Practices and beliefs of traditional birth attendants: lessons for obstetrics in the north?
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 2, Issue 12, pages 1175–1179, December 1997
How to Cite
Lefèber, Y. and Voorhoever, H. (1997), Practices and beliefs of traditional birth attendants: lessons for obstetrics in the north?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 2: 1175–1179. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3156.1997.d01-219.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2003
- 1981) TBAs among the Annang of Nigeria. Current practices and proposed programs. Social Science & Medicine 16, 1883–1892. (
- 1990) African Birth. Childbirth in Cultural Transition. Berev Publications CC , South Africa . (
- 1989) Cosmopolitical obstetrics: some insights from the training of traditional midwives. Social Sciences & Medicine 28, 925–944. (
- KayMA, (ed.) (1982) Anthropology of human birth. FA Davis Company, Philadelphia .
- 1982) The Social Context of Birth: Some Comparisons between Childbirth in Jamaica and Britain. In Ethnography of Fertility and Birth. (ed. C.MacCormack). Academic Press, London , pp. 181–205. (
- 1988) Die Gebärhaltung der Frau. Hans Marsieilie Verlag, München . (
- 1982) Giving Birth in a Malay village. In Anthropology of Human Birth (ed. MAKay), FA Davis Company Philadelphia , pp. 81–101. (
- 1994) Midwives Without Training, Practices and Beliefs of Traditional Birth Attendants in Africa, Asia and Latin America. PhD Thesis, Department of Medicine, University of Groningen. Van Gorcum, Assen . (
- 1969) Maternity care in a Zamibian district. PhD Thesis, Department of Medicine, University of Amsterdam. Van Campen NV, Amsterdam . (
- MacCormackCP, (ed) (1981) Ethnognaphy of Fertility and Birth. Academic Press, London .
- 1989. In praise of the Traditional Birth Attendam. Letter Lancet. 2, 862–886. (
- 1965) Zorg poor moeder en kind in ontwikkeling. Academic Thesis. University of Amsterdam. Voorhoeve HWA (1994) ‘Two-way traffic’. In Snÿden in cen andere cultuur. Artser over hun loopbaan in de troper. Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam , pp 18–22. (
- 1981) Sierra Leone: practices of untrained TBAs and support for TBA training and utilization. In The Traditional Birth Attendant in seven countries. Case Studies in Utilization and Training. (eds. AMangay-Maglacas & HPizurki), WHO, Geneva , pp. 71–97. (