Present address: Molecular Genetics Section, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Research Station, 107 Science Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0X2.
C6-volatiles derived from the lipoxygenase pathway induce a subset of defense-related genes
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 16, Issue 5, pages 561–569, December 1998
How to Cite
Bate, N. J. and Rothstein, S. J. (1998), C6-volatiles derived from the lipoxygenase pathway induce a subset of defense-related genes. The Plant Journal, 16: 561–569. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1998.00324.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 3 July 1998; revised 8 October 1998; accepted 13 October 1998.
- 1990 Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol., 215, 403 410. , , , ,
- 1989. Membrane-derived fatty acids as precursors to second messengers. In Second Messengers in Plant Growth and Development Volume 6 ( Boss, W.F. & Morr, D.J., eds.). New York: Alan R. Liss, Inc., pp. 181 212.
- 1987. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology. New York: Wiley. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Effect of volatile methyl jasmonate on the oxylipin pathway in tobacco, cucumber, and Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol., 109, 1227 1230. , , , , ,
- 1995 The plant response in pathogenesis, symbiosis, and wounding: variations on a common theme? Annu. Rev. Genet., 29, 107 129. &
- 1998a Quantitative and qualitative differences in C6-volatile production from the lipoxygenase pathway in an alcohol dehydrogenase mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiol. Plantarum, 104, 97 104. , , ,
- 1998b Molecular characterization of an Arabidopsis thaliana gene encoding hydroperoxide lyase, a cytochrome P-450 that is wound-inducible. Plant Physiol., 117, 1393 1400. , , , , ,
- 1995 A chloroplast lipoxygenase is required for wound-induced jasmonic acid accumulation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 92, 8675 8679. , ,
- 1991 Lipoxygenase gene expression is modulated in plants by water deficit, wounding and methyl jasmonate. Mol. Gen. Genet., 230, 456 462. &
- 1993 Characterization of an arabidopsis lipoxygenase gene responsive to methyl jasmonate and wounding. Plant Physiol., 103, 1133 1137. &
- 1995 Arabidopsis thaliana Atvsp is homologous to soybean VspA and Vsp, genes encoding vegetative storage protein acid phosphatases, and is regulated similarly by methyl jasmonate, wounding, sugars, light and phosphate. Plant Mol. Biol., 27, 933 942. , , ,
- 1984 Isolation and characterization of the proteinase inhibitor-inducing factor from tomato leaves. Identity and activity of the poly- and oligogalacturonide fragments. J. Biol. Chem., 258, 13172 13177. , , ,
- 1994 The role of thionins in plant protection. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci., 13, 1 16.
- 1990 Plant pathogenesis-related proteins induced by virus infection. Annu. Rev. Phytopath., 28, 113 138. , ,
- 1992 Elicitor- and wound-induced oxidative cross-linking of a proline-rich plant cell wall protein: a novel, rapid defense response. Cell, 70, 21 30. , ,
- 1995 Do plants tap SOS signals from their infested neighbours? Trends Ecol. Evol., 10, 167 170. , ,
- 1993 Expression of a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene from Camptotheca acuminata is differentially regulated by wounding and methyl jasmonate. Plant Physiol., 103, 41 48. , , ,
- 1996 The maize caffeic acid O-methyltransferase gene promoter is active in transgenic tobacco and maize plant tissues. Plant Mol. Biol., 31, 307 322. , , , , , , , ,
- 1994 Lipid-derived signals that discriminate wound- and pathogen-responsive isoprenoid pathways in plants: Methyl jasmonate and the fungal elicitor arachidonic acid induce different 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase genes and antimicrobial isoprenoids in Solanum tuberosum L. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci., 91, 2329 2333. , , ,
- 1984. Genomic sequencing. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci., 81, 1991 95. &
- 1995 Jasmonic acid distribution and action in plants: regulation during development and response to biotic and abiotic stress. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci., 92, 4114 4119. &
- 1993. Volatile products of the lipoxygenase pathway evolved from Phaseolus vulgaris (L.) leaves inoculated with Pseudomonas syringae pv Phaseolicola. Plant Phys., 101, 13 24. , ,
- 1990 Mechanism of hypersensitive cell collapse: correlation of increased lipoxygenase activity with membrane damage in leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris (L.) inoculated with an avirulent race of Pseudomonas syringae pv. Phaseolicola. Phys. Mol. Plant Path., 36, 49 62. , ,
- 1995 Expression of the Arabidopsis HMG2 gene, encoding 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, is restricted to meristematic and floral tissues. Plant Cell, 7, 517 527. , , ,
- 1995. An Arabidopsis thaliana thionin gene is inducible via a signal transduction pathway different from that for pathogenesis-related proteins. Plant Phys., 109, 813 820. , ,
- 1990 Interplant communication: airborne methyl jasmonate induces synthesis of proteinase inhibitors in plant leaves. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 87, 7713 7716. &
- 1992 Octadecanoid precursors of jasmonic acid activate the synthesis of wound-inducible proteinase inhibitors. Plant Cell, 4, 129 134. &
- 1988. Transcriptional regulation of the Arabidopsis thaliana chalcone synthase gene. Mol. Cell Biol., 8, 1985 92. &
- 1990 Hexanal, trans-2-hexenal, and trans-2-nonenal inhibit soybean, Glycine max, seed germination. J. Agr. Food Chem., 38, 1316 1320. , ,
- 1992 Expression, activity, and cellular accumulation of methyl jasmonate-induced lipoxygenase in soybean seedlings. Plant Physiol., 100, 433 443. , ,
- 1993 The biogeneration of green odour by green leaves. Phytochemistry, 34, 1201 1218.
- 1987. Biosynthesis pathway for C6-aldehydes formation from linolenic acid in green leaves. Chem. Phys. Lipids, 44, 341 361. , ,
- 1993 cdc2a expression in Arabidopsis is linked with competence for cell division. Plant Cell, 5, 1711 1723. , , , , ,
- 1993 Effects of some leaf-emitted volatile compounds on aphid population increase. J. Chem. Ecol., 19, 1875 1887. , , ,
- 1992 General roles of abscisic and jasmonic acids in gene activation as a result of mechanical wounding. Plant Cell, 4, 1157 1170. , , , , , ,
- 1987 The initiation of membrane lipid peroxidation during bacteria-induced hypersensitive reaction. Phys. Mol. Plant Path., 30, 233 245. &
- 1996 Cloning, molecular and functional characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana allene oxide synthase (CYP 74), the first enzyme of the octadecanoid pathway to jasmonates. Plant Mol. Biol., 31, 323 335. , , , ,
- 1987 Transcriptional activation of plant defense genes by fungal elicitor, wounding, and infection. Mol. Cell. Biol., 7, 335 341. &
- 1996 Jasmonate signalling can be uncoupled from abscisis acid signalling in barley: identification of jasmonate-regulated transcripts which are not induced by abscisic acid. Planta, 199, 625 632. , ,
- 1984 Lipoxygenase-mediated production of superoxide anion in senescing plant tissue. FEBS Lett., 173, 251 254. &
- 1987 Chalcone isomerase cDNA cloning and mRNA induction by fungal elicitor, wounding and infection. EMBO J., 6, 1527 1533. &
- 1993 An Arabidopsis lipoxygenase gene can be induced by pathogens, abscisic acid, and methyl jasmonate. Plant Physiol., 101, 441 450. , , , , ,
- 1996 Ethylene as a signal mediating the wound response of tomato plants. Science, 274, 1914 17. , , , , ,
- 1997 De novo biosynthesis of volatiles induced by insect herbivory in cotton plants. Plant Physiol., 114, 1161 1167. &
- 1991 A polypeptide from tomato leaves induces wound-inducible proteinase inhibitor proteins. Science, 253, 895 898. , , ,
- 1987 Ethylene in plant growth, development, and senescence. In Plant Hormones and Their Role in Plant Growth and Development (Davies, P.J., Ed.). Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, pp. 257 279.
- 1988 Lipid peroxidation is a consequence of elicitor activity. Plant Physiol., 86, 547 553. , ,
- 1996 Lipoxygenases in plants – their role in development and stress response. Z. Naturforsch. [C], 51, 123 138.
- 1996 The differential expression of wound-inducible lipoxygenase genes in soybean leaves. Plant Physiol., 110, 287 299. &
- 1993. The biochemistry and physiological and molecular actions of jasmonates. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 44, 569 589. &
- 1992 Effects of ionizing radiation on a plant genome: analysis of two arabidopsis transparent testa mutations. Plant Cell, 4, 333 347. , ,
- 1997 Airborned signalling by methyl salicylate in plant pathogen resistance. Nature, 385, 718 721. , ,
- 1993 Molecular cloning of an allene oxide synthase: a cytochrome P450 specialized for the metabolism of fatty acid hydroperoxides. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 90, 8519 8523. , ,
- 1992. Jasmonate, genes, and fragrant signals. Plant Physiol., 99, 804 807.
- 1992 Methyl jasmonate inhibition of root growth and induction of a leaf protein are decreased in an Arabidopsis thaliana mutant. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci., 89, 6837 6840. , ,
- 1995 How caterpillar-damaged plants protect themselves by attracting parasitic wasps. Proceedings Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 92, 4169 4174. , , , , ,
- 1992 Acquired resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 4, 645 656. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1992 Effects of C6–C10 alkenals and alkanals on eliciting a defence response in the developing cotton boll. Phytochem., 31, 2305 2308.
- 1996 The impact of alteration of polyunsaturated fatty acid level on C6-aldehyde formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol., 111, 805 812. , , ,