Changes in the cytoskeleton accompanying infection-induced nuclear movements and the hypersensitive response in plant cells invaded by rust fungi
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 191–200, October 1998
How to Cite
Skalamera, D. and Heath, M. C. (1998), Changes in the cytoskeleton accompanying infection-induced nuclear movements and the hypersensitive response in plant cells invaded by rust fungi. The Plant Journal, 16: 191–200. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00285.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 30 June 1998; revised 24 August 1998; accepted 27 August 1998.
- 1995 Rapid reorganization of microtubular cytoskeleton accompanies early changes in nuclear ploidy and chromatin structure in postmitotic cells of barley leaves infected with powdery mildew. Protoplasma, 185, 140 151. , , , ,
- 1996 The hypersensitive reaction, membrane damage and accumulation of autofluorescent phenolics in lettuce cells challenged by Bremia lactucae. Plant J., 9, 851 865. , , , , , ,
- 1993 Translocation of cytoplasm and nucleus to fungal penetration sites is associated with depolymerization of microtubules and defence gene activation in infected cultured parsley cells. EMBO J., 12, 1735 1744. , , ,
- 1983 Inhibition of the hypersensitive reaction in barley to powdery mildew by heat shock and cytochalasin B. Physiol. Plant Pathol., 23, 421 438. &
- 1997 Signalling between pathogenic rust fungi and resistant or susceptible host plants. Ann. Bot., 80, 713 720.
- 1998a Involvement of reactive oxygen species in the response of resistant (hypersensitive) or susceptible cowpeas to the cowpea rust fungus. New Phytol., 138, 251 263.
- 1998b Apoptosis, programmed cell death and the hypersensitive response. Eur. J. Plant Pathol., 104, 117 124.
- 1997 Cellular interactions between plants and biotrophic fungal parasites. In: Advances in Botanical Research Incorporating Advances in Plant Pathology, Vol. 24. ( Tommerup, I.C. & Andrews, J.H., eds.). London, UK: Academic Press, pp. 196 225. &
- 1997 Plant nuclear migrations as indicators of critical interactions between resistant or susceptible cowpea epidermal cells and invasion hyphae of the cowpea rust fungus. New Phytol., 135, 689 700. , ,
- 1996 Tissue specification and intracellular distribution of actin isoforms in Vicia faba L. Protoplasma, 191, 158 163. , , ,
- 1997b Dynamic reorganization of microfilaments and microtubules is necessary for the expression of non-host resistance in barley coleoptile cells. Plant J., 11, 525 537. , , , , ,
- 1994 Dynamic reorganization of microtubules and microfilaments in flax cells during the resistance response to flax rust infection. Planta, 195, 237 247. , ,
- 1997a Inhibition of rust- induced hypersensitive response in flax cells by the microtubule inhibitor oryzalin. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 24, 733 740. , ,
- 1992 Recognition of a pathogen and non pathogen by barley coleoptile cells. III. Responses of microtubules and actin filaments in barley coleoptile cells to penetration attempts. Can. J. Bot., 70, 1815 1823. , , ,
- 1997c Actin microfilaments are required for the expression of nonhost resistance in higher plants. Plant Cell Physiol., 38, 725 733. , , ,
- 1996 Interactions between the plasma membrane and the cytoskeleton in plants. In: Membranes: Specialized Functions in Plants ( Smallwood, M. Knox, J.P. & Bowels, D.J., eds.). Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, pp. 1 20. , , ,
- 1988a A comparison of the death induced by fungal invasion or toxic chemicals in cowpea epidermal cells. I. Cell death induced by heavy metal salts. Can J. Bot., 66, 613 623. &
- 1988b A comparison of the death induced by fungal invasion or toxic chemicals in cowpea epidermal cells. II. Responses induced by Erysiphe cichoracearum. Can. J. Bot., 66, 624 636. &
- 1993 Regulation of intracellular movements in plant cells by environmental stimuli. Inter. Rev. Cytol., 145, 251 310.
- 1997 Covisualization in living onion cells of putative integrin, putative spectrin, actin, putative intermediate filaments, and other proteins at the cell membrane and in an endomembrane sheath. Protoplasma, 199, 173 197. , , ,
- 1996 Cellular mechanisms of callose deposition in response to fungal infection or chemical damage. Can. J. Bot., 74, 1236 1242. &
- 1997 Callose deposition during the interaction between cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) and the monokaryotic stage of the cowpea rust fungus (Uromyces vignae). New Phytol., 136, 511 524. &
- 1989 Cortical fine actin filaments in higher plant cells visualized by rhodamine-phalloidin after pretreatment with m- maleimidobenzoyl N-hydroxysuccinimide ester. Protoplasma, 148, 80 86. &
- 1997 The plant ER: a dynamic organelle composed of a large number of discrete functional domains. Plant J., 11, 1151 1165.
- 1996 Activation of plasma membrane voltage- dependent calcium-permeable channels by disruption of microtubules in carrot cells. FEBS Lett., 393, 13 18. , , , , , ,
- 1982 Effect of cytochalasin B and colchicine on hypersensitive death of potato cells infected by incompatible race of Phytophthora infestans. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Japan, 48, 228 230. , ,
- 1996 Changes in microtubule arrays in symbiotic orchid protocorms during fungal colonization and senescence. New Phytol., 135, 701 709. , ,
- 1997 Changes in actin filament arrays in protocorm cells of the orchid species, Spiranthes sinensis, induced by the symbiotic fungus Ceratobasidium cornigerum. Can. J. Bot., 75, 1661 1669. , ,
- 1993 Organelle movements. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 44, 181 202.
- 1998 Role of calcium in signal transduction during the hypersensitive response caused by basidiospore-derived infection of the cowpea rust fungus. Plant Cell, 10, 585 597. &