Present address: Cereals Research Department, John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK.
Salicylic acid is not required for Cf-2- and Cf-9-dependent resistance of tomato to Cladosporium fulvum
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 305–318, August 2000
How to Cite
Brading, P. A., Hammond-Kosack, K. E., Parr, A. and Jones, J. D. G. (2000), Salicylic acid is not required for Cf-2- and Cf-9-dependent resistance of tomato to Cladosporium fulvum. The Plant Journal, 23: 305–318. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.2000.00778.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 13 January 2000; revised 6 April 2000; accepted 17 April 2000.
- 1994 Cf gene-dependent induction of a β-1,3-glucanase promoter in tomato plants infected with Cladosporium fulvum . Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 7, 645 657. , , ,
- 1992 Disease development in ethylene-insensitive Arabidopsis thaliana infected with virulent and avirulent Pseudomonas and Xanthomonas pathogens. Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 5, 372 378. , , ,
- 1995 Hydrogen peroxide does not function downstream of salicylic acid in the induction of PR protein expression. Plant J., 8, 235 245. , , , ,
- 1997 Functional analysis of Cf gene-dependent defence responses in tomato. PhD Dissertation. Norwich: University of East Anglia.
- 1977 A light and scanning-electron microscopic study of infection of tomato plants by virulent and avirulent races of Cladosporium fulvum. Neth. J. Plant Pathol., 83, 109 122.
- 1992 Molecular characterization of gene-for-gene systems in plant–fungus interactions and the application of avirulence genes in control of plant pathogens. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol., 30, 391 418.
- 1982 Evidence for the occurrence of race and cultivar-specific elicitors of necrosis in intercellular fluids of compatible interactions of Cladosporium fulvum and tomato. Physiol. Plant Pathol., 21, 1 11. &
- 1994 A central role of salicylic acid in plant disease resistance. Science, 266, 1247 1250. , , et al.
- 1996 The tomato Cf-2 disease resistance locus comprises two functional genes encoding leucine-rich repeat proteins. Cell, 84, 451 459. , , , , ,
- 1983 A technique for radiolabelling DNA restriction endonuclease fragments to high specific activity. Anal. Biochem., 132, 6 13. &
- 1994 Arabidopsis mutants selected for resistance to the phytotoxin coronatine are male sterile, insensitive to methyl jasmonate, and resistant to a bacterial pathogen. Plant Cell, 6, 751 759. , , ,
- 1987 Efficient transfer of a glyphosate tolerance gene into tomato using a binary Agrobacterium tumefaciens vector. Bio/Technology, 5, 726 730. , , ,
- 1971 Current status of the gene-for-gene concept. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol., 9, 275 296.
- 1993 Requirement of salicylic acid for the induction of systemic acquired resistance. Science, 261, 754 756. , , , , , , , ,
- 1996 Isolation of Arabidopsis mutants with enhanced disease susceptibility by direct screening. Genetics, 143, 973 982. , ,
- 1980 Resistance at the Tm-2 locus in the tomato to tomato mosaic virus. Euphytica, 29, 189 197.
- 1994 Incomplete dominance of tomato Cf genes for resistance to Cladosporium fulvum. Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 7, 58 70. &
- 1997 Plant disease resistance genes. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 48, 575 607. &
- 1996 Race-specific elicitors of Cladosporium fulvum induce changes in cell morphology and the synthesis of ethylene and salicylic acid in tomato plants carrying the corresponding Cf disease resistance genes. Plant Physiol., 110, 1381 1394. , , ,
- 1983 A binary plant vector strategy based on separation of vir- and T-region of the Agrobacterium tumefaciens Ti-plasmid. Nature, 303, 179 180. , , ,
- 1997 Elicitor-stimulated ion fluxes and O2– from the oxidative burst are essential components in triggering defense gene activation and phytoalexin synthesis in parsley. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA , 94, 4800 4805. , , , ,
- 1987 GUS fusions: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J., 6, 3901 3907. , ,
- 1992 Effective vectors for transformation, expression of heterologous genes, and assaying transposon excision in transgenic plants. Transgen. Res., 1, 285 297. , , , , , ,
- 1994 Isolation of the tomato Cf-9 gene for resistance to Cladosporium fulvum by transposon tagging. Science, 266, 789 793. , , , ,
- 1990 Carbohydrate composition of apoplastic fluids isolated from tomato leaves inoculated with virulent or avirulent races of Cladosporium fulvum (syn. Fulvia fulva) . Neth. J. Plant. Pathol., 96, 103 112. , ,
- 1995 Pretreatment of parsley suspension cultures with salicylic acid enhances spontaneous and elicited production of H2O2. Plant Physiol., 108, 1171 1178. &
- 1980 Comparison of histological and physiological responses to Phakopsora pachyrhizi in resistant and susceptible soybean. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc., 74, 329 333. , ,
- 1996 A high-affinity binding site for the AVR9 peptide elicitor of Cladosporium fulvum is present on plasma membranes of tomato and other solanaceous plants. Plant Cell, 8, 929 938. , , ,
- 1997 The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 48, 251 275. &
- 1994 H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell, 79, 583 593. , , ,
- 1987 Improved method for the isolation of RNA from plant-tissues. Anal. Biochem., 163, 16 20. , ,
- 1990 Salicylic acid: a likely endogenous signal in the resistance response of tobacco to viral infection. Science, 250, 1002 1004. , , ,
- 1982 Molecular Cloning. A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 1996 Involvement of reactive oxygen species, glutathione metabolism, and lipid peroxidation in the Cf-gene-dependent defense response of tomato cotyledons induced by race-specific elicitors of Cladosporium fulvum. . Plant Physiol, 110, 1367 1379. , ,
- 1987 A simplified method for the detection of neomycin phosphotransferase II activity in transformed plant tissues. Plant Mol. Biol. Report , 5, 380 386. , , ,
- 1997 Compromising early salicylic acid accumulation delays the hypersensitive response and increases viral dispersal during lesion establishment in TMV-infected tobacco. Plant J., 12, 1113 1126. , , , ,
- 1996 Salicylic acid potentiates defence gene expression in tissue exhibiting acquired resistance to pathogen attack. Plant J., 9, 559 571. , , , , ,
- 1987 Resistance mechanisms of tobacco mosaic virus strains in tomato and tobacco. In: Plant Resistance to Viruses (Evered, D. & Harnett, S., eds). Chichester: Wiley, pp. 38 46. &
- 1998 Genetically engineered broad-spectrum disease resistance in tomato. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA , 95, 10300 10305. &
- 1996 Pathogen-induced systemic activation of a plant defensin gene in Arabidopsis follows a salicylic acid-independent pathway. Plant Cell, 8, 2309 2323. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998 Rapid, Cf-9- and Avr9-dependent production of active oxygen species in tobacco suspension cultures. Mol. Plant–Microbe Interact., 11, 1155 1166. , , ,
- 1997 Early events induced by the elicitor cryptogein in tobacco cells: involvement of a plasma membrane NADPH oxidase and activation of glycolysis and the pentose phosphate pathway. Plant Cell, 9, 2077 2091. , , , , , ,
- 1989 Regulation of heat production in the inflorescences of an Arum lily by endogenous salicylic acid. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA , 86, 2214 2218. , ,
- 1998 Jasmonate and salicylate as global signals for defense gene expression. Curr. Opin. Plant. Biol., 1, 404 411. &
- 1999 Rapid Avr9-and Cf-9-dependent activation of MAP kinases in tobacco cell cultures and leaves: convergence of resistance gene, elicitor, wound, and salicylate responses. Plant Cell, 11, 273 287. , , , , ,
- 1996 Systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell, 8, 1809 1819. , , , , ,
- 1990 Expression of a yeast-derived invertase in the cell wall of tobacco and Arabidopsis plants leads to accumulation of carbohydrate and inhibition of photosynthesis and strongly influences growth and phenotype of transgenic tobacco plants. EMBO J., 9, 3033 3044. , , , ,
- 1997 Salicylic acid potentiates an agonist-dependent gain control that amplifies pathogen signals in the activation of defense mechanisms. Plant Cell, 9, 1 10. , , , ,