Over-expression of a single Ca2+-dependent protein kinase confers both cold and salt/drought tolerance on rice plants
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
The Plant Journal
Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 319–327, August 2000
How to Cite
Saijo, Y., Hata, S., Kyozuka, J., Shimamoto, K. and Izui, K. (2000), Over-expression of a single Ca2+-dependent protein kinase confers both cold and salt/drought tolerance on rice plants . The Plant Journal, 23: 319–327. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.2000.00787.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Received 4 February 2000; revised 17 April 2000; accepted 17 April 2000.
- 1991 Isolation of genes for low-temperature-induced proteins in rice by a simple subtractive method. Plant Cell Physiol., 32, 1285 1289. , , ,
- 1997 Cycloheximide induces a subset of low temperature-inducible genes in maize. Mol. Gen. Genet., 254, 275 283.DOI: 10.1007/s004380050416 &
- 1997 Reversible protein phosphorylation regulates the activity of the slow-vacuolar ion channel. Plant J., 11, 1227 1235. &
- 1997 Wounding induces the rapid and transient activation of a specific MAP kinase pathway. Plant Cell, 9, 75 83. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Adaptations to environmental stresses. Plant Cell, 7, 1099 1111. , ,
- 1996 Calcium-dependent protein kinase gene expression in response to physical and chemical stimuli in mungbean (Vigna radiata) . Plant Mol. Biol., 30, 1129 1137. , , ,
- 1982 Plant productivity and environment. Science, 218, 443 448.
- 1997 Plant responses to water deficit. Trends Plant Sci., 2, 48 54.
- 1998a The plasma membrane H+-ATPase from maize roots is phosphorylated in the C-terminal domain by a calcium-dependent protein kinase . Physiol. Plant , 104, 549 555. , , ,
- 1998b 14–3−3 proteins activate a plant calcium-dependent protein kinase (CDPK). FEBS Lett., 430, 381 384. , ,
- 1990 Characterization of a rice gene showing organ-specific expression in response to salt stress and drought. Plant Cell, 2, 19 27. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Plant Molecular Biology – a Laboratory Manual. Berlin. Springer-Verlag. , ed.
- 1980 Saline culture of crops: a genetic approach. Science, 210, 399 404. , , , , , ,
- 1989 The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochim. Biophys. Acta , 990, 87 92. , ,
- 1997 cDNA cloning of squalene synthase genes from mono- and dicotyledonous plants, and expression of the gene in rice. Plant Cell Physiol., 38, 1409 1413. , , , , ,
- 1994 Efficient transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) mediated by Agrobacterium and sequence analysis of the boundaries of the T-DNA. Plant J., 6, 271 282. , , ,
- 1999 Transcriptional upregulation of signaling pathways: more complex than anticipated? Trends Plant Sci., 4, 7 8.
- 1998 Improving stress tolerance in plants by gene transfer. Trends Plant Sci., 3, 61 66. &
- 1997 Characterization of the gene for Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase and correlation between the expression of the gene and salt tolerance in Oryza sativa L. Plant Mol. Biol., 33, 857 865. , , , , ,
- 1997 Genetic analysis of osmotic and cold stress signal transduction in Arabidopsis: interactions and convergence of abscisic acid-dependent and abscisic acid-independent pathways. Plant Cell, 9, 1935 49. , , ,
- 1998 Arabidopsis CBF1 overexpression induces COR genes and enhances freezing tolerance. Science, 280, 104 106. , , , ,
- 1998 Gene cloning and expression of cytosolic glutathione reductase in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Cell Physiol., 39, 1269 1280. , , , ,
- 1999 The small GTP-binding protein Rac is a regulator of cell death in plants. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA , 96, 10922 10926. , , , , , ,
- 1996 Cold calcium signaling in Arabidopsis involves two cellular pools and a change in calcium signature after acclimation. Plant Cell, 8, 489 503. , ,
- 1997 Calcium signaling in Arabidopsis thaliana responding to drought and salinity. Plant J., 12, 1067 1078. , ,
- 1998 Abscisic acid signal transduction. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 49, 199 222. &
- 1998 Guard cells possess a calcium-dependent protein kinase that phosphorylates the KAT1 potassium channel. Plant Physiol., 116, 785 795. , ,
- 1998 The plasma membrane H+-ATPase from beet root is inhibited by a calcium-dependent phosphorylation . Planta, 204, 352 359.DOI: 10.1007/s004250050266 , ,
- 1998 Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 10, 1391 1406. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Low-temperature signal transduction: induction of cold acclimation-specific genes of alfalfa by calcium at 25°C. Plant Cell, 7, 321 331. &
- 1998 Low temperature signal transduction during cold acclimation: protein phosphatase 2A as an early target for cold-inactivation. Plant J., 13, 653 660. , ,
- 1993 Cold-induced changes in freezing tolerance, protein phosphorylation, and gene expression. Evidence for a role of calcium. Plant Physiol., 102, 1227 1235. , ,
- 1997 A group 3 LEA cDNA of rice, responsive to abscisic acid, but not to jasmonic acid, shows variety-specific differences in salt stress response. Gene, 191, 197 204.DOI: 10.1016/s0378-1119(97)00059-0 , ,
- 1999 Phosphorylation-dependent interactions between enzymes of plant metabolism and 14–3−3 proteins. Plant J., 18, 1 12.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.1999.00417.x , , et al.
- 1988 Abscisic acid and water-stress induce the expression of a novel rice gene. EMBO J., 7, 2279 2286. &
- 1962 A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant., 15, 473 497. &
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. New York. Columbia University Press.
- 1996 A novel chloride channel in Vicia faba guard cell vacuoles activated by the serine/threonine kinase, CDPK . EMBO J., 15, 6564 6574. , , ,
- 1992 Calcium-modulated proteins: targets of intracellular calcium signals in higher plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 43, 375 414. &
- 1997 cDNA cloning and prokaryotic expression of maize calcium-dependent protein kinases. Biochim. Biophys. Acta , 1350, 109 114. , , ,
- 1999 Communicating with calcium. Plant Cell, 11, 691 706. , ,
- 1999 Jasmonate-based wounding signal transduction requires activation of WIPK, a tobacco mitogen-activated protein kinase. Plant Cell, 11, 289 298. , ,
- 1996 Ca2+-dependent protein kinases and stress signal transduction in plants . Science, 274, 1900 02.
- 1997 Gene expression and signal transduction in water-stress response. Plant Physiol., 115, 327 334. &
- 1997 The induction of kin genes in cold-acclimating Arabidopsis thaliana. Evidence of a role for calcium . Planta, 203, 442 447.DOI: 10.1007/s004250050212 , , , ,
- 1994 Induction of chilling resistance by water stress, and cDNA sequence analysis and expression of water stress-regulated gene in rice. Plant Mol. Biol., 26, 339 352. , ,
- 1999 Plant cold acclimation: freezing tolerance genes and regulatory mechanisms. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 50, 571 599.
- 1997 Signal perception and transduction: the origin of the phenotype. Plant Cell, 9, 1181 1195. &
- 2000 Immunological analysis of the phosphorylation state of maize C4-form phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase with specific antibodies raised against a synthetic phosphorylated peptide . Plant J., 21, 17 26.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-313x.2000.00649.x , , et al.
- 1994 Two genes that encode Ca2+-dependent protein kinase are induced by drought and high-salt stresses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Mol. Gen. Genet., 244, 331 340. , , , , ,
- 1992 Determination of the site of phosphorylation of Nodulin 26 by the calcium-dependent protein kinase from soybean nodules. Biochemistry, 31, 8954 8959. &
- 1989 Rice alcohol dehydrogenase genes: anaerobic induction, organ specific expression and characterization of cDNA clones. Plant Mol. Biol., 13, 53 68. &
- 1996 Expression of a late embryogenesis abundant protein gene, HVA1, from barley confers tolerance to water deficit and salt stress in transgenic rice . Plant Physiol., 110, 249 257. , , , , ,
- 1989 Four tightly linked rab genes are differentially expressed in rice. Plant Mol. Biol., 14, 29 39. , ,
- 1999 Characterization of NtCDPK1, a calcium-dependent protein kinase gene in Nicotiana tabacum, and the activity of its encoded protein . Plant Mol. Biol., 39, 991 1001. , , , ,
- 1997 Molecular aspects of osmotic stress in plants. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci., 16, 253 277. , ,