Present address: Institute of Chemistry and Dynamics of the Geosphere (ICG 6), Forschungszentrum Jülich, D-52425 Jülich, Germany.
Ozone-induced oxidative burst in the ozone biomonitor plant, tobacco Bel W3
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 235 –245, October 1998
How to Cite
Schraudner, M., Moeder, W., Wiese, C., Camp, W., Inzé, D., Langebartels, C. and Sandermann, H. (1998), Ozone-induced oxidative burst in the ozone biomonitor plant, tobacco Bel W3. The Plant Journal, 16: 235 –245. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00294.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 29 May 1998;revised 10 September 1998;accepted 14 September 1998.
- 1997 Two distinct sources of elicited reactive oxygen species in tobacco epidermal cells. Plant Cell, 9, 1559 1572. &
- 1998 Reactive oxygen intermediates mediate a systemic signal network in the establishment of plant immunity. Cell, 92, 773 784. , , , , ,
- 1995 Active oxygen in plant pathogenesis. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol., 33, 299 321. &
- 1997 Expression of ACC oxidase promotor-GUS fusions in tomato and Nicotiana plumbaginifolia regulated by developmental and environmental stimuli. Plant J., 12, 731 746. &
- 1989 Polyamines as radical scavengers and protectants against ozone damage. Phytochemistry, 28, 1589 1595. , , ,
- 1992 Signals in the wounded plant. In: Pests and Pathogens. Plant Responses to Foliar Attack (Ayres, P.G., Ed.). Oxford: Bios Publishers, pp. 34 38.
- 1976 A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem., 72, 248 254.
- 1995 Detection of hydroxyl radicals upon interaction of ozone with aqueous media or extracellular surfactant: The role of trace iron. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 319, 464 469. , , , ,
- 1998 Defense activation and enhanced pathogen tolerance induced by H2O2 in transgenic tobacco. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 95, 5818 5823. , , , , , , ,
- 1996 Death don’t have no mercy: cell death programs in plant–microbe interactions. Plant Cell, 8, 1793 1807. , ,
- 1988 Involvement of an O2– generating system in the induction of necrotic lesions on tobacco leaves infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Physiol. Mol. Plant Pathol., 32, 163 175. &
- 1997 Salicylate, superoxide synthesis and cell suicide in plant defence. Trends Plant Sci., 2, 162 165.
- 1992 Ozone-induced changes of mRNA levels of β-1,3-glucanase, chitinase and ‘pathogenesis-related’ protein 1b in tobacco plants. Plant Mol. Biol., 20, 673 682. , , ,
- 1997 Hydrogen peroxide- and glutathione-associated mechanisms of acclimatory stress tolerance and signalling. Physiol. Plant., 100, 241 254. , , ,
- 1994 Alterations of plant metabolism by ozone exposure. In: Plant Responses to the Gaseous Environment ( Alscher, R.G. & Wellburn, A.R., eds.). London: Chapman & Hall, pp. 121 145.
- 1997 Physiological processes and plant responses to ozone exposure. In: Forest Decline and Ozone: a Comparison of Controlled Chamber and Field Experiments ( Sandermann, H. Wellburn, A.R & Heath, R.L., eds.). Ecological Studies, Vol. 127, Berlin: Springer, pp. 317 368. &
- 1991 Origin of Bel-W3, Bel-C and Bel-B tobacco varieties and their use as indicators of ozone. Environ. Pollut., 74, 264 291.
- 1996 Initiation of runaway cell death in an Arabidopsis mutant by extracellular superoxide. Science, 273, 1853 1856. , ,
- 1994 Plant defence systems induced by ozone. Plant Cell Environ., 17, 783 794. , , ,
- 1987 Tissue specificity of tobacco peroxidase isoenzymes and their induction by wounding and tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiol., 84, 438 442. &
- 1997 The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 48, 251 275. &
- 1991 Biochemical plant responses to ozone: I. Differential induction of polyamine and ethylene biosynthesis in tobacco. Plant Physiol., 95, 882 889. , , , , , ,
- 1992 Evaluation of the probe 2′,7′-dichlorofluorescin as an indicator of reactive oxygen species formation and oxidative stress. Chem. Res. Toxicol., 5, 227 231. , ,
- 1994 H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell, 79, 583 593. , , ,
- 1992 Ethylene-induced chitinase and β-1,3-glucanase accumulate specifically in the lower epidermis and along vascular strands of bean leaves. Planta, 186, 367 375. , ,
- 1997 The hypersensitive response and the induction of cell death in plants. Cell Death Differ., 4, 671 683. &
- 1997 Pre-activating wounding response in tobacco prior to high-level ozone exposure prevents necrotic injury. Plant J., 11, 203 212. , ,
- 1997 Ozone-induced oxidative stress: Mechanisms of action and reaction. Physiol. Plant., 100, 264 273. , ,
- 1980 A simple colorimetric method for the measurement of hydrogen peroxide produced by cells in culture. J. Immunol. Meth., 38, 161 170. &
- 1997 EPR evidence for superoxide anion formation in leaves during exposure to low levels of ozone. Plant Cell Environ., 20, 306 314. &
- 1998 Ozone: an abiotic elicitor of plant defence reactions. Trends Plant Sci., 3, 47 50. , , ,
- 1992 Biochemical responses to ozone. III. Activation of the defense-related proteins β-1,3-glucanase and chitinase in tobacco leaves. Plant Physiol., 99, 1321 1328. , , ,
- 1997 The effects of ozone on antioxidant responses in plants. Free Rad. Biol. Med., 23, 480 488. &
- 1997 Ozone formation, destruction and exposure in Europe and the United States. In: Forest Decline and Ozone: a Comparison of Controlled Chamber and Field Experiments ( Sandermann, H. Wellburn, A.R & Heath, R.L., eds.), Ecological Studies, Vol. 127, Berlin: Springer, pp. 1 38. , , , ,
- 1993 Elicitation of H2O2 production in cucumber hypocotyl segments by oligo-1,4-α- d-galacturonides and an oligo-β-glucan preparation from cell walls of Phytophthora megasperma f.sp. Glycinea. Physiol. Plant., 88, 675 681. &
- 1996 Reaktion von Streβ-Proteinen auf Ozon und UV-B Strahlung bei Tabak (Nicotiana tabacum L. cv. Bel W3 und Bel B). PhD Thesis, University of München.
- 1997 Subcellular localization of H2O2 in plants. H2O2 accumulation in papillae and hypersensitive response during the barley–powdery mildew interaction. Plant J., 11, 1187 1194. , , ,
- 1997 Ozone induction of ethylene emission in tomato plants: Regulation by differential accumulation of transcripts for the biosynthetic enzymes. Plant J., 12, 1151 1162. , , , , , ,
- 1997 Catalase is a sink for H2O2 and is indispensable for stress defense in C3 plants. EMBO J., 16, 4806 4816. , , , , , , ,
- 1994a Differential expression of catalase genes in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia L. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 10450 10454. , , , , ,
- 1994b Ozone, sulfur dioxide, and ultraviolet B have similar effects on mRNA accumulation of antioxidant genes in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia L. Plant Physiol., 106, 1007 1014. , , , , ,
- 1993 Subcellular volumes and metabolite concentrations in barley leaves. Planta, 191, 180 190. , ,