The control of source to sink carbon flux during tuber development in potato
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
The Plant Journal
Volume 15, Issue 5, pages 697–706, September 1998
How to Cite
Sweetlove, L. J., Kossmann, J., Riesmeier, J. W., Trethewey, R. N. and Hill, S. A. (1998), The control of source to sink carbon flux during tuber development in potato. The Plant Journal, 15: 697–706. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00247.x
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- Received 17 April 1998; revised 1 July 1998; accepted 2 July 1998.
- 1990 A ‘top-down’ approach to the determination of control coefficients in metabolic control theory. Eur. J. Biochem., 188, 321–325. , &
- 1976 Effect of carbon dioxide enrichment on growth of the potato plant. Hort. Sci., 11, 467–469.
- 1986a Allocation of photosynthate to individual tubers of Solanum tuberosum L. I. Relationship between tuber growth rate and enzyme activities of the starch metabolism. J. Exp. Bot., 37, 1795–1803. &
- 1986b Allocation of photosynthate to individual tubers of Solanum tuberosum L. III. Relationship between growth rate of individual tubers, tuber weight and stolon growth prior to tuber initiation. J. Exp. Bot., 37, 1813–1822. &
- 1990 Lack of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in a range of higher plants that store starch. Biochem. J., 271, 467–472. &
- 1992 The whole plant: carbon partitioning during development. In Carbon Partitioning Within and Between Organisms ( Pollock, C.J. Farrar, J.F. & Gordon, A.J., eds.). Oxford: Bios Scientific Publishers, pp. 163–179.
- 1993 Sink strength – what is it and how do we measure it – introduction. Plant Cell Environ., 16, 1015–1015.
- 1996 Sinks – integral parts of a whole plant. J. Exp. Bot., 47, 1273–1279.
- 1991 Carbon partitioning in split root systems of barley: relation to metabolism. J. Exp. Bot., 42, 1261–1269. &
- 1995 Carbon import into barley roots: effects of sugars and relation to cell expansion. J. Exp. Bot., 46, 1859–1865. , &
- 1997Understanding the Control of Metabolism. London: Portland Press.
- 1989 Structure and function of leaf minor veins in trees and herbs. A taxonomic review. Trees, 3, 96–110.
- 1990 Analysis of the control of respiration rate, phosphorylation rate, proton leak rate and protonmotive force in isolated mitochondria using the ‘top-down’ approach of metabolic control theory. Eur. J. Biochem., 188, 313–319. , &
- 1992 Apoplastic expression of yeast-derived invertase in potato. Effects on photosynthesis, leaf solute composition, water relations, and tuber composition. Plant Physiol., 100, 301–308. , , , , , , , &
- 1996 Manipulating metabolic partitioning in transgenic plants. Trends Biotech., 14, 198–205. &
- 1994 Sugar sensing in higher plants. Plant Cell, 6, 1665–1679. &
- 1993 Sink strength: soluble starch synthase as a measure of sink strength in wheat endosperm. Plant Cell Environ., 16, 1023–1024. &
- 1994 Reduction of the chloroplastic fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in transgenic potato plants impairs photosynthesis and plant-growth. Plant J., 6, 637–650. , &
- 1993 Regulation of the expression of rbcS and other photosynthetic genes by carbohydrates – a mechanism for the sink regulation of photosynthesis. Plant J., 3, 817–828. , , &
- 1996 Companion cell-specific inhibition of the potato sucrose transporter SUT1. Plant Cell Environ., 19, 1115–1123. , , , , &
- 1993 Sink strength: established and regulated by plant growth regulators. Plant Cell Environ., 16, 1025–1026.
- 1995 Subcellular volumes and metabolite concentrations in potato (Solanum tuberosum cv Desiree) leaves. Bot. Acta, 108, 439–444. , , , &
- 1996 Antisense inhibition of the sucrose transporter in potato: effects on amount and activity. Plant Cell Environ., 19, 1124–1131. , , , &
- 1995 Further-studies of the phloem loading process in leaves of barley and spinach – the comparison of metabolite concentrations in the apoplastic compartment with those in the cytosolic compartment and in the sieve tubes. Bot. Acta, 108, 270–275. , , &
- 1995 Ozone detoxification in the apoplasm and symplasm of spinach, broad bean and beech leaves at ambient and elevated concentrations of ozone in air. Planta, 197, 448–455. &
- 1996 Sink strength as a determinant of dry matter partitioning in the whole plant. J. Exp. Bot., 47, 1281–1291.
- 1993 Changes of carbohydrates, metabolites and enzyme activities in potato tubers during development, and within a single tuber along a stolon-apex gradient. J. Plant Physiol., 142, 392–402. , , &
- 1994 Partitioning of carbon in split root systems of barley: effect of temperature of the root. J. Exp. Bot., 45, 1103–1109. , &
- 1992 Inhibition of the ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in transgenic potatoes leads to sugar-storing tubers and influences tuber formation and expression of tuber storage protein genes. EMBO J., 11, 1229–1238. , &
- 1989 Fluoride leads to an increase of inorganic pyrophosphate and an inhibition of photosynthetic sucrose synthesis in spinach leaves. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 973, 263–271. , , &
- 1993 Potato sucrose transporter expression in minor veins indicates a role in phloem loading. Plant Cell, 5, 1591–1598. , &
- 1994 Evidence for an essential role of the sucrose transporter in phloem loading and assimilate partitioning. EMBO J., 13, 1–7. , &
- 1990 Expression of a yeast-derived invertase in the cell-wall of tobacco and Arabidopsis plants leads to accumulation of carbohydrate and inhibition of photosynthesis and strongly influences growth and phenotype of transgenic tobacco plants. EMBO J., 9, 3033–3044. , , , &
- 1990 Metabolic control analysis. Sensitivity of control coefficients to elasticities. Eur. J. Biochem., 191, 413–420. &
- 1991 Transgenic tobacco plants expressing yeast-derived invertase in either the cytosol, vacuole or apoplast: a powerful tool for studying sucrose metabolism and sink source interactions. Plant J., 1, 95–106. , , , &
- 1997 Increased potato tuber size resulting from apoplastic expression of a yeast invertase. Nature Biotech., 15, 794–797. , , , , &
- 1993 Sink strength – integrated systems need integrating approaches. Plant Cell Environ., 16, 1041–1043.
- 1995 Regulation of metabolism in transgenic plants. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 46, 341–368. &
- 1989 Identification of actively filling sucrose sinks. Plant Physiol., 89, 1117–1121. , &
- 1996a Characterization of transgenic potato (Solanum tuberosum) tubers with increased ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase. Biochem. J., 320, 487–492. , &
- 1996b Starch metabolism in tubers of transgenic potato (Solanum tuberosum) with increased ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase. Biochem. J., 320, 493–498. , &
- 1993 Apoplastic sugar concentration and pH in barley leaves infected with brown rust. J. Exp. Bot., 44, 929–936. &
- 1993 Strategies of phloem loading. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 44, 253–281.
- 1990 The control of carbon partitioning in plants. New Phytol., 116, 341–381.
- 1991 Carbon dioxide effects on potato growth under different photoperiods and irradiance. Crop Sci., 31, 1209–1213. , &
- 1988 Modeling the effects of light, carbon dioxide and temperature on the growth of potato. Crop Sci., 28, 811–818. , , &
- 1996 Reduction of the cytosolic fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in transgenic potato plants limits photosynthetic sucrose biosynthesis with no impact on plant growth and tuber yield. Plant J., 9, 671–681. , , &