Cytosolic acidification but not auxin at physiological concentration is an activator of MAP kinases in tobacco cells
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 173–182, October 1998
How to Cite
Tena, G. and Renaudin, J.-P. (1998), Cytosolic acidification but not auxin at physiological concentration is an activator of MAP kinases in tobacco cells. The Plant Journal, 16: 173–182. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00283.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 5 June 1998; accepted 25 August 1998.
- 1996 Early genes and auxin action. Plant Physiol., 111, 9 17. &
- 1993 NPK1, a tobacco gene that encodes a protein with a domain homologous to yeast BCK1, STE11, and Byr2 protein kinases. Mol. Cell. Biol., 13, 4745 4752. , , , , , ,
- 1996 Signalling in the yeast pheromone response pathway: Specific and high–affinity interaction of the mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases Kss1 and Fus3 with the upstream MAP kinase kinase Ste7. Mol. Cell. Biol., 16, 3637 3650. , , , ,
- 1994 Diversity in function and regulation of MAP kinase pathways. TIBS, 19, 236 240. &
- 1996 Mechanosensors in plants. Nature, 383, 489 490. , , ,
- 1997 Wounding induces the rapid and transient activation of a specific MAP kinase pathway. Plant Cell, 9, 75 83. , , , , , ,
- 1976 A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizating the principle of protein binding. Anal. Biochem., 72, 248 254.
- 1996 The ethylene signal transduction pathway in Arabidopsis: an emerging paradigm? TIBS, 21, 129 133.
- 1997 Auxin–cytokinin interactions in higher plants: old problems and new tools. Trends. Plant Sci., 2, 351 356. &
- 1994 MAPKs: new KNK expands the group. TIBS, 19, 470 473.
- 1996 Comparison of mechanisms controlling uptake and accumulation of 2,4-dichlorophenoxy acetic acid, naphthalene-1-acetic acid, and indole-3-acetic acid in suspension-cultured tobacco cells. Planta, 198, 532 541. , , ,
- 1996 Control. of cytoplasmic pH under anoxic conditions and its implication for plasma membrane proton transport in Medicago sativa root hairs. J. Exp. Bot., 47, 967 973.
- 1990 Microtubule-associated protein (MAP) kinase activated by nerve growth factor and epidermal growth factor in PC12 cells. Identity with the mitogen-activated MAP kinase of fibroblastic cells. Eur. J. Biochem., 193, 661 669. , , , , ,
- 1994 The mitogen activated protein kinase signal transduction pathway: from the cell surface to the nucleus. Cellular Signalling, 6, 581 589.
- 1986 Cytoplasmic pH regulation in Acer pseudoplatanus cells. I. A 31P NMR description of acid-load effects. Plant Physiol., 82, 840 845. , , , , ,
- 1995 MAP kinase pathways in yeast: For mating and more. Cell, 80, 187 197.
- 1995 Transcriptional regulation by extracellular signals: Mechanisms and specificity. Cell, 80, 199 211. &
- 1997 Multiple roles of MAP kinases in plant signal transduction. Trends Plant Sci., 2, 11 15.
- 1995 Gibberellin-regulated expression in oat aleurone cells of two kinases that show homology to MAP kinase and a ribosomal protein kinase. Plant Mol. Biol., 27, 1043 1052. &
- 1993 Isolation of cDNA of an auxin-regulated gene encoding a G-protein β subunit-like protein from tobacco BY-2 cells. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 90, 11152 11156. , ,
- 1996 Stress signalling in plants: a mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway is activated by cold and drought. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 93, 11274 11279. , , , , ,
- 1993 CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the Raf family of protein kinases. Cell, 72, 427 441. , , , ,
- 1996 Abscisic acid induces mitogen-activated protein kinase activation in barley aleurone protoplasts. Plant Cell, 8, 1061 1067. , , ,
- 1996 Multiple roles of the mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase/mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade in Xenopus laevis. Dev. Growth Differentiation, 38, 577 582. , ,
- 1989 Intracellular pH measurement and importance in cell activity. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol., 40, 271 303. &
- 1997 Receptor-mediated activation of a MAP kinase in pathogen defense of plants. Science, 276, 2054 2057. , , , ,
- 1988 Regulation of intracellular pH in eukaryotic cells. Biochem. J., 250, 1 8.
- 1996 Cytoplasmic acidification as an early phosphorylation-dependent response of tobacco cells to elicitors. Planta, 199, 416 424. , , , ,
- 1994 Characterization of two cDNAs that encode MAP kinase homologues in Arabidopsis thaliana and analysis of the possible role of auxin in activating such kinase activities in cultured cells. Plant J., 5, 111 122. , , , , , , ,
- 1993 ATMPKs: a gene family of plant MAP kinases in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett., 336, 440 444. , , , ,
- 1997 Environmental stress response in plants: The role of mitogen-activated protein kinases. Trends Biotech., 15, 15 19. , ,
- 1996 A gene encoding a mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase is induced simultaneously with genes for a mitogen-activated protein kinase and an S6 ribosomal protein kinase by touch, cold, and water stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 93, 765 769. , , , , , ,
- 1992 Tobacco BY-2 Cell Line as the HeLa Cell in the Cell Biology of Higher Plants. Int. Rev. Cytol., 132, 1 30. , ,
- 1995 Auxin action and auxin-binding proteins. New Phytol., 129, 167 201. &
- 1995 Plant homologues of components of MAPK (mitogen-activated protein kinase) signal pathways in yeast and animal cells. Plant Cell Physiol., 36, 749 757. , , , , , ,
- 1993 Networking with mitogen-activated protein kinases. Mol. Cell Biochem., 127/128, 157 169. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996 Yeast HOG1 MAP kinase cascade is regulated by a multistep phosphorelay mechanism in the SLN1-YPD1-SSK1 “two-component” osmosensor. Cell, 86, 865 875. , , , , ,
- 1996 G protein-coupled receptors and signalling pathways regulating growth responses. FASEB J., 10, 741 749. &
- 1996 Multiple A-type cyclins express sequentially during the cell cycle in Nicotiana tabacum BY2 cells. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 93, 13819 13824. , , , ,
- 1997 Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., 9, 180 186. &
- 1989Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring, Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 1995 Protein kinases.7. The MAPK signaling cascade. FASEB J., 9, 726 735. &
- 1995 Tobacco MAP kinase: a possible mediator in wound signal transduction pathways. Science, 270, 1988 92. , , , , ,
- 1995 A tobacco protein kinase, NPK2, has a domain homologous to a domain found in activators of mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKKs). Mol. Gen. Genet., 246, 401 410. , , , , , , ,
- 1995 Transient activation and tyrosine phosphorylation of a protein kinase in tobacco cells treated with a fungal elicitor. Plant Cell, 7, 639 647. &
- 1996 Intracellular acidification mediates the proliferative response of PC12 cells induced by potassium ferricyanide and involves map kinase activation. Int. J. Cancer, 68, 547 552. , , ,
- 1996 A thiol protease and an anionic peroxidase are induced by lowering cytokinins during callus growth in Petunia. Plant Physiol., 111, 159 168. , , , , ,
- 1995 Cutting activates a 46-kilodalton protein kinase in plants. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 92, 8660 8664. , , , ,
- 1996 Genetic dissection of auxin action: More questions than answers. Trends Plant Sci., 1, 335 339. &
- 1995 Molecular cloning, functional expression in Escherichia coli, and characterization of multiple mitogen-activated-protein kinases from tobacco. Eur. J. Biochem., 233, 249 257. , , ,
- 1993 Isolation and characterization of a tobacco cDNA clone encoding a putative MAP kinase. Plant Mol. Biol., 23, 543 551. , , , ,
- 1997 A developmentally regulated MAP kinase activated by hydration in tobacco pollen. Plant Cell, 9, 2093 2100. , , , ,
- 1991 Promoters of auxin-induced genes from tobacco can lead to auxin-inducible and root tip-specific expression. Plant Mol. Biol., 16, 983 998. , , , , , ,
- 1998 Activation of the tobacco SIP kinase by both a cell wall derived carbohydrate elicitor and purified proteinaceous elicitins from Phytophthora spp. Plant Cell, 10, 435 449. , ,
- 1997 Salicylic acid activates a 48-kD MAP kinase in tobacco. Plant Cell, 9, 809 824. &