Changes in aldolase activity in wild-type potato plants are important for acclimation to growth irradiance and carbon dioxide concentration, because plastid aldolase exerts control over the ambient rate of photosynthesis across a range of growth conditions
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 479–489, March 1999
How to Cite
Haake, V., Geiger, M., Walch-Liu, P., Of Engels, C., Zrenner, R. and Stitt, M. (1999), Changes in aldolase activity in wild-type potato plants are important for acclimation to growth irradiance and carbon dioxide concentration, because plastid aldolase exerts control over the ambient rate of photosynthesis across a range of growth conditions. The Plant Journal, 17: 479–489. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00391.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 14 August 1998;revised 14 December 1998;accepted 17 December 1998.
- 1994 Metabolic control analysis of plant metabolism. Plant Cell Environ., 17, 587 599. &
- 1996 An overview of how rubisco and carbohydrate metabolism may be regulated at elevated atmospheric CO2 and temperature. Agric. Food Sci. Finland, 5, 261 270. , , , ,
- 1985 Organ-specific expression of three leaf/stem specific cDNAs from potato is regulated by light and correlated with chloroplast development. Mol. Gen. Genet., 199, 216 224. , ,
- 1989 Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia, 78, 9 19.
- 1992 Metabolic control analysis: a survey of its theoretical and experimental development. Biochem. J., 286, 313 330.
- 1993 Decreased ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in transgenic tobacco transformed with ‘antisense’ rbcS. V. Relationship between photosynthetic rate, storage strategy, biomass allocation and vegetative plant growth at 3 different nitrogen supplies. Planta, 190, 1 9. , , , , , ,
- 1998 Enhanced carbon dioxide leads to a modified diurnal rhythm of nitrate reductase activity in older plants, and a large stimulation of nitrate reductase activity and higher levels of amino acids in young tobacco plants. Plant Cell Environ., 21, 253 268. , , , , , , , ,
- 1987 Subcellular metabolite levels in spinach leaves. Regulation of sucrose synthesis during diurnal alterations in photosynthetic partitioning. Plant Physiol., 83, 399 407. , ,
- 1998 A moderate decrease of plastid aldolase activity inhibits photosynthesis, alters the levels of sugars and starch, and inhibits growth of potato plants. Plant J., 14, 147 157. , , ,
- 1997 Reduced SBPase levels in transgenic tobacco lead to decreased photosynthetic capacity and altered carbohydrate accumulation. Planta, 204, 27 36. , ,
- 1973 The control of flux. Symposium. Soc. Exp. Biol., 27, 65 107. &
- 1994 Reduction of the chloroplast fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in transgenic potato plants impairs photosynthesis and plant growth. Plant J., 6, 637 650. , ,
- 1992 Inhibition of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in transgenic potatoes leads to sugar-storing tubers and influences tuber formation and expression of tuber storage protein genes. EMBO J., 11, 1229 1238. , ,
- 1989 Reduced-activity mutants of phosphoglucose isomerase in the cytosol and chloroplast of Clarkia xantiana. II. Study of the mechanisms which regulate photosynthate partitioning. Planta, 178, 110 122. , , , ,
- 1990 Control analysis of photosynthate partitioning – Impact of reduced activity of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase or plastid phosphoglucomutase on the fluxes to starch and sucrose in Arabidopsis thaliana (C) Heynh. Planta, 182, 445 454. &
- 1990 Control analysis of photosynthate partitioning: impact of reduced activity of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase or plastid phosphoglucomutase on the fluxes to starch and sucrose in Arabidopsis thaliana L. Heynh. Planta, 182, 445 454. &
- 1973Regulation in Metabolism. London: Wiley and Sons. &
- 1995 Reduction in phosphoribulokinase activity by antisense RNA in transgenic tobacco: effect on CO2 assimilation and growth in low irradiance. Plant J., 7, 535 542. , , , , , , ,
- 1993 Responses of metabolic systems to large changes in enzyme activities and effectors. I. The linear treatment of unbranched chains. Eur. J. Biochem., 213, 613 624. &
- 1991 Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant Cell Environ., 14, 741 762.
- 1995 The use of transgenic plants to study the regulation of plant carbohydrate metabolism. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 22, 635 646.
- 1996 Metabolic regulation of photosynthesis. In Advances in Photosynthesis, Vol. 3, Environmental Stress and Photosynthesis(Baker, N., ed.). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic, pp. 151 190.
- 1994 Does Rubisco control the rate of photosynthesis and plant growth? An exercise in molecular ecophysiology. Plant Cell Environ., 17, 465 487. &
- 1995 Regulation of metabolism in transgenic plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 46, 341 368. &
- 1988 Enzymatic regulation of photosynthetic CO2 fixation in C3 plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Phys. Mol. Biol., 39, 533 594. &