Present address: University of Cambridge, Department of Plant Science, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EA, UK.
The AtSUC1 sucrose carrier may represent the osmotic driving force for anther dehiscence and pollen tube growth in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 269–278, August 1999
How to Cite
Stadler, R., Truernit, E., Gahrtz, M. and Sauer, N. (1999), The AtSUC1 sucrose carrier may represent the osmotic driving force for anther dehiscence and pollen tube growth in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal, 19: 269–278. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00527.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 22 April 1999; accepted 9 June 1999.
- 1994 Pollination. In: Arabidopsis: an Atlas of Morphology and Development (Bowman, J.L., ed.). New York: Springer-Verlag, pp. 333 347.
- 1998 The H+-sucrose cotransporter NtSUT1 is essential for sugar export from tobacco leaves. Plant Physiol., 118, 59 68. , , , , ,
- 1987 Protein changes in tobacco pollen culture; a newly synthesized protein related to pollen tube growth. J. Plant Physiol., 130, 307 314. , ,
- 1988 Protein synthesis in pollen tubes: preferential formation of new species independent of transcription. Sex. Plant Reprod., 1, 150 155. , ,
- 1993 Microspore and pollen development in six male-sterile mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Can. J. Bot., 71, 629 638. , , , , ,
- 1981 Sugar uptake in lily pollen. Plant Physiol., 67, 793 796. , ,
- 1997 Co-ordinated induction of mRNAs for extracellular invertase and a glucose transporter in Chenopodium rubrum by cytokinins. Plant J., 11, 539 548. &
- 1980 Free space invertase, its possible role in phloem unloading. Ber. Dtsch. Bot. Ges., 93, 363 378.
- 1996 Expression of the PmSUC1 sucrose carrier gene from Plantago major L. is induced during seed development. Plant J., 9, 93 100. , , ,
- 1994 A phloem specific sucrose-H+ symporter from Plantago major L. supports the model of apoplastic phloem loading. Plant J., 6, 697 706. , ,
- 1983. Studies on transformation of E. coli with plasmids. J. Mol. Biol., 166, 557 580.
- 1997 cDNA cloning and tissue specific expression of a gene for sucrose transporter in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Cell Physiol., 38, 1389 1396. , , , ,
- 1995 Identification of genes required for pollen-stigma recognition in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J., 8, 703 714. , , , ,
- 1999 Cell-to-cell and long-distance trafficking of the green fluorescent protein in the phloem and symplastic unloading of the protein into sink tissues. Plant Cell, 11, 309 322. , ,
- 1982 Phytic acid in Petunia hybrida pollen is hydrolyzed during germination by a phytase. Acta Bot. Neerl., 31, 441 447. &
- 1987 GUS-fusions: β-Glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J., 6, 3901 3907. , ,
- 1994 Pollen–pistil interactions and developmental regulation of pollen tube growth in Arabidopsis. Development, 120, 3405 3418. , ,
- 1985 The functions of the endothecium. Acta Bot. Neerl., 34, 130 131.
- 1987 The process of anther dehiscence and pollen dispersal. I. The opening mechanism of longitudinally dehiscing anthers. New Phytol., 105, 487 498.
- 1997 Macromolecular trafficking indicated by localization and turnover of sucrose transporters in enucleate sieve elements. Science, 275, 1298 1300. , , , ,
- 1999 Identification of a pollen-specific sucrose transporter-like protein NtSUT3 from tobacco. FEBS Lett., in press. , , , , , , , ,
- 1987 Phytic acid metabolism in lily (Lilium longiflorum Thunb.) pollen. Plant Physiol., 83, 408 413. , ,
- 1970 Cell-free protein synthesis with polysomes from germinating Petunia pollen grains. Planta, 90, 153 162. , ,
- 1998 Directional guidance of Nicotiana alata pollen tubes in vitro and on the stigma. Plant Physiol., 118, 733 741. , ,
- 1982. Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 1990 Gene activity duringpollen development. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 41, 317 338.
- 1982 Octopine Ti-plasmid deletion mutants of Agrobacterium tumefaciens with emphasis on the right side of the T-region. Plasmid, 7, 15 29. , , , , ,
- 1994 Real-time imaging of phloem unloading in the root tip of Arabidopsis. Plant J., 6, 759 766. , , ,
- 1994 From pollination to fertilization in Arabidopsis. In: Arabidopsis (Meyerowitz, E.M. & Somerville, C.R., eds). Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, pp. 467 483. &
- 1990 Oxygen-dependent modulation of erythropoietin mRNA levels in isolated rat kidney studied by RNase protection. J. Exp. Med., 172, 657 660. , , , ,
- 1990 Cytochemical analysis of pollen development in wild-type Arabidopsis and a male sterile mutant. Plant Cell, 2, 877 889. &
- 1993. Potato sucrose transporter expression in minor veins indicates a role in phloem loading. Plant Cell, 5, 1591 1598. , ,
- 1992. Isolation and characterization of a sucrose carrier cDNA from spinach by functional expression in yeast. EMBO J., 11, 4705 4713. , ,
- 1995 Induction of apoplastic invertase of Chenopodium rubrum by d-glucose and a glucose analog and tissue-specific expression suggest a role in sink-source regulation. Plant Physiol., 108, 285 294. , ,
- 1990 Primary structure, genomic organization and heterologous expression of a glucose transporter from Arabidopsis thaliana. EMBO J., 9, 3045 3050. , ,
- 1993. A sink specific H+/monosaccharide co-transporter from Nicotiana tabacum: Cloning and heterologous expression in baker’s yeast. Plant J., 4, 601 610. &
- 1994 SUC1 and SUC2: two sucrose transporters from Arabidopsis thaliana; expression and characterization in baker’s yeast and identification of the histidine tagged protein. Plant J., 6, 67 77. &
- 1994 Arabidopsis gene and cDNA encoding cell-wall invertase. Plant Physiol., 104, 809 810. , , , , , , ,
- 1991 The molecular bioogy of anther development. Plant Sci., 80, 167 191. , , ,
- 1990 Early flower development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 2, 755 767. , ,
- 1995 Phloem loading by the PmSUC2 sucrose carrier from Plantago major occurs into companion cells. Plant Cell, 7, 1545 1554. , , , ,
- 1996 The Arabidopsis thaliana AtSUC2 gene is specifically expressed in companion cells. Bot. Acta, 109, 299 306. &
- 1995 Rapid purification of a functionally active plant sucrose carrier from transgenic yeast using a bacterial biotin acceptor domain. FEBS Lett., 377, 167 171. , ,
- 1990 cDNA cloning of carrot extracellular β-fructosidase and its expression in response to wounding and bacterial infection. Plant Cell, 2, 1107 1119. &
- 1995 The promoter of the Arabidopsis thaliana SUC2 sucrose-H+ symporter gene directs expression of 8Symbol-glucuronidase to the phloem: Evidence for phloem loading and unloading by SUC2. Planta, 196, 564 570. &
- 1996 The sink-specific and stress regulated Arabidopsis STP4 gene: enhanced expression of a gene encoding a monosaccharide transporter by wounding, elicitors and pathogen challenge. Plant Cell, 8, 2169 2182. , , , ,
- 1999 A male gametophyte-specific monosaccharide transporter in Arabidopsis. Plant J., 17, 191 201. , , ,
- 1995 Seed-coat associated invertases of fava bean control both unloading and storage functions: Cloning of cDNAs and cell type-specific expression. Plant Cell, 7, 1835 1846. , , , ,
- 1997 A role for sugar transporters during seed development: molecular characterization of a hexose transporter and a sucrose carrier in Vicia faba. Plant Cell, 9, 895 908. , , , ,
- 1996 An active sucrose carrier (Scr1) that is predomonantly expressed in the seedlings of Ricinus communis L. J. Plant Physiol., 147, 685 690. &
- 1998 Hexose transport in growing Petunia pollen tubes and characterization of a pollen-specific, putative monosaccharide transporter. Plant Physiol., 118, 297 304. , , ,
- 1997 A kinetic model with ordered cytoplasmic dissociation for SUC1, and Arabidopsis H+/sucrose cotransporter expressed in Xenopus oocytes. J. Membrane Biol., 159, 113 125. , , , ,