Present address: Centro de Investigaciones Agronomicas, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica.
Transformation of Arabidopsis with the codA gene for choline oxidase enhances freezing tolerance of plants
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 449–453, June 2000
How to Cite
Sakamoto, A., Valverde, R., Alia, Chen, T. H. H. and Murata, N. (2000), Transformation of Arabidopsis with the codA gene for choline oxidase enhances freezing tolerance of plants. The Plant Journal, 22: 449–453. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.2000.00749.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 14 December 1999; revised 7 March 2000; accepted 10 March 2000.
- 1998a Transformation with a gene for choline oxidase enhances the cold tolerance of Arabidopsis during germination and early growth. Plant Cell Environ., 21, 232–239. , &
- 1998b Enhancement of the tolerance of Arabidopsis to high temperatures by genetic engineering of the synthesis of glycinebetaine. Plant J., 16, 155–161. , &
- 1999 Enhanced tolerance to light stress in transgenic plants of Arabidopsis expressing the codA gene for bacterial choline oxidase. Plant Mol. Biol., 40, 279–288. , , , , , &
- 1949 Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol., 24, 1–5.
- 1995 Transformation of Synechococcus with a gene for choline oxidase enhances tolerance to salt stress. Plant Mol. Biol., 29, 897–907. , , , &
- 1978 Photosynthesis by isolated protoplasts, protoplast extracts and chloroplasts of wheat. Influence of orthophosphate, pyrophosphate and adenylates. Plant Physiol., 62, 313–317. , , &
- 1995 Betaines in higher plants – biosynthesis and role in stress metabolism. In: Amino Acids and Their Derivatives in Higher Plants (Wallsgrove, R.M., ed. ). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 171–203.
- 1997 Transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana with the codA gene for choline oxidase; accumulation of glycinebetaine and enhanced tolerance to salt and cold stress. Plant J., 12, 133–142. , , , &
- 1998 Enhanced germination under high-salt conditions of seeds of transgenic Arabidopsis with a bacterial gene (codA) for choline oxidase. J. Plant Res., 111, 357–362. , , , &
- 1977 Purification and characterization of choline oxidase from Arthrobacter globiformis. J. Biochem., 82, 1741–1749. , , &
- 1998 Arabidopsis CBF1 overexpression induces COR genes and enhances freezing tolerance. Science, 280, 104–106. , , , &
- 1998 Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain, separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively. In: Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 10, 1391–1406. , , , , , &
- 1998 The endogenous choline supply limits glycine betaine synthesis in transgenic tobacco expressing choline monooxygenase. Plant J., 16, 487–496. , , , , &
- 1995 The unusually strong stabilizing effects of glycinebetaine on the structure and function in the oxygen-evolving photosystem II complex. Photosynth. Res., 44, 243–252. &
- 1993 Quaternary ammonium and tertiary sulfonium compounds in higher plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 44, 357–384. &
- 1987 Determination of betaines by fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry. Plant Physiol., 84, 781–788. , , , &
- 1986 Accumulation of glycinebetaine in chloroplasts provides osmotic adjustment during salt stress. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 13, 659–668. &
- 1998 Metabolic engineering of rice leading to biosynthesis of glycinebetaine and tolerance to salt and cold. Plant Mol. Biol., 38, 1011–1019. &
- 2000 Genetic engineering of glycinebetaine synthesis in plants: current status and implications for enhancement of stress tolerance. J. Exp. Bot., 51, 81–88. &
- 1986 Continuous recording of photochemical and non-photochemical chlorophyll fluorescence quenching with a new type of modulation fluorometer. Photosynth. Res., 10, 51–62. , &
- 1972 An excised leaflet test for evaluating potato frost tolerance. Hortscience, 7, 467–468. &
- 1995 Cold acclimation of Arabidopsis thaliana: effect on plasma membrane lipid composition and freeze-induced lesions. Plant Physiol., 109, 15–30. , &
- 1981 Betaines. in the Physiology and Biochemistry of Drought Resistance in Plants (Paleg, L.G. & Aspinal, D., eds). New York. Academic Press, pp. 171–204. &