Divalent cation gating of an ammonium permeable channel in the symbiotic membrane from soybean nodules
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
The Plant Journal
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 313–324, November 1998
How to Cite
Whitehead, L. F., Day, D. A. and Tyerman, S. D. (1998), Divalent cation gating of an ammonium permeable channel in the symbiotic membrane from soybean nodules. The Plant Journal, 16: 313–324. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00298.x
- Issue published online: 2 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
- Received 3 June 1998; revised 8 September 1998; accepted 18 September 1998.
- 1969 Inactivation of the potassium conductance and related phenomena caused by quaternary ammonium ion injected in squid axon. J. Gen. Physiol., 54, 553–575.
- 1975 Ionic pores, gates and gating currents. Quart. Rev. Biophys., 7, 179–210.
- 1992 Electrical measurements of endomembranes. Science, 258, 873–874. , , et al.
- 1997 K+ sensitive gating of the K+ outward rectifier in Vicia guard cells. J. Mem. Biol., 158, 241–256. &
- 1985 Presence of host-plasma membrane type H+–ATPase in the membrane envelope enclosing the bacteroids in soybean root nodules. Plant Physiol., 78, 665–672. , , , &
- 1995 Calcium regulation in plant cells an its role in signaling. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol., 46, 95–122.
- 1995 Amino terminus and the first four membrane-spanning segments of the Arabidopsis K+ channel KAT1 confer inward-rectification property of plant-animal chimeric channels. J. Biol. Chem., 270, 17697–17701. , &
- 1989 Membrane interface of the Bradyrhizobium japonicum-Glycine max symbiosis: Peribacteroid units from soybean nodules. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 16, 69–84. , &
- 1993 Comparison of K+-channel activation and deactivation in guard cells from a dicotyledon (Vicia faba L.) and a graminaceous monocotyledon (Zea mays). Planta, 189, 410–419. &
- 1995 Strong voltage-dependent inward rectification of inward rectifier K+ channels is caused by intracellular spermine. Cell, 80, 149–154. , , , , &
- 1994 Spermine and spermidine as gating molecules for inward rectifier K channels. Science, 266, 1068–1072. , , , &
- 1995 The voltage-dependent potassium-uptake channel of corn coleoptiles has permeation properties different from other K+ channels. Planta, 197, 193–199. , , &
- 1996 Unitary cardiac Na+, Ca2+ exchange current magnitudes determined from channel-like noise and charge movements of ion transport. Biophys. J., 71, 759–768.
- 1992Ionic Channels of Excitable Membranes. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates.
- 1952 A quantitative description of membrane current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve. J. Physiol., 117, 500–544. &
- 1995 Regulation of voltage dependence of the KAT1 channel by intracellular factors. J.Gen. Physiol., 105, 309–328.
- 1986 Ammonia transport in free-living and symbiotic Rhizobium sp ANU289. J. Gen. Microbiol., 131, 1433–1440. , , &
- 1989 The Mg2+ block and intrinsic gating underlying inward rectification of the K+ current in guinea-pig cardiac myocytes. J. Physiol., 419, 297–320. , , &
- 1993 Ion permeation through the l-type Ca2+ channel in rat phaeochromocytoma cells: Two sets of ion binding sites in the pore. J. Physiol., 466, 629–655. &
- 1983 Mechanism of calcium channel blockade by verapamil, D600, diltiazem and nitrendipine in single dialysed heart cells. Nature, 302, 790–794. &
- 1994 Potassium channel block by cytoplasmic polyamines as the mechanism of intrinsic rectification. Nature, 372, 366–369. , &
- 1995 The mechanism of inward rectificaiton of potassium channels: ‘Long-pore plugging’ by cytoplasmic polyamines. J. Gen. Physiol., 106, 923–955. , &
- 1988 Open-state substructure of inwardly rectifying potassium channels revealed by magnesium block in guinea-pig heart cells. J. Physiol., 397, 237–258.
- 1991 Magnesium gating of the inwardly rectifying K+ channel. Annu. Rev. Physiol., 53, 289–298.
- 1997 Identification of a transport mechanism for NH4+ in the symbiosome membrane of pea root nodules. Plant Physiol., 115, 519–526. &
- 1995 Cloning and electrophysiological analysis of KST1, an inwardly rectifying K+ channel expressed in potato guard cells. EMBO J., 14, 2409–2416. , , , , , , , &
- 1995 Symbiotic nitrogen fixation. Plant Cell, 7, 869–885. , &
- 1997 Inward rectifier potassium channels. Annu. Rev. Physiol., 59, 171–191. &
- 1987 Improvements to the program GEOCHEM. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 51, 488–491. , &
- 1997 Characterisation of the high-affinity verapamil binding site in a plant plasma membrane Ca2+ -selective channel. J. Mem. Biol., 157, 139–145. &
- 1995 Inward and outward K+ selective channels in the plasma membrane of protoplasts from maize root cortex and stele. Plant J., 8, 811–825. &
- 1997 Ion channels in guard cells of Arabidopsis thaliana (L) Heynh. Planta, 202, 18–27. &
- 1992 Expression of an inward-rectifying potassium channel by Arabidopsis KAT1 cDNA. Science, 258, 1654–1658. , , , &
- 1989 Quantitative analysis of outward rectifying K+ channel currents in guard cell protoplasts from Vicia faba. J. Membr. Biol., 107, 229–235.
- 1995 Magnesium-independent activation of inward-rectifying K+ channels in Vicia faba guard cells. FEBS Lett., 363, 157–160.
- 1994 Perspectives on the physiology and structure of inward rectifying K+ channels in higher plants: Biophysical implications for K+ uptake. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct., 23, 441–471. , &
- 1989 Estimation of ammonium concentration in the cytosol of soybean nodules. Plant Physiol., 90, 779–782.
- 1992 Direct effects of Ca2+ -channel blockers on plasma membrane cation channels of Amaranthus tricolor protoplasts. J. Exp. Bot., 43, 1457–1473. , &
- 1994 Calcium channel antagonists induce direct inhibition of the outward rectifying potassium channel in tobacco protoplasts. FEBS Lett., 340, 45–50. , , , &
- 1993 Solubilized proteins from carrot (Daucus carota L.) membranes bind calcium channel blockers and form calcium-permeable ion channels. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci., 90, 765–769. , , &
- 1997 Fast-activating cation channel in barley mesophyll vacuoles. Inhibition by calcium. Plant J., 11, 1059–1070. , , &
- 1995 A channel-like transporter for NH4+ on the symbiotic interface of N2 fixing plants. Nature, 378, 629–632. , &
- 1989 Electrogenic ATPase activity on the peribacteroid membrane of soybean (Glycine max L.) root nodules. Plant Physiol., 90, 982–987. &
- 1997 Metabolite transport across symbiotic membranes of legume nodules. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 48, 493–523. &
- 1991 ATPase activity and anion transport across the peribacteroid membrane of isolated soybean symbiosomes. Arch. Microbiol., 156, 362–366. , &
- 1993 Hodgkin-Huxley analysis of whole-cell outward rectifying K+–currents in protoplasts from tobacco cell suspension cultures. J. Membr. Biol., 132, 77–85.
- 1994 Nodulin 26, a nodule-specific symbiosome membrane protein from soybean, is an ion channel. J. Biol. Chem., 269, 17858–17862. , , &
- 1997 The peribacteroid membrane. Physiol. Plant., 100, 30–44. &