The first two authors have contributed equally to this work.
The role of actin in root hair morphogenesis: studies with lipochito-oligosaccharide as a growth stimulator and cytochalasin as an actin perturbing drug
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 141–154, January 1999
How to Cite
Miller, Deborah D., De Ruijter, Norbert C. A., Bisseling, T. and Emons, Anne mie C. (1999), The role of actin in root hair morphogenesis: studies with lipochito-oligosaccharide as a growth stimulator and cytochalasin as an actin perturbing drug. The Plant Journal, 17: 141–154. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00358.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 29 June 1998;revised 28 October 1998;accepted 12 November 1998.
- 1994 Characterization of a monoclonal antibody prepared against plant actin. Cell Motil. Cytoskel., 29, 339 344. , , , ,
- 1992 Improvements in immunostaining samples embedded in methacrylate: localization of microtubules and other antigens throughout developing organs in plants of diverse taxa. Planta, 187, 405 413. , , , ,
- 1996 Cryofixing single cells and multicellular specimens enhances structure and immunocytochemistry for light microscopy. J. Microsc., 182, 149 161. , , , ,
- 1994 Morphology and microtubule organization in Arabidopsis roots exposed to oryzalin or taxol. Plant Cell Physiol., 35, 935 942. , , ,
- 1998 Distribution and dynamics of the cytoskeleton in graviresponding protonemata and rhizoids of characean algae: exclusion of microtubules and a convergence of actin filaments in the apex suggest an actin-mediated gravitropism. Planta, 205, 39 50. &
- 1998 Rearrangement of actin microfilaments in plant root hairs responding to Rhizobium etli nodulation signals. Plant Physiol., 116, 871 877. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Cytochalasin rearranges cortical actin of the alga Nitella into short, stable rods. Plant Cell Physiol., 36, 765 772. , ,
- 1996 Immunolocalization of tubulin and actin in thick-sectioned fungal hyphae after freeze-substitution fixation and methacrylate de-embedment. J. Microsc., 181, 153 161. , ,
- 1998 Lipochito-oligosaccharides reinitiate root hair tip growth in Vicia sativa with high calcium and spectrin-like antigen at the tip. Plant J., 13, 341 350. , , ,
- 1994 Clonal relationships and cell patterning in the root epidermis of Arabidopsis. Development, 120, 2465 2474. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996 Effects of fixatives and permeabilisation buffers on pollen tubes: implications for localisation of actin microfilaments using phalloidin staining. Protoplasma, 195, 25 36. &
- 1996 Calcium spiking in plant root hairs responding to Rhizobium nodulation signals. Cell, 85, 1 20. , ,
- 1987 The cytoskeleton and secretory vesicles in root hairs of Equisetum and Limnobium and cytoplasmic streaming in root hairs of Equisetum. Ann. Bot., 60, 625 632.
- 1986 Microfibrils, microtubules and microfilaments of the trichoblast of Equisetum Hyemale. Acta Bot. Neerl., 35, 311 320. &
- 1957 The infection of clover root hairs by nodule bacteria studied by a simple glass slide technique. J. Gen. Microbiol., 16, 374 381.
- 1998 The role of ion fluxes in Nod factor signalling in Medicago Sativa. Plant J., 13, 455 463. , , ,
- 1993 Resistance to nodulation of cv. Afghanistan peas is overcome by nodX, which mediates an O-acetylation of the Rhizobium leguminosarum lipo-oligosaccharide nodulation factor. Mol. Microbiol., 10, 351 360. , , , ,
- 1996 Actin-based vesicle dynamics and exocytosis during wound wall formation in characean internodal cells. Cell Motil. Cytoskel., 35, 35 48. , ,
- 1997 A cytochalasin-sensitive actin filament meshwork is a prerequisite for local wound wall deposition in Nitella internodal cells. Protoplasma, 200, 17 30. &
- 1997 Growth and ultrastructure of Arabidopsis root hairs: the rhd3 mutation alters vacuole enlargement and tip growth. Planta, 201, 209 218. , ,
- 1995 Fixation induces differential tip morphology and immunolocalization of the cytoskeleton in pollen tubes. Physiol. Plant., 93, 757 763. &
- 1994 Root hair deformation activity of nodulation factors and their fate on Vicia Sativa. Plant Physiol., 105, 787 797. , , , , ,
- 1956 Protoplasmic movement in pollen grains and pollen tubes. Phytomorphology, 6, 288 295.
- 1993 The dynamic behavior of cytoplasmic F-actin in growing hyphae. Protoplasma, 173, 23 34. &
- 1998 Cytoskeletal control of polar growth in plant cells. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 10, 117 122. , ,
- 1988 Cytochalasin-induced ultrastructural alterations in Nicotiana pollen tubes. Protoplasma Supplement, 2, 65 75. &
- 1990 Symbiotic host-specificity of Rhizobium meliloti is determined by a sulphated and acylated glucosamine oligosaccharide signal. Nature, 344, 781 784. , , , , , ,
- 1993 Three unusual modifications, a d-arabinosyl, an N-methyl, and a carbomoyl group are present on Nod factors of Azorhizobium caulinodans strain ORS571. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci., 90, 1551 1555. , , ,
- 1995 Reorganization of microfilaments in protonemal tip cells of the moss Ceratodon purpureus during the phototropic response. Protoplasma, 188, 59 60. &
- 1997 From signal to form: aspects of the cytoskeleton-plasma membrane-cell wall continuum in root hair tips. J. Exp. Bot., 48, 1881 1896. , ,
- 1996 Actin microfilaments do not form a dense meshwork in Lilium longiflorum pollen tube tips. Protoplasma, 195, 123 132. , ,
- 1995 Actin filament disassembly is a sufficient final trigger for exocytosis in nonexitable cells. J. Cell Biol., 128, 589 598. , , ,
- 1988 Cytochalasin-induced reorganization of actin in Allium root cells. Cell Motil. Cytoskel., 9, 283 298.
- 1981 Direct measurement of actin polymerization rate constants by electron microscopy of actin filaments nucleated by isolated microvillus cores. J. Cell Biol., 88, 654 659. &
- 1992 Broad-host-range Rhizobium species strain NGR234 secretes a family of carbamoylated, and fucosylated, nodulation signals that are O-acetylated or sulphated. Mol. Microbiol., 6, 3573 3584. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1988 Freeze-substitution improves the ultrastructural preservation of legume root hairs. Bot. Mag. Tokyo, 101, 427 441.
- 1992 The actin cytoskeleton in hyphal cells of Sclerotium rolfsii. Mycologia, 84, 41 51.
- 1992 A 2-O-methylfucose moiety is present in the lipo-polysaccharide nodulation signal of Bradyrhizobium Japonicum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci., 89, 8789 8793. , , , , , ,
- 1992 Rhizobium meliloti produces a family of sulfated lipo-oligo-saccharides exhibiting different degrees of plant host specificity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci., 89, 192 196. , , , , , , ,
- 1994 Secretion of cell wall polysaccharides in Vicia root hairs. Plant J., 5, 185 195. &
- 1989 Cortical fine actin filaments in higher plant cells visualized by rhodamine-phalloidin after pretreatment with m-maleimidobenzoyl N-hydroxysuccinimide ester. Protoplasma, 148, 80 86. &
- 1991 A novel highly unsaturated fatty acid moiety of lipo-oligosaccharide signals determines host specificity of Rhizobium. Nature, 354, 125 130. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1995 Sperm exocytosis reconstructed in a cell-free system: evidence for the involvement of phospholipase C and actin filaments in membrane fusion. J. Cell Sci., 108, 2525 2535. , ,
- 1994 Microinjected profilin affects cytoplasmic streaming in plant cells by rapidly depolymerizing actin microfilaments. Curr. Biol., 4, 215 219. , , , , ,
- 1998 Light and electron microscopic study of changes in the organization of the cortical actin cytoskeleton during chromaffin cell secretion. J. Histochem. Cytochem., 46, 193 203. , , , ,
- 1997 Probing the plant actin cytoskeleton during cytokinesis and interphase by profilin microinjection. Plant Cell, 9, 1815 1824. , , , ,
- 1995 Early nodulin gene expression during Nod factor-induced processes in Vicia Sativa. Plant J., 8, 111 119. , , , , , ,
- 1997 Cytoplasmic free calcium distributions during the development of root hairs of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J., 12, 427 439. , ,
- 1996 Plant cell growth responds to external forces and the response requires intact microtubules. Plant Physiol., 110, 425 430. , , ,
- 1996 Membrane–cytoskeleton interaction in regulated exocytosis and apical insertion of vesicles in epithelial cells. In Current Topics in Membranes Volume 43 ( Nelson, A. & James, W., eds. ). New York: Academic Press, pp. 73 96. &