Present address: Department of Biochemistry, Royal Holloway College, University of London, London TW20 OBE, UK.
Characterization of the unconventional myosin VIII in plant cells and its localization at the post-cytokinetic cell wall
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 555–567, September
How to Cite
Reichelt, S., Knight, A. E., Hodge, T. P., Baluska, F., Samaj, J., Volkmann, D. and Kendrick-Jones, J. (1999), Characterization of the unconventional myosin VIII in plant cells and its localization at the post-cytokinetic cell wall. The Plant Journal, 19: 555–567. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1999.00553.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 19 May 1999; accepted 7 July 1999.
- 1997 Molecular motors in higher plants. Trends Plant Science, 2, 29 37. &
- 1996 Myosins on the move to signal transduction. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 8, 18 22.
- 1994 Rat myr4 defines a novel class of myosin I: identification, distribution, localisation and mapping of calmodulin binding sites with differential calcium sensitivity. J. Cell Biol., 126, 375 389. , , ,
- 1992 Specific patterns of cortical and endoplasmic microtubules associated with cell growth Rearrangements of F-actin arrays in growing cells of intact maize root apex tissues: a major developmental switch occurs in the postmitotic transition region. Eur. J. Cell Biol., 72, 113 121. , ,
- 1994 Characterization of an Arabidopsis calmodulin-like domain protein kinase purified from Escherichia coli using an affinity sandwich technique. Biochemistry, 33, 2033 2041. , ,
- 1995 Growth and microtubule orientation of maize roots subjected to osmotic stress. Int. J. Plant Sci., 156, 794 802. &
- 1981 ‘Western blotting’: Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels to unmodified nitrocellulose and radiographic detection with antibody and radioiodinated protein A. Anal. Biochem., 112, 195 203.
- 1996 Conservation within the motor domain: Implications for structure and function. Structure, 4, 969 987. , , ,
- 1996. Evidence that actin filaments are involved in controlling the permeability of plasmodesmata in tobacco mesophyll. Plant J., 10, 157 164. , ,
- 1983 Antibody to thymus myosin: Its immunological characterization and use for immunocytochemical localization of myosin in vertebrate nonmuscle cells. Eur. J. Cell Biol., 30, 100 111. , , ,
- 1977 Enumeration of lymphocyte populations in whole peripheral blood with alkaline phosphatase-labelled reagents. A method for routine clinical use. Clin. Exp. Immunol., 29, 162 167. &
- 1994 Membrane motility mediated by unconventional myosin. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 6, 131 135. &
- 1996 Partial characterization of a putative 110 kDa myosin from the green alga Chara corallina by in vitro binding of fluorescent F-actin. Cell Biol. Int., 20, 365 373. , , ,
- 1988 Myosin and Ca2+-sensitive streaming in the alga Chara: detection of two polypeptides reacting with a monoclonal anti-myosin and their localization in the streaming cytoplasm. Eur. J. Cell. Biol., 47, 22 31. , , , ,
- 1994 The structure and function of unconventional myosins: a review. J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil., 15, 1 10.
- 1988. Antibodies: a Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press. &
- 1995 Molecular motors, membrane movements and physiology: Emerging roles for myosins. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 7, 587 594. &
- 1994 The role of calcium in cell division. Cell Calcium, 16, 322 330.
- 1990 Caffeine inhibition of cytokinesis: Ultrastructure of cell plate formation/degradation. Protoplasma, 157, 182 192. &
- 1989 Myosin associated with the surface of organelles, vegetative nuclei and generative cells in angiosperm pollen grains and tubes. J. Cell Sci., 94, 319 325. &
- 1995 The fastest actin-based motor protein from the green algae, Chara, and its distinct mode of interaction with actin. FEBS Lett., 375, 151 154. , , , , , ,
- 1969 The distribution of plasmodesmata in the root tip of maize. Planta, 89, 352 360. &
- 1988 The mechanism of cytoplasmic streaming in Characean algal cells: Sliding of endoplasmic reticulum along actin filaments. J. Cell Biol., 106, 1545 1552. &
- 1999 Myosin, plant. in the Guidebook of Cytoskeletal and Motor Proteins 2nd edn (Kreiss, T. & Vale, R., eds). Oxford. Oxford University Press, pp. 457 460. &
- 1994 A myosin from a higher plant has structural similarities to class V myosins. J. Mol. Biol., 239, 591 597. &
- 1994 Molecular analysis of the myosin gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant. Mol. Biol., 26, 1139 1153. , ,
- 1993 A myosin-like protein from a higher plant. J. Mol. Biol., 231, 148 154. &
- 1990 Cytoplasmic streaming in plant cells. Int. Rev. Cytol., 121, 267 307.
- 1991 Immunolocalization of myosin in intact and wounded cells of the green alga Ernodesmis verticillata (Kützing) Borgesen. Planta, 184, 209 217.
- 1995 Identification of a myosin-like protein in Chlamydomonas Rheinhardtii (Chlorophyta). J. Phycology, 31, 302 306. , ,
- 1996 Selective trafficking of KNOTTED1 homeodomain protein and its mRNA through plasmodesmata. Science, 270, 1981–82. , , , , , ,
- 1978 SDS microslab linear gradient polyacryamide gel electrophoresis. Anal. Biochem., 83, 386 396. &
- 1991 Actin and actin-associated proteins. in the Cytoskeletal Basis of Plant Growth and Form (Lloyd, C.W., ed.). London. Academic Press Ltd, pp. 3 14. &
- 1995 Tobacco mosaic virus movement protein associates with the cytoskeleton in tobacco cells. Plant Cell, 7, 2101 2114. , ,
- 1998 Unconventional myosins in cell movement, membrane traffic and signal transduction. Science, 279, 527 533. , ,
- 1995 Identification and localization of three classes of myosins in pollen tubes of Lilium longiflorum and Nicotiana alata. J. Cell Sci., 108, 2549 2653. , ,
- 1990 A role for preprophase bands of microtubules in maturation of new cell-walls, and a general proposal of the function of preprophase band sites in cell-division in higher plants. J. Cell Sci., 97, 527 537. &
- 1993 PCR-dependent amplification and sequence characterization of partial DNAs encoding myosin-like proteins in Anemia phyllitidis (L.) Sw. & Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Mol. Biol., 21, 1077 1083. , ,
- 1988 Immunogold localization of the cell-wall matrix polysaccharides rhamnogalacturonan-1 and xyloglucan-1 during cell expansion and cytokinesis in trifolium pratense l. – implication for secretory pathways. Planta, 174, 433 445. &
- 1995 Unconventional myosins. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol., 11, 633 675. &
- 1989 Control of plant-cell wall biogenesis – an overview. ACS Symp Series, 399, 1 15.
- 1982 Intercellular communication in Azolla roots: I. Ultrastructure of plasmodesmata. Protoplasma, 111, 134 150. , ,
- 1997 Myosins from Angiosperms, ferns and algae. Amplification of gene fragments with versatile PCR primers and detection of protein products with a monoclonal antibody to a conserved head epitope. Protoplasma, 196, 78 86. , , , , ,
- 1989 Myosin heavy chains: Detection by immunoblotting in higher plants and localization by immunofluorescence in the alga Chara. Cell. Biol. Int. Report, 13, 107 117. , , ,
- 1998 Localization of a myosin-like protein to plasmodesmata. Plant J., 14, 743 750. &
- 1997 Characterization of a plant myosin. Mol. Biol. Cell, 7 (Suppl.), 216a. , , , , ,
- 1995 Cytokinesis in tobacco BY-2 and root tip cells: a new model of cell plate formation in higher plants. J. Cell Biol., 130, 1345 1357. , ,
- 1986 Use of bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase to direct selective high level expression of cloned genes. J. Mol. Biol., 189, 113 130. &
- 1989 Immunochemical and immunocytochemical identification of a myosin heavy chain polypeptide in Nicotiana pollen tubes. J. Cell. Sci., 92, 569 574. , ,
- 1993 Myosins. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 5, 77 81.
- 1987 Actin and myosin filaments from the conducting tissues of Heracleum sosnowskyi. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 25, 689 696. , , , ,
- 1982 Tomato actin and myosin: contractile proteins from higher plants. Cell Motil., 2, 131 148. , , ,
- 1997 Caffeine inhibition of cytokinesis: Effect on the phragmoplast cytoskeleton in living Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Protoplasma, 196, 155 166. &
- 1997 Immunofluorescence detection of F-actin on low melting point wax sections from plant tissues. J. Histochem. Cytochem., 45, 89 95. , , ,
- 1995 Tobacco mosaic virus movement protein-mediated protein transport between trichome cells. Plant Cell, 7, 2069 2079. &
- 1994 Actin associated with plasmodesmata. Protoplasma, 180, 169 184. , , ,
- 1993 Organelle movements. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 44, 181 202.
- 1995 Myosin from alga Chara: Unique structure revealed by electron microscopy. J. Mol. Biol., 254, 109 115. , , , ,
- 1995 Localization of a 170kDa myosin heavy chain in plant cells. Protoplasma, 185, 178 187. , , , ,
- 1994 Isolation and characterization of plant myosin from pollen tubes of lily. Protoplasma, 177, 153 162. &
- 1995 Plasmodesmata: Plant channels for molecules on the move. Science, 270, 1943–44.