Endomycorrhizae and rhizobial Nod factors both require SYM8 to induce the expression of the early nodulin genes PsENOD5 and PsENOD12A
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 15, Issue 5, pages 605–614, September 1998
How to Cite
Albrecht, C., Geurts, R., Lapeyrie, F. and Bisseling, T. (1998), Endomycorrhizae and rhizobial Nod factors both require SYM8 to induce the expression of the early nodulin genes PsENOD5 and PsENOD12A. The Plant Journal, 15: 605–614. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00228.x
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 8 December 1997; revised 12 June 1998; accepted 12 June 1998.
- 1994 Pisum sativum mutants insensitive to nodulation are also insensitive to invasion in vitro by the mycorrhizal fungus, Gigaspora margarita. Plant Sci., 102, 195–203. , , , &
- 1996 Nod factors and cytokinin induce similar cortical cell division, amyloplast deposition and MsENOD12A expression patterns in alfalfa roots. Plant J., 10, 91–105. , , , &
- 1994 Identification of symbiotic genes in pea (Pisum sativum L.) by means of experimental mutagenesis. Genetika, 30, 1484–1494. , , , , , , &
- 1991 Interaction between three alfalfa nodulation genotypes and two Glomus species. New Phytol., 119, 115–120. , &
- 1992 The early nodulin gene SrEnod2 from Sesbania rostrata is inducible by cytokinin. Plant J., 2, 117–128. &
- 1996 Rhizobium lipo-chitooligosaccharide nodulation factors: signaling molecules mediating recognition and morphogenesis. Annu. Rev. Biochem., 65, 503–535. , &
- 1989 First report of non-mycorrhizal plant mutants (Myc–) obtained in pea (Pisum sativum) and Faba bean (Vicia faba L.). Plant Sci., 60, 215–222. , , &
- 1997 The Vicia faba leghemoglobin gene VfLb29 is induced in root nodules and in roots colonized by the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus fasciculatum. Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 10, 124–131. , , , &
- 1963 Spores of mycorrhizal endogone species extracted from soil by wet sieving and decanting. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc., 46, 235–244. &
- 1996 Plant cell responses to arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: getting to the roots of symbiosis. Plant Cell, 8, 1871–1883.
- 1991 Genetic and cellular analysis of resistance to vesicular arbuscular (VA) mycorrhizal fungi in pea mutants. In: Advances in Molecular Genetics of Plant–Microbe Interactions ( Hennecke, H. & Verma, D.P.S., eds.). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 336–342. , , , &
- 1993 Cellular localization and cytochemical probing of resistance reactions to arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a ‘locus a’ mutant of Pisum sativum L. Planta, 191, 112–122. , , , , &
- 1997 Nod factor-induced expression of leghemoglobin to study the mechanism of NH4NO3 inhibition on root hair deformation. Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 10, 215–220. , , , &
- 1993 Lipo-oligosaccharides of Rhizobium induce infection-related early nodulin gene expression in pea root hairs. Plant J., 4, 727–733. , , , , , , &
- 1979 Strain identification in Rhizobium using intrinsic antibiotic resistance. J. Appl. Bacteriol., 46, 343–350. , , &
- 1994 Rhizobium meliloti Nod factors elicit cell-specific transcription of the ENOD12 gene in transgenic alfalfa. Plant J., 6, 241–249. , , , , &
- 1994 Non-nodulating mutants of Pisum sativum (L.) cv. Sparkle. J. Hered., 85, 129–133. , &
- 1960 Somatic antigens of Rhizobium japonicum. Soil Sci., 91, 228–232. &
- 1992 The symbiosis genes of pea. Pisum Genet. Newsletter, 24, 5–12. &
- 1994 The symbiosis genes of the host . In Proceedings of the First European Nitrogen Fixation Conference ( Kiss, G.B. & Endre, G., eds.). Szeged, Hungary: Officina Press, pp. 147–151. &
- 1996 Rhizobium symbiosis: Nod factors in perspective. Plant Cell, 8, 1885–1898.
- 1992 Phenotypic characterization of sym8 and sym9, two genes conditioning non-nodulation in Pisum sativum‘Sparkle’. Can. J. Microbiol., 38, 548–554. &
- 1996 Expression of the early nodulin, ENOD40, in soybean roots in response to various lipo-chitin signal molecules. Plant J., 10, 23–32. , , , &
- 1994 Isolation of total, poly (A) and polysomal RNA from plant tissues. Plant Molecular Biology Manual ( Gelvin, S.B. & Schilperoort, R.A., eds.). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 1–13. , , &
- 1970 Improved procedure for clearing roots and staining parasitic and vesicular–arbuscular fungi for rapid assessment of infection. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc., 55, 158–161. &
- 1989 Geological history of the Glomaceae with particular reference to mycorrhizal symbiosis. Symbiosis, 7, 1–36. &
- 1988 Three pea mutants with an altered nodulation studied by genetic analysis and grafting. J. Plant Physiol., 132, 424–430. , &
- 1995 Selection of nodulation and mycorrhizal mutants in the model plant Medicago truncatula (Gaertn.) after γ-ray mutagenesis. Plant Sci., 111, 63–71. , , &
- 1990a The ENOD12 gene product is involved in the infection process during pea–Rhizobium interaction. Cell, 60, 281–294. , , et al.
- 1990b Sequential induction of nodulin gene expression in the developing pea nodule. Plant Cell, 2, 687–700. , , , , &
- 1997 Chitin oligosaccharides can induce cortical cell division in roots of Vicia sativa when delivered by ballistic microtargeting. Development, 124, 4887–4895. , , , , , , , &
- 1996 A nodulation (nod+/Fix–) mutant of Phaseolus vulgaris L. has nodule-like structures lacking peripheral vascular bundles (Pvb–) and is resistant to mycorrhizal infection (Myc–). Plant Sci., 118, 209–220. &
- 1993 Origin and diversification of endomycorrhizal fungi and coincidence with vascular land plants. Nature, 363, 67–69. , , &
- 1996 Regulation of plant morphogenesis by lipo-chitin oligosaccharides. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci., 15, 559–582.
- 1990 The early nodulin transcript ENOD2 is located in the nodule parenchyma (inner cortex) of pea and soybean root nodules. EMBO J., 9, 1–7. , , , , , &
- 1997 Expression of early nodulin genes in alfalfa mycorrhizae indicates that signal transduction pathways used in forming arbuscular mycorrhizae and Rhizobium-induced nodules may be conserved. Proceedings Natl Acad Sci. USA, 94, 5467–5472. , , et al.
- 1995 VsENOD5, VsENOD12 and VsENOD40 expression during Rhizobium induced nodule formation on Vicia sativa roots. Plant Mol. Biol., 28, 1111–1119. , , , , &
- 1978 Geotropism in the endomycorrhizal fungus Gigaspora margarita. Mycologia, 70, 449–452. , &
- 1990 Genetic analysis of sym genes and other nodule-related genes in Pisum sativum. In: Nitrogen Fixation: Achievements and Objectives (Gresshoff, P.M., Ed.). New York/ London: Chapman & Hall, pp. 323–330. , &