A combined reduction in activity of starch synthases II and III of potato has novel effects on the starch of tubers
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 251–261, 28 January 1999
How to Cite
Edwards, A., Fulton, D. C.., Hylton, C. M.., Jobling, S. A.., Gidley, M., Rössner, U., Martin, C. and Smith, A. M.. (1999), A combined reduction in activity of starch synthases II and III of potato has novel effects on the starch of tubers. The Plant Journal, 17: 251–261. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00371.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 29 June 1998; revised 3 November 1998; accepted 26 November 1998.
- 1996 Cloning and functional analysis of a cDNA encoding a novel 139 kDa starch synthase from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Plant J. 10, 981 991. , , ,
- 1951 Enzymes of starch synthesis and degradation. Adv. Enzymol., 12, 379 428.
- 1992 Loss of crystalline and molecular order during starch gelatinisation: origin of the enthalpic transition. Carbohydr. Res., 227, 103 112. &
- 1998 Mutations in the gene encoding starch synthase II profoundly alter amylopectin structure in pea embryos. Plant Cell, 10, 413 426. , , , , , , , ,
- 1992 Characterization of cDNAs encoding two isoforms of granule-bound starch synthase which show differential expression in developing storage organs of pea and potato. Plant J., 2, 193 202. , , , , ,
- 1996 Evidence that a 77-kilodalton protein from the starch of pea embryos is an isoform of starch synthase which is both soluble and granule bound. Plant Physiol., 112, 89 97. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Biochemical and molecular characterization of a novel starch synthase from potato tubers. Plant J., 8, 283 294. , , , , ,
- 1993 Towards an understanding of the biogenesis of the starch granule. Evidence that Chlamydomonas soluble starch synthase II controls the synthesis of intermediate size glucans of amylopectin. J. Biol. Chem., 268, 16223 16230. , , et al.
- 1998 Characterization of dull1, a maize gene coding for a novel starch synthase. Plant Cell, 10, 399 412. , , , ,
- 1993 Plant transformation and expression vectors. Plant Molecular Biology Labfax (Croy, R.R.D., ed.). Oxford: Bios Scientific Publishers, pp. 121 148. &
- 1998 Isolation and characterization of the zSSIIa and zSSIIb starch synthase cDNA clones from maize endosperm. Plant Molec. Biol., 37, 639 649. , , , , ,
- 1996 The onset of sucrose accumulation in cold-stored potato tubers is caused by an increased rate of sucrose synthesis and coincides with low levels of hexose-phosphates, an activation of sucrose phosphate synthase and the appearance of a new form of amylase. Plant Cell Env., 19, 1223 1237. , , , ,
- 1986 Polymodal distribution of the chain lengths of amylopectin, and its significance. Carbohydr. Res., 147, 342 347.
- 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 277, 680 685.
- 1996 Identification of the major starch synthase in the soluble fraction of potato tubers. Plant Cell, 8, 1121 1135. , , , , ,
- 1997 The effect of chain length and solvent interactions on the dissolution of the B-type crystalline polymorph of amylose in water. Carbohydr. Res., 298, 327 333. , , ,
- 1998 Analysis of starch structure using fluorophore-assisted carbohydrate electrophoresis. Electrophoresis, 19, 2603 2611. , ,
- 1997 Cassava starch biosynthesis: new avenues for modifying starch quantity and quality. Euphytica, 96, 65 75. , , , ,
- 1996 High-resolution slab gel electrophoresis of 8-amino-1,3,6-pyrenetrisulfonic acid (APTS) tagged oligosaccharides using a DNA sequencer. (1996). Electrophoresis, 17, 681 688. &
- 1988 Major differences in isoforms of starch-branching enzyme between embryos of round- and wrinkled-seeded pea (Pisum sativum L.). Planta, 175, 270 279.
- 1990 Evidence that the ‘waxy’ protein of pea (Pisum sativum L.) is not the major starch-granule-bound starch synthase. Planta, 182, 599 604.
- 1998 Major differences in isoform composition of starch synthase between leaves and embryos of pea (Pisum sativum L.). Planta, 204, 86 92. , ,
- 1993 Characterization of starch structures of 17 maize endosperm mutant genotypes with Oh43 inbred line background. Cereal Chem., 70, 171 179. , , ,
- 1998 Characterisation of starch-debranching enzymes in pea (Pisum sativum L.) embryos. Plant Physiol., 118, 581 590. , , ,