Regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis during tomato fruit development: expression of the gene for lycopene epsilon-cyclase is down-regulated during ripening and is elevated in the mutantDelta
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 341–351, February 1999
How to Cite
Ronen, G., Cohen, M., Zamir, D. and Hirschberg, J. (1999), Regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis during tomato fruit development: expression of the gene for lycopene epsilon-cyclase is down-regulated during ripening and is elevated in the mutantDelta. The Plant Journal, 17: 341–351. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00381.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1997 Molecular analysis of carotenoid cyclase inhibition. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 346, 53 64. , ,
- 1994 Xanthophyll biosynthesis in chromoplasts: isolation and molecular cloning of an enzyme catalyzing the conversion of 5,6-epoxycarotenoid into ketocarotenoid. Plant J., 6, 45 54. , , , ,
- 1988 Biosynthesis of carotenoids. In Plant Pigments (Goodwin, T.W., ed.). London: Academic Press, pp. 133 180.
- 1995 Structure and properties of carotenoids in relation to function. FASEB J., 9, 1551 1558.
- 1995 Biochemistry and molecular biology of chromoplast development. Int. Rev. Cytol., 163, 175 247. , , , ,
- 1996 Regulation of a carotenoid biosynthesis gene promoter during plant development. Plant J., 9, 505 512. , , , , , , ,
- 1993 Cloning and functional expression in Escherichia coli of a cyanobacterial gene for lycopene cyclase, the enzyme that catalyzes the biosynthesis of β;-carotene. FEBS Lett, 328, 130 138. , , , ,
- 1998 Genes and enzymes of carotenoid biosynthesis in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 49, 557 583. &
- 1996 Functional analysis of the beta and epsilon lycopene cyclase enzymes of Arabidopsis reveals a mechanism for control of cyclic carotenoid formation. Plant Cell, 8, 1613 1626. , , , , ,
- 1996 The role of xanthophyll cycle carotenoids in the protection of photosynthesis. Trends Plant Sci., 1, 21 26. &
- 1995 An introgression line population of Lycopersicon pennellii in the cultivated tomato enables the identification and fine mapping of yield-associated QTL. Genetics, 141, 1147 1162. &
- 1996 Carotenoids in photosynthesis. Photochem. Photobiol., 63, 257 264. &
- 1994 Carotenoid biosynthesis during tomato fruit development. Plant Physiol., 105, 405 413. , , , ,
- 1993 Fruits – a developmental perspective. Plant Cell, 5, 1439 1451. , ,
- 1993 Regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis during tomato development. Plant Cell, 5, 379 387. , ,
- 1980The Biochemistry of the Carotenoids, Vol. 1. London: Chapman & Hall.
- 1993 Control of ripening. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond.[Biol.]., 342, 241 250. &
- 1998 Molecular biology of carotenoid biosynthetic organisms. Methods Enzymol., 297, 244 263. &
- 1994 Carotenoids in cyanobacteria. in the Molecular Biology of Cyanobacteria (Bryant, D.A., ed.). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 559 579. &
- 1997 Molecular genetics of the carotenoid biosynthesis pathway in plants and algae. Pure Appl. Chem., 69, 2152 2158. , , , , ,
- 1995 Metabolism of cyclic carotenoids: a model for the alteration of this biosynthetic pathway in Capsicum annuum chromoplasts. Plant J., 8, 417 424. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of the gene encoding β-C-4-oxygenase, that converts β;-carotene to the ketocarotenoid canthaxanthin in Haematococcus pluvialis. FEBS Lett., 364, 125 128. &
- 1992 A single polypeptide catalyzing the conversion of phytoene to zeta-carotene is transcriptionally regulated during tomato fruit ripening. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 89, 4962 4966. , , , ,
- 1996 Cloning and characterization of the cDNA for lycopene beta-cyclase from tomato reveals decrease in its expression during fruit ripening. Plant Mol. Biol., 30, 807 819. , , ,
- 1994 The effects of illumination on the xanthophyll composition of the photosystem II light-harvesting complexes of spinach thylakoid membranes. Plant Physiol., 104, 227 234. , , ,
- 1967 The competitive effect of beta- and delta-carotene genes on alpha- or beta-ionone ring formation in the tomato. Genetics, 56, 227 231.
- 1969 Delta-carotene in tomato. Genetics, 62, 769 780.
- 1982 Chemical regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis. In Carotenoid Chemistry and Biochemistry (Britton, G. & Goodwin, T.W., eds). Oxford: Pergamon Press, pp. 371 385. , , ,