome A and B signaling pathways by the Arabidopsis circadian clock. Plant Cell, 9, 1727 1743. , , , , ,
- 1981 Circadian endogenous growth rhythm in tomato. Plant Physiol., 67 (Suppl.), 113. , ,
- 1879 Die Tagliche Periodicitat im Lengenwachsthum der Stengel. Mem. Acad. Imp. Sci. St Pétersbourg, VII Serie XXVII. 1–91.
- 1994 Patterns in stem elongation rate in chrysanthemum and tomato plants in relation to irradiance and day-night temperature. Sci. Hort., 58, 139 150. &
- 1997 Kinetics of stem elongation in light-grown tomato plants. Responses to different photosynthetically active radiation levels by wild-type and aurea mutant plants. Photochem. Photobiol., 66, 396 403. &
- 1998 Genetic dissection of the photoperiod-sensing mechanism in the long-day plant Arabidopsis thaliana. In Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants ( Lumsden, P.J. & Millar, A.J., eds.). Oxford: BIOS Scientific, pp. 257 270.
- 1995 Cytokinin action is coupled to ethylene in its effects on the inhibition of root and hypocotyl elongation in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Plant Physiol., 107, 1075 1082. , ,
- 1997 The cryptochrome family of photoreceptors. Plant Cell Environ., 20, 764 767.
- 1997 Light modulation of vegetative development. Plant Cell, 9, 1225 1234.
- 1997 Gibberellins, brassinosteroids and light-regulated development. Plant Cell Environ., 20, 801 806. &
- 1994 A role for cytokinins in de-etiolation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol., 104, 339 347. , , , ,
- 1998 Photoperiodic regulation of flowering time in Arabidopsis. In Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants ( Lumsden, P.J. & Millar, A.J., eds.). Oxford: BIOS Scientific, pp. 243 256.
- 1997 Oligosaccharins, brassinolides, and jasmonates: Nontraditional regulators of plant growth, development, and gene expression. Plant Cell, 9, 1211 1223. &
- 1996 Procuste1 mutants identify 2 distinct genetic pathways controlling hypocotyl cell elongation, respectively in dark and light-grown Arabidopsis seedlings. Development, 122, 683 693. , , , , , ,
- 1996 Genetic and molecular analysis of circadian rhythms. Annu. Rev. Genet., 30, 579 602.
- 1992 Leaf movement rhythm in Arabidopsis thaliana. Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung 47c. 925–928. , ,
- 1988 Effect of diurnal temperature fluctuations on stem elongation circadian rhythms. Hortscience, 23, 820 820. &
- 1998 Molecular analysis of circadian clock-regulated gene expression in plants: features of the ‘;output’ pathways. In Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants ( Lumsden, P.J. & Millar, A.J., eds.). Oxford: BIOS Scientific, pp. 99 118. &
- 1994 A new method of measurement and analysis of the stem extension growth-rate to demonstrate complete synchronization of chenopodium- rubrum plants by environmental-conditions. J. Plant Physiol., 144, 362 369. &
- 1998 Phytochrome B and the regulation of circadian ethylene production in sorghum. Plant Physiol., 116, 17 25. , ,
- 1995 Genetic regulation of development in Sorghum bicolor. IX. The ma3R allele disrupts diurnal control of gibberellin biosynthesis. Plant Physiol., 108, 337 343. &
- 1993 Circadian rhythms in stomatal responsiveness to red and blue light. Plant Physiol., 103, 399 406. , ,
- 1996 The elongated gene of Arabidopsis acts independently of light and gibberellins in the control of elongation growth. Plant J., 9, 305 312. , , , ,
- 1996 Conditional circadian dysfunction of the Arabidopsis early-flowering 3 mutant. Science, 274, 790 792. , , , , , ,
- 1954 Possible interactions between light-dark cycles and endogenous daily rhythms on the growth of tomato plants. Plant Physiol., 29, 301 302. &
- 1978 Circadian changes in activity of the far-red form of phytochrome: physiological and in vivo spectrophotometric studies. Plant Sci. Lett., 13, 9 14. &
- 1998 Auxin transport is required for hypocotyl elongation in light-grown but not dark-grown Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol., 116, 455 462. , ,
- 1998 A clockwork green: Circadian programs in photosynthetic organisms. In Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants ( Lumsden, P.J. & Millar, A.J., eds.). Oxford: BIOS Scientific, pp. 1 34. , , ,
- 1993 Circadian regulated Cab gene transcription in higher plants. In The Molecular Genetics of Biological Rhythms ( Young, M.W., ed..). New York: Marcel Dekker, pp. 73 90. &
- 1997 The five “classical’′; plant hormones. Plant Cell, 9, 1197 1210. &
- 1997 Growth analysis of wild-type and photomorphogenic-mutant tomato plants. Physiol. Plant., 99, 309 315. , ,
- 1982 Photoperiodism and rhythmic response to light. Plant Cell Environ., 5, 395 404. , , ,
- 1998 Transcription of Arabidopsis and wheat Cab genes in single tobacco transgenic seedlings exhibits independent rhythms in a developmentally regulated fashion. Plant J., 13, 563 569. , , , , ,
- 1997 Coordination of plant metabolism and development by the circadian clock. Plant Cell, 9, 1235 1244. &
- 1984 Stem elongation rate in light-grown plants. Evidence for an endogenous circadian rhythm in Chenopodium Rubrum. Physiol. Plant., 60, 437 453. &
- 1998Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants. Oxford: BIOS Scientific. &
- 1998 Ethylene signaling in Arabidopsis: Events from the membrane to the nucleus. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 36, 103 113. &
- 1998 Molecular intrigue between phototransduction and the circadian clock. Ann. Bot., 81, 581 587.
- 1995a Circadian clock mutants in Arabidopsis identified by luciferase imaging. Science, 267, 1161 1163. , , , ,
- 1996 Integration of circadian and phototransduction pathways in the network controlling CAB gene transcription in Arabidopsis. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 93, 15491 15496. &
- 1992 Firefly luciferase as a reporter of regulated gene expression in higher plants. Plant Mol. Biol. Report, 10, 324 337. , , , ,
- 1995b The regulation of circadian period by phototransduction pathways in Arabidopsis. Science, 267, 1163 1166. , , , ,
- 1962 A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue. Physiol. Plant., 15, 493 497. &
- 1996 Rapid electrical and growth responses induced by blue light in hy4 and wild-type Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Physiol., 111, 707. , ,
- 1991 Phytochrome-deficient hy1 and hy2 long hypocotyl mutants of Arabidopsis are defective in phytochrome chromophore biosynthesis. Plant Cell, 3, 1177 1186. &
- 1997 Rapid growth inhibition by red light: a genetic approach using photomorphogenic mutants. Plant Physiol., 114, 1472 1472. , ,
- 1997 Quantitative analysis of Drosophila period gene transcription in living animals. J. Biol. Rhythms, 12, 204 217. , , , , , , ,
- 1998 The late elongated hypocotyl mutation of Arabidopsis disrupts circadian rhythms and the photoperiodic control of flowering. Cell, 93, 1219 1229. , , , , , ,
- 1997 Circumnutations of Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Biological Rhythm Res., 28, 422 440. &
- 1997 The shade avoidance syndrome: Multiple responses mediated by multiple phytochromes. Plant Cell Environ., 20, 840 844. &
- 1998 The short-period mutant, toc1–1, alters circadian clock regulation of multiple outputs throughout development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Development, 125, 485 494. , , ,
- 1995 The effects of cytokinin and light on hypocotyl elongation in Arabidopsis seedlings are independent and additive. Plant Physiol., 108, 1423 1430. &
- 1987Rhythmic Phenomena in Plants. San Diego: Academic Press.
- 1996Photoperiodism in Plants. London: Academic Press. &
- 1997 Signal perception and transduction: The origin of the phenotype. Plant Cell, 9, 1181 1195. &
- 1994 The influence of photoperiod and temperature on the kinetics of stem elongation in Dendranthema-Grandiflorum. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci., 119, 138 143. , , ,
- 1998 Constitutive expression of the Circadian Clock Associated 1 (CCA1) gene disrupts circadian rhythms and suppresses its own expression. Cell, 93, 1207 1217. &
- 1998 Stomatal rhythms. In Biological Rhythms and Photoperiodism in Plants ( Lumsden, P.J. & Millar, A.J., eds.). Oxford: BIOS Scientific, pp. 69 80.
- 1978 Control by light of hypocotyl growth in de-etiolated mustard seedlings. II. Sensitivity for newly-formed phytochrome after a light to dark transition. Planta, 141, 211 216. , , ,
- 1998 The molecular control of circadian behavioral rhythms and their entrainment in Drosophila. Annu. Rev. Biochem., 67, 135 152.
- 1996 The arabidopsis ELF3 gene regulates vegetative photomorphogenesis and the photoperiodic induction of flowering. Plant J., 10, 691 702. , , , , ,
- 1992 Early-flowering mutants of Arabidopsis Thaliana. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 19, 411 418. , , ,