The Nicotiana tabacum plasma membrane aquaporin NtAQP1 is mercury-insensitive and permeable for glycerol
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 565–570, June 1999
How to Cite
Biela, A., Grote, K., Otto, B., Hoth, S., Hedrich, R. and Kaldenhoff, R. (1999), The Nicotiana tabacum plasma membrane aquaporin NtAQP1 is mercury-insensitive and permeable for glycerol. The Plant Journal, 18: 565–570. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00474.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 16 December 1998; revised 30 March 1999; accepted 19 April 1999.
- 1996 Glycerol permeability of mutant aquaporin 1 and other AQP-MIP proteins: inhibition studies. Pflügers Arch., 431, 408 414. , , , ,
- 1995 Evidence for a glycerol pathway through Aquaporin 1 (CHIP 28) channels. Pflügers Arch., 430, 447 458. , ,
- 1996 Responses of wheat plants to nutrient deprivation may involve the regulation of water-channel function. Planta, 199, 372 381. , ,
- 1994 The plasma membrane of Arabidopsis thaliana contains a mercury-insensitive aquaporin that is a homolog of the tonoplast water channel protein TIP. Plant Physiol., 106, 1325 1333. , ,
- 1994 Requirement of human renal water channel aquaporin-2 for vasopressin-dependent concentration of urine. Science, 264, 92 95. , , , , ,
- 1994 Cloning and expression of AQP3, a water channel from the medullary collecting duct of rat kidney. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 10997 11001. , , ,
- 1986 Isolation of the plasma membrane. Meth. Enzymol., 118, 41 54. &
- 1997 Molecular basis of plant-specific acid activation of K+ uptake channels. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 94, 4806 4810. , , , , ,
- 1994 Molecular cloning and expression of a member of the aquaporin family with permeability to glycerol and urea in addition to water expressed at the basolateral membrane of kidney collecting duct cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 6269 6273. , , et al.
- 1998 Water transport activity of the plasma membrane aquaporin PM28A is regulated by phosphorylation. Plant Cell, 10, 451 459. , , , , ,
- 1990 An intrinsic tonoplast protein of protein storage vacuoles in seeds is structurally related to a bacterial solute transporter (GlpF). Plant Cell, 2, 525 532. , ,
- 1998 Significance of plasmalemma aquaporins for water-transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J., 14, 121 128. , , ,
- 1995 The blue light-responsive AthH2 gene of Arabidopsis thaliana is primarily expressed in expanding as well as in differentiating cells and encodes a putative channel protein of the plasmalemma. Plant J., 7, 87 95. , , , , ,
- 1993 A novel blue light- and abscisic acid-inducible gene of Arabidopsis thaliana encoding an intrinsic membrane protein. Plant Mol. Biol., 23, 1187 1198. , ,
- 1997 Regulation of the Arabidopsis thaliana aquaporin-gene AthH2 (PIP1b). J. Photochem. Photobiol. B, 36, 351 354. , ,
- 1994 Water channels in the plant plasma membrane cloned by immunoselection from a mammalian expression system. Plant J., 6, 187 199. , , ,
- 1984 Electroblotting of multiple gels: a simple apparatus without tank for rapid transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide to nitrocellulose. J. Biochem. Biophys. Meth., 10, 203 209.
- 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 277, 680 685.
- 1992 Subunit stoichiometry of a mammalian K+ channel determined by construction of multimeric cDNAs. Neuron, 9, 861 871. , ,
- 1992 The expression pattern of the tonoplast intrinsic protein γ-TIP in Arabidopsis thaliana is correlated with cell enlargement. Plant Physiol., 100, 1633 1639. , , ,
- 1995 Effects of mercuric chloride on the hydraulic conductivity of tomato root systems: evidence for a channel-mediated water pathway. Plant Physiol., 109, 331 335. &
- 1997 Aquaporins and water permeability of plant membranes. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 48, 399 429.
- 1995 Phosphorylation regulates the water channel activity of the seed-specific aquaporin α-TIP. EMBO J., 14, 3028 3035. , , ,
- 1993 The vacuolar membrane protein g-TIP creates water specific channels in Xenopus oocytes. EMBO J., 12, 2241 2247. , , ,
- 1997 Purified vesicles of tobacco cell vacuolar and plasma membranes exhibit dramatically differerent water permeability and water channel activity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 94, 7103 7108. , , , ,
- 1997 Two TIP-Like genes encoding aquaporins are expressed in sunflower guard cells. Plant J., 12, 1103 1111. , , , , , ,
- 1998 Aquaporin function, structure, and expression: are there more surprises to surface in water relations? Planta, 204, 131 139.
- 1995 Water channels in plants: do basic concepts of water transport change? J. Exp. Bot., 46, 1067 1076. &
- 1997 Mercurial-sensitive water transport in barley roots. J. Plant Res., 110, 435 442. , , ,
- 1997 The major intrinsic protein family of Arabidopsis has 23 members that form 3 distinct groups with functional aquaporins in each group. Plant Phys., 114, 1347 1357. , ,
- 1997 The expression of an aquaporin promoter from Mesembryanthemum crystallinum in tobacco. Plant Cell Physiol., 38, 1326 1332. , , , ,
- 1991 Water and urea permeability properties of Xenopus oocytes: expression of mRNA from toad urinary bladder. Am. J. Physiol., 260, C26 C34. &