Expression of Brassica juncea 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA synthase is developmentally regulated and stress-responsive
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 415–426, June 2000
How to Cite
Alex, D., Bach, T. J. and Chye, M.-L. (2000), Expression of Brassica juncea 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA synthase is developmentally regulated and stress-responsive. The Plant Journal, 22: 415–426. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.2000.00751.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 22 November 1999; revised 9 March 2000; accepted 17 March 2000.
- 1991 Aspects related to 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthesis in higher plants. Biochem. Soc. Trans., 19, 164S. , , &
- 1995 Some new aspects of isoprenoid biosynthesis in plants – a review. Lipids, 30, 191–202.
- 1983 Inhibition by mevinolin of plant growth, sterol formation and pigment accumulation. Physiol. Plant., 59, 50–60. &
- 1984 Application of modified Lineweaver–Burke plots to studies of kinetics and regulation of radish 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 794, 152–161. &
- 1976 Assay of proteins in the presence of interfering materials. Anal. Biochem., 70, 241–250. &
- 1976 A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein–dye binding. Anal. Biochem., 72, 248–254.
- 1979 Regulation of microsomal 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase from pea seedlings: rapid posttranslational phytochrome-mediated decrease in activity and in vivo regulation by isoprenoid products. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 198, 323–334. &
- 1994 The identification of potential aeroallergen/irritant (s) from oilseed rape (Brassica napus spp. oleifera): volatile organic compounds emitted during flowering progression. Clin. Exp. Allergy, 24, 1105–1114. , , &
- 1995 Biochemistry and molecular biology of the isoprenoid biosynthetic pathway in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 46, 521–547.
- 1992 Differential induction and suppression of potato 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase genes in response to Phytophthora infestans and to its elicitor arachidonic acid. Plant Cell, 4, 1333–1344. , &
- 1991 Characterization of cDNA and genomic clones encoding 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase from Hevea brasiliensis. Plant Mol Biol., 16, 567–577. , , &
- 1992 Three genes encode 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase in Hevea brasiliensis: hmg1 and hmg3 are differentially expressed. Plant Mol. Biol., 16, 567–577. , &
- 1975 Intracellular localization of the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A cycle enzymes in liver: separate cytoplasmic and mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A generating systems for cholesterolgenesis and ketogenesis. J. Biol. Chem., 250, 3108–3116. , , &
- 1996 Further progress towards a catalogue of all Arabidopsis genes: analysis of a set of 5000 non-redundant ESTs. Plant J., 9, 101–124. , , et al.
- 1997 Metabolic control of avocado fruit growth. Isoprenoid growth regulators and the reaction catalyzed by 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase. Plant Physiol., 114, 511–518. , , &
- 1983 A plant DNA mini-preparation, version II. Plant Mol. Biol. Report, 1, 19–21. , &
- 1998 The promoter of a gene encoding a polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein of Phaseolus vulgaris L. is activated by wounding but not by elicitors or pathogen infection. Planta, 205, 165–174. , , , &
- 1991 Interaction of Xanthomonas campestris and Brassica: genetic and biochemical aspects in the plant response. In: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plant–Pathogen Interactions (Smith, C.J., ed. ). Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 163–176. , , , , &
- 1994 Arabidopsis thaliana contains two differentially expressed 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase genes, which encode microsomal forms of the enzyme. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 927–931. , , , , &
- 1995 Expression of the Arabidopsis HMG2 gene, encoding 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, is restricted to meristematic and floral tissues. Plant Cell, 7, 517–527. , , &
- 1990 Expression of catalytically active radish 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase in Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett., 266, 67–71. , , , , &
- 1986 Cytoplasmic 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase from the hamster: I. Isolation and sequencing of a full-length complementary DNA. J. Biol. Chem., 261, 3710–3716. , , &
- 1992 Regulatory role of microsomal 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase in a tobacco mutant that overproduces sterols. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 186, 888–893. , , , &
- 1987 Control of isoprenoid biosynthesis in higher plants. Adv. Bot. Res., 14, 25–91.
- 1987 Inhibition of hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A synthase by L-659,699. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 84, 7488–7492. , , et al.
- 1980 Steroids. In: Secondary Plant Products (Bell, E.A. & Charlwood, B.V., eds). Berlin: Springer Verlag, pp. 221–256.
- 1998 Effects of mevinolin on cell cycle progression and viability of tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant J., 14, 65–74. &
- 1999 Regulation of tomato HMG1 during cell proliferation and growth. Planta, 208, 310–318. , , &
- 1995 Molecular cloning and sequencing of the hcs gene, which encodes 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast, 11, 1533–1537. , , , , &
- 1992 The effect of water stress on the germination and nitrate reductase activity in imbibing Agrostemma githago seeds. J. Plant Physiol., 139, 528–532. , &
- 1997 HMG-CoA reductase gene families that differentially accumulate transcripts in potato tubers are developmentally expressed in floral tissues. Plant Mol. Biol., 33, 545–551. , , &
- Laemmli, U.K. 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680–685.
- 1998 Regulatory role of microsomal 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase for shikonin biosynthesis in Lithospermum erythrorhizon cell suspension cultures. Planta, 204, 234–241. , , &
- 1996 Light suppresses 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol., 110, 645–655.
- 1997 Light modulates the spatial patterns of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J., 11, 499–511. &
- 1987 Selection of AUG initiation codons differs in plants and animals. EMBO J., 6, 43–48. , , , , &
- 1997 Molecular characterization of three differentially expressed members of the Camptotheca acuminata 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA reductase (HMGR) gene family. Plant Mol. Biol., 34, 781–790. , &
- 1993 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme-A synthase from Blattella germanica. Cloning, expression, developmental pattern and tissue expression. Eur. J. Biochem., 217, 691–699. , , , &
- 1986 Regulation of rat liver 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase and the chromosomal localization of the human gene. J. Biol. Chem., 261, 16249–16255. , , et al.
- 1996 Evidence for the interaction of avian 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase histidine 264 with acetoacetyl-CoA. Biochemistry, 35, 9610–9616. &
- 1993 Avian 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase. Characterization of a recombinant cholesterogenic isozyme and demonstration of the requirement for a sulfhydryl functionality in formation of the acetyl-enzyme reaction intermediate. J. Biol. Chem., 268, 12129–12135. , &
- 1985 Amino acid sequence of an active site peptide of avian liver mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase. J. Biol. Chem., 260, 13513–13516. &
- 1984 Phytochrome and chloroplast development. In: Chloroplast Biogenesis (Baker, N.R. & Barber, J., eds). Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers, pp. 305–347.
- 1995 Isolation and characterization of a cDNA encoding Arabidopsis thaliana 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A synthase. Gene, 167, 197–201. , , &
- 1994 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase activity in the endosperm of maize vivipary mutants. Plant Physiol., 105, 119–125. &
- 1962 A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant, 15, 473–497. &
- 1988 Analysis of gene expression in transgenic plants. In: Plant Molecular Biology Manual (Gelvin, S.B. & Schilperoort, R.A., eds). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. B4:1–29. , &
- 1989 Tomato hydroxy-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase is required early in fruit development but not during ripening. Plant Cell, 1, 181–190. &
- 1994 Isolation of a monocot 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene that is elicitor-inducible. Plant Mol. Biol., 25, 401–412. , , &
- 1985 Induction of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase in potato tubers after slicing, fungal infection or chemical treatment and some properties of the enzyme. Plant Cell Physiol., 26, 873–880. , , &
- 1992 Isolation and sequence analysis of a cDNA clone encoding ethylene-forming enzyme in Brassica juncea (L.) Czern & Coss. Plant Mol. Biol., 19, 541–544. , &
- 1998 Jasmonate and salicylate as global signals for defense gene expression. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol., 1, 404–411. &
- 1999a A mevalonate-independent route to isopentenyl diphosphate. In: Comprehensive Natural Products Chemistry, Vol. 2 (Barton, D. & Nakanishi, K., eds). Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Ltd, pp. 45–67.
- 1999b The discovery of a mevalonate-independent pathway for isoprenoid biosynthesis in bacteria, algae and higher plants. Nat. Prod. Report, 16, 565–574.
- 1993 Interactive effects of ozone and powdery mildew on pea seedlings. Phytopathology, 83, 1258–1263. &
- 1992 Amplification and direct sequencing of a cDNA encoding human cytosolic 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A synthase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1132, 329–331. , , , &
- 1982 Regulation of cytosolic HMG-CoA reductase activity in pea seedlings: contrasting responses to different hormones, and hormone–product interaction, suggest hormonal modulation of activity. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 104, 1537–1543. &
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , &
- 1995 Expression of the Hevea brasiliensis (H.B.K.) Mull. Arg. 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase 1 in tobacco results in sterol overproduction. Plant Physiol., 109, 761–770. , , , , , &
- 1987 Involvement of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase in the regulation of sesquiterpenoid phytoalexin synthesis in potato. Plant Physiol., 84, 404–408. &
- 1987 F244 specifically inhibits 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 922, 351–356. , , &
- 1994a Enzymes involved in the metabolism of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A in Catharanthus roseus. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture, 38, 345–349. , , &
- 1994b Biosynthesis of 3S-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A in Catharanthus roseus: acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase and HMG-CoA synthase show similar chromatographic behaviour. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 32, 807–812. , &
- 1996 Cloning of a cDNA encoding cytosolic acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase from radish by functional expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Plant Physiol., 111, 1097–1107. &
- 1994 Two radish genes for 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase isozymes complement mevalonate auxotrophy in a yeast mutant and yield membrane-bound active enzyme. J. Plant Physiol., 143, 479–487. , , , &
- 1988 Identification of the site of acetyl-S-enzyme formation on avian liver mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzymeA synthase. Biochemistry, 27, 4288–4292. , &
- 1996 Phytohormone-regulated β-amylase gene expression in rice. Plant Mol. Biol., 31, 975–982. , , &
- 1993 Partial purification and characterization of membrane-associated 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A lyase from radish seedlings. Z. Naturforsch., 48c, 444–450. &
- 1997 Molecular cloning of ozone-inducible protein from Pinus sylvestris L. with high sequence similarity to vertebrate 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA-synthase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1350, 247–252. , , , , &
- 1995 HMG-CoA reductase and terpenoid phytoalexins: molecular specialization within a complex pathway. Physiol. Plant., 93, 393–400. , , , , , &
- 1982 Plastid 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase has distinctive kinetic and regulatory features: properties of the enzyme and positive phytochrome control of activity in pea seedlings. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 216, 631–638. , &
- 1993 Systemic induction of a potato pin2 promoter by wounding, methyl jasmonate, and abscisic acid in transgenic rice plants. Plant Mol. Biol., 22, 573–588. , , &
- 1991 Differential activation of potato 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase genes by wounding and pathogen challenge. Plant Cell, 3, 397–405. , , &
- 1985 Improved M13 phage cloning vectors and host strains: nucleotide sequences of the M13mp18 and pUC19 vectors. Gene, 33, 103–119. , &
- 1999 Methyl jasmonate induces expression of a novel Brassica juncea chitinase with two chitin-binding domains. Plant Mol. Biol., 40, 1009–1018. &